Jockey/Trainer News - 2019

stark
Posts: 5058
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:25 pm

DEL MAR, Calif. – Hall of Fame jockey Julie Krone has been named the 16th winner of the Laffit Pincay Jr. Award, which honors those who have served racing with “integrity, extraordinary dedication, determination and distinction,” it was announced by Del Mar on Saturday.

https://www.drf.com/news/julie-krone-be ... y-jr-award
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark
Posts: 5058
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:11 pm

DEL MAR, Calif. – Jockey Norberto Arroyo Jr. received a 10-day suspension from the Del Mar stewards on Saturday for causing interference in Friday’s $100,351 Graduation Stakes that led to the disqualification of his mount from first to third, his third suspension in a little more than two weeks.


Arroyo has amassed 21 days of suspension since this meeting began on July 17 for causing interference in three races. He was given a four-day suspension on July 19 for causing interference in the second race on July 18. On July 27, Arroyo was given a seven-day suspension for causing interference in a race on July 25.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 10302
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:32 pm

Arroyo is also the jock who showed to a meeting with the stewards wearing only two towels. :oops:
After being told to come back more suitably attired, he became argumentative and insulting. Took the arrival of two 'escorts' to convince him to leave...hopefully to go get dressed?
Noberto may be taking the term 'pinhead' to a whole new level. :shock:
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 10302
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:49 pm

Looks like Arroyo is facing more trouble than just some suspensions by racing stewards. :shock:
JOCKEY ARROYO ARRESTED
Jockey Norberto Arroyo Jr. was arrested at Belmont Park on Friday afternoon for an incident that occurred in a pool hall that sent one victim to the hospital with serious head injuries.
According to Nassau County Fifth Squad detectives, on June 9 at 3:30 a.m., Arroyo, 25, was playing pool at Raxx Pool Hall in West Hempstead when he got into a verbal altercation with three males at the next pool table.
Arroyo allegedly approached one victim from behind with a wooden pool cue and struck the victim behind the left ear with the pool cue, leaving him disoriented. The defendant then allegedly struck a second victim in the arm and the third victim on the head, opening a deep cut and rendering him unconscious. He was transported to Winthrop University Hospital, where he underwent surgery to relieve a brain hemorrhage and subdural hematoma.
Arroyo was charged with three counts of possession of a dangerous weapon in the fourth degree, two counts of second-degree assault and one count of first-degree assault. He was arraigned at First Distinct Court in Hempstead yesterday.

https://nypost.com/2002/07/07/jockey-arroyo-arrested/

What an a-hole. :evil:
A man with those sorts of aggression issues should never be allowed on a horse again, let alone in a race when the lives of riders and horses are at stake if he gets pissed off and decides to act on it.
WaquoitNBroadBrush
Posts: 1155
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:22 am

Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:08 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:49 pm
Looks like Arroyo is facing more trouble than just some suspensions by racing stewards. :shock:
JOCKEY ARROYO ARRESTED
Jockey Norberto Arroyo Jr. was arrested at Belmont Park on Friday afternoon for an incident that occurred in a pool hall that sent one victim to the hospital with serious head injuries.
According to Nassau County Fifth Squad detectives, on June 9 at 3:30 a.m., Arroyo, 25, was playing pool at Raxx Pool Hall in West Hempstead when he got into a verbal altercation with three males at the next pool table.
Arroyo allegedly approached one victim from behind with a wooden pool cue and struck the victim behind the left ear with the pool cue, leaving him disoriented. The defendant then allegedly struck a second victim in the arm and the third victim on the head, opening a deep cut and rendering him unconscious. He was transported to Winthrop University Hospital, where he underwent surgery to relieve a brain hemorrhage and subdural hematoma.
Arroyo was charged with three counts of possession of a dangerous weapon in the fourth degree, two counts of second-degree assault and one count of first-degree assault. He was arraigned at First Distinct Court in Hempstead yesterday.

https://nypost.com/2002/07/07/jockey-arroyo-arrested/

What an a-hole. :evil:
A man with those sorts of aggression issues should never be allowed on a horse again, let alone in a race when the lives of riders and horses are at stake if he gets pissed off and decides to act on it.
You realize that story is 17 years old and Arroyo has already done his time, right?

That said, Arroyo was a sensational apprentice at Suffolk Downs and went on to great success on the NYRA circuit before his issues began to catch up with him. He was from Somerville, Mass., a suburb of Boston. I recall sitting in the simulcast area at Suffolk one weekend and getting into a conversation with a man who told me he knew Arroyo quite well -- he was the assistant principal (or some similar title) at Somerville High School when Arroyo was a student there. "He spent a lot of time in my office," he told me. Anyone familiar with the traditional duties of an assistant principal knows what that means!
WaquoitNBroadBrush
Posts: 1155
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:22 am

Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:12 am

https://www.wtok.com/content/news/Jocke ... 94891.html

Joe Jernigan, who rode for a few years in the '90s, primarily at Delta Downs, has died after a spill at a fair track in Mississippi. Who knew they had horse racing in Mississippi!
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 2991
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:04 am

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:12 am
https://www.wtok.com/content/news/Jocke ... 94891.html

Joe Jernigan, who rode for a few years in the '90s, primarily at Delta Downs, has died after a spill at a fair track in Mississippi. Who knew they had horse racing in Mississippi!
I didn't know that either, which is strange since I neighbor that state.

After a quick Google search I don't think they're "official" races. Probably a lot of MX as well.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 10302
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:20 pm

WNBB: You realize that story is 17 years old and Arroyo has already done his time, right?

