Racing in UK cancelled due to equine influenza

Le Beau Bai

Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:28 pm

All meetings in Britain scheduled for Thursday have been cancelled following three confirmed cases of equine influenza, all from vaccinated horses in an active racing yard.
Full story https://www.racingpost.com/news/racing- ... eak/365303

This isn’t going to be a one day thing, I’m just hoping it won’t end up like the Australian racing industry in 2007...
lurkey mclurker

Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:18 pm

Wow... that is not good. :? Hoping for the best for all horses & connections involved...
Starine

Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:18 pm

Wow. I hadn't realized that it had gotten so bad.
carole

Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:45 pm

All meetings until next Wednesday (13/02) have now been cancelled. Over 100 yards are on lock down including Paul Nichols and Nicky Henderson, the two most prolific steeplechase trainers in Britain.

ETA: Donald McCain confirms that the source of the outbreak is from his yard
Sparrow Castle

Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:36 pm

Newborn foals most at risk from equine flu says TBA veterinary adviser
Newborn foals are among the most at risk members of the horse population, the Thoroughbred Breeders' Association's veterinary adviser James Crowhurst said on Thursday, following the confirmation of an outbreak of equine influenza.

While cases of the highly contagious virus have so far been confined to horses of racing age, Crowhurst, who is also a consultant clinician at the Newmarket Equine Hospital, said the TBA was understandably worried by the situation.
More: https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/b ... sor/365451
Le Beau Bai

Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:29 pm

Lasted news https://www.racingpost.com/news/equine- ... ner/365588
Three more horses at Donald McCain’s yard have tested positive for equine influenza, it emerged on Friday afternoon, including Raise A Spark, who ran at Ayr on Wednesday.

[…]

The BHA also revealed there was another suspicious case relating to a runner on the all-weather this week, which has led to another 50-plus yards being placed in lockdown.

The statement added: "A separate suspicious case – which has not yet been confirmed as a positive sample – has been identified at another yard.

"No links have been identified between this yard and the original yard. This yard had runners at the fixtures at Newcastle on February 5 and Wolverhampton on February 6, and as such the BHA has taken the further precautionary steps of placing all 54 yards of trainers who also had runners at these fixtures on hold and initiating testing of horses from these yards.
Honeymoon

Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:49 pm

It is all across the news here in the UK. We live near Newmarket and Huntingdon. I think it would be wise, for all people who had contact to infected horses, to stay away from any other equine facility. My gosh it‘s foaling season. The roads are full of trailer with mares who are on their way to their next matings.
Le Beau Bai

Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:59 pm

Honeymoon wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:49 pm
It is all across the news here in the UK. We live near Newmarket and Huntingdon. I think it would be wise, for all people who had contact to infected horses, to stay away from any other equine facility. My gosh it‘s foaling season. The roads are full of trailer with mares who are on their way to their next matings.
I’m near to Lambourn so it’s a similar situation. I also work with horses and students who have their own horses but handle ours too...a slight biosecurity nightmare at the moment even though the risks are tiny and they’re all vaccinated, you can never be too careful. We had the same thing when we had an outbreak of strangles in the local area.

On a different note, I was thinking early how nowadays racing only makes the headlines in the UK typically when something bad has happened; Cheltenham, Grand National, whip rules etc. Gone are the days when it was covered as part of the sports results.
Sparrow Castle

Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:37 pm

More studs issue new biosecurity measures ahead of breeding season
More studs in Britain have issued guidelines for breeders bringing mares to their premises as the covering season gets under way next week amid the equine influenza (EI) outbreak.

Tweenhills and Batsford Stud in Gloucestershire spelled out their revised requirements for mare owners on Thursday.

Some of the latest advice published is gathered below.

If you are a stud owner and would like to add any information on updated biosecurity measures, please email bloodstocknews@racingpost.com with details.
More: https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/b ... son/365695
Sparrow Castle

Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:39 pm

Nigel Twiston-Davies slams BHA for 'massive overreaction' to flu cases
Nigel Twiston-Davies believes the rigorous measures put in place by the BHA to contain equine influenza are "a massive overreaction".

The Grand National- and Gold Cup-winning trainer, who had a runner at Ludlow on Wednesday and so is among those who has had to have all his horses tested, described the BHA mandate as "a total knee-jerk reaction" and suggested the authority may find it has "opened a can of worms".

He said: "It's a massive overreaction. All horses are vaccinated, and so when they do get it, it's not really anything to worry about. They get sick, but not that sick – just a snotty nose and temperature.

"I should think every trainer in the country has a horse with a snotty nose, and what you do is take blood tests, take tracheal washes and take their temperature, and if they're clear they're all right.
More: https://www.racingpost.com/news/equine- ... ses/365656
Northport

Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:46 am

I guess the phrase 'better safe than sorry' doesn't appeal to him or his horses?
weeeeeeeee
ElPrado2

Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:51 am

Nice guy.
I guess he's forgotten that horses are bred, too.
Whoopee! You didn't get to run that stone cold favorite tomorrow because you're in quarantine. My heart bleeds.
Honeymoon

Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:22 am

Sparrow Castle

Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:06 pm

Great Britain: Racing to resume Wednesday
Racing will resume at four venues in Great Britain on Wednesday after six days of cancellations caused by Equine Influenza positives detected last week.

The British Horseracing Authority announced the resumption of racing late Monday evening in a statement, emphasizing that safeguards will be put in place to determine which stables can participate. The decision was made after consultations with the BHA's veterinary committee and after thousands of tests for Equine Influenza were conducted in recent days by the Animal Health Trust.

Since Wednesday, 10 horses have tested positive for Equine Influenza.
More: http://live.drf.com/nuggets/47009-great ... -wednesday