Oops. :oops:
I missed the date on that article, which showed up on a racing site as though it were 'new' news. Thanks for the correction.
It does provide some insight into his background...and his anger issues. He may not be whacking people with pool cues anymore, but showing up to a steward's meeting wearing nothing but a couple of towels seems to indicate he's still got 'issues.' :?
stark
Posts: 5058
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:09 pm

8 good minutes for fans of Ron McAnally and John Henry....
https://www.xbtv.com/video/ron-mcanally ... -mcanally/
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
WaquoitNBroadBrush
Posts: 1155
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:22 am

Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:30 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:20 pm
WNBB: You realize that story is 17 years old and Arroyo has already done his time, right?

Oops. :oops:
I missed the date on that article, which showed up on a racing site as though it were 'new' news. Thanks for the correction.
It does provide some insight into his background...and his anger issues. He may not be whacking people with pool cues anymore, but showing up to a steward's meeting wearing nothing but a couple of towels seems to indicate he's still got 'issues.' :?
Seems that way. Funny thing is, my recollections of him from his Suffolk and New York years was that he wasn't a particularly reckless rider. He had a good clock in his head and was especially effective in route races on dirt and turf -- turf especially when he got to New York. I remember being so impressed with his skills that when the Eclipse Awards came out and he finished second behind Tyler Baze for top apprentice, I actually thought he'd been robbed!

I do recall one suspension he picked up in NY, though, primarily because he happened to show up at Suffolk with a bunch of, I presume, friends from his old neighborhood one day while suspended, hanging out on the apron and around the paddock, laughing and talking up a storm while wearing an impressive set of threads that likely cost far too much for him to even imagine owning before making it to the big leagues. Maybe it all came too fast for him, as it has for many other jockeys who've never seen big money before.
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 10302
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:12 pm

My other 'favorite' hotheaded pinhead just got another 'careless riding' suspension. 20 suspensions just since 2013. :roll:
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the- ... -saratoga/
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 10302
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:27 pm

Leading Quarter Horse Trainer S. Trey Wood Summarily Suspended
Leading Quarter Horse trainer S. Trey Wood has been summarily suspended by New Mexico Racing Commission stewards after one of his horses tested positive for the prohibited substance albuterol.
The suspension was issued Aug. 9 after 30 horses from Wood's barn had been entered in Aug. 16 -17 time trials at Ruidoso Downs for the Sept. 2 All American Futurity, Quarter Horse racing's most famous race.
The suspension was issued after Gold Heart Eagle V tested positive for albuterol after winning the fourth race at Ruidoso July 27.
Albuterol is a Class 3 drug with a Class A penalty in Quarter Horse racing under Association of Racing Commissioners International guidelines. Earlier this year, the New Mexico Racing Commission moved to make albuterol a “zero tolerance” drug because of its potential for abuse, similar to clenbuterol. Both drugs are bronchodilators as therapeutic treatment for airway obstruction but can have steroidal effects.
Wood was similarly suspended in 2018 for an albuterol positive at Remington Park in Oklahoma. His father, Blane Wood, took over training the stable's horses and he won the 2018 All American Futurity en route to winning the Blane Schvaneveldt Champion Trainer Award from the American Quarter Horse Association.

Read more: https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the- ... suspended/

Quarterhorse racing may have bigger issues than even TB racing does. The impression that illicit drug use is wide-spread is strong, and it doesn't help that some of its biggest races have seen horses that competed (or even won) die soon after their race.
If tracks like Remington or Ruidoso allow Trey's father to take over his stable again, this latest suspension will just be public window-dressing that does little to clean up the sport. :(
barbaro111
Posts: 568
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:43 pm

Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:57 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:49 pm
Looks like Arroyo is facing more trouble than just some suspensions by racing stewards. :shock:
JOCKEY ARROYO ARRESTED
Jockey Norberto Arroyo Jr. was arrested at Belmont Park on Friday afternoon for an incident that occurred in a pool hall that sent one victim to the hospital with serious head injuries.
According to Nassau County Fifth Squad detectives, on June 9 at 3:30 a.m., Arroyo, 25, was playing pool at Raxx Pool Hall in West Hempstead when he got into a verbal altercation with three males at the next pool table.
Arroyo allegedly approached one victim from behind with a wooden pool cue and struck the victim behind the left ear with the pool cue, leaving him disoriented. The defendant then allegedly struck a second victim in the arm and the third victim on the head, opening a deep cut and rendering him unconscious. He was transported to Winthrop University Hospital, where he underwent surgery to relieve a brain hemorrhage and subdural hematoma.
Arroyo was charged with three counts of possession of a dangerous weapon in the fourth degree, two counts of second-degree assault and one count of first-degree assault. He was arraigned at First Distinct Court in Hempstead yesterday.

https://nypost.com/2002/07/07/jockey-arroyo-arrested/

What an a-hole. :evil:
A man with those sorts of aggression issues should never be allowed on a horse again, let alone in a race when the lives of riders and horses are at stake if he gets pissed off and decides to act on it.
Totally agree_ he is a danger out there on the track-------
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 10302
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:11 pm

More on the Trey Woods situation:
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the- ... ty-trials/

I suspect that Ruidoso didn't want to lose 31 entrants from their big All American Futurity trials, so was in favor of allowing the horses to be transferred to other trainers.
The Comments after the article are interesting...and kinda informative. :oops:
stark
Posts: 5058
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:42 pm

I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Post Reply