9th @ SA San Marcos $200K 1-1/4 Turf

Post Reply
stark
Posts: 4357
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:00 am

Strange collection of entries filling this race to 13......

Baffert has a G1 winning Argentinian dirt horse that can't run on our dirt as proven with Prat and Talamo aboard here last year. So....today he gives Evin Roman a leg up and tries him first time on the green. Freshened since Oct. Roman Rosso had won 5 of 10 with a healthy bankroll of $607,000 and is 12/1 on the morning line.

Baffert also sends out Dabster for his first try on turf. He's fast enough on dirt but can he transfer his form, listed at 5/1 on the ML.

Sadler sends out two also....Platinum Warrior with Shane Foley up for his second mount here on his apparent meal ticket, listed at 12/1 will need to improved from 3 prior efforts in the states. Sejo might be the more interesting entry from Sadler, winner of his last two in France in May and July has been off since then, adds Lasix today and is also listed at 12/1.
McCarthy has deeeep cheap closer at 30/1 who will find a meltdown to his liking someday.
Kent D. accepts a mount on a 30/1 shot off the 200 day layoff.
Joel Rosario gives a 20/1 shot his expertise.
Hmmmm!?!?!?


The favorites all seem to be logically placed in here, it's the "fillers" i'm curious about? I'm going with the rail horse from the Spawr barn just because he's good off the freshening. Curious what you think and will the public agree with the morning line maker in the this race????

1 Unapologetic (KY) 6/ L G Franco 120W Spawr 10/1 N/A
2 Roman Rosso (ARG) 5/HL E A Roman 120 B Baffert 12/1 N/A
3 Chicago Style (KY) 6/GL D Van Dyke 124T F Proctor 3/1 N/A
4 Epical (KY) 4/GL T Baze 120J M Cassidy 7/2 N/A
5 Platinum Warrior (IRE) 4/CL S Foley 122J W Sadler 12/1 N/A6
6 Sejo (IRE) 4/CL1 F Prat 120 J W Sadler 12/1 N/A
7 Dabster (KY) 5/HL J Talamo 120B Baffert 5/1 N/A
8 Beach View (MD) 6/H L R Bejarano 122L Powell 5/1 N/A
9 Lucky Soul (KY) 5/G L H Figueroa 120M W McCarthy 30/1 N/A
10 Flamboyant (FR) 8/GL B Blanc 120 P Gallagher 12/1 N/A
11 India Mantuana (KY) 5/M L J Rosario 117T R Bell, II 20/1 N/A
12 Ya Gotta Wanna (KY) 5/G L A T Gryder 120 P D'Amato 12/1 N/A
13 Prince of Arabia (KY) 6/H K J Desormeaux 120 J M Cassidy 30/1 N/A
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark
Posts: 4357
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:23 am

p.s. The main track is closed for training this morning in anticipation of showers, but I'm assuming this race will stay on the grass??
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
User avatar
Curtis
Posts: 950
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 am
Location: Monroe, WA
Contact:

Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:30 pm

I’ve noticed over the years that Spawr horses seem to get a lot of freshening, usually first off the claim. Seems like he has an inordinate amount of stock that suddenly develop breathing problems. They seem to comeback stronger than ever though.
stark
Posts: 4357
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:37 pm

I try not to ask why, I just bet with confidence ;)
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
User avatar
Starine
Posts: 4205
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:31 pm

I've been hearing good things about Sejo and he has looked good galloping but I'm passing on him. Not touching either of the Baffert horses; really no turf in either of their pedigrees.

I'm taking a shot on the mare India Mantuana. Good price and gets Rosario.
User avatar
Curtis
Posts: 950
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 am
Location: Monroe, WA
Contact:

Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:37 pm

stark wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:37 pm
I try not to ask why, I just bet with confidence ;)
That’s often time the best course of action.

I’ll take a stab with Paddy’s horse. He wins every blue moon. Since I’m looking at 2’ of snow outside—uncharactaristically, I do live near the Pacific Ocean—stranger things have happened. Good luck!
User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:26 pm

Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:42 am

Platinum Warrior seemed to have no problem with the race yesterday. I suppose some horses need more time to adjust than others.
stark
Posts: 4357
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:20 pm

Curtis wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:30 pm
I’ve noticed over the years that Spawr horses seem to get a lot of freshening, usually first off the claim. Seems like he has an inordinate amount of stock that suddenly develop breathing problems. They seem to comeback stronger than ever though.
stark wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:37 pm
I try not to ask why, I just bet with confidence ;)
Somedays it even works!

7th at SA Sunday
1 Risky Proposition Joseph Talamo 26.00 9.60 6.60
3 Keep Quiet (FR) Flavien Prat 4.20 3.00
2 Fight On Rafael Bejarano 4.40
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
User avatar
Curtis
Posts: 950
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 am
Location: Monroe, WA
Contact:

Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:45 pm

stark wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:20 pm
Curtis wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:30 pm
I’ve noticed over the years that Spawr horses seem to get a lot of freshening, usually first off the claim. Seems like he has an inordinate amount of stock that suddenly develop breathing problems. They seem to comeback stronger than ever though.
stark wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:37 pm
I try not to ask why, I just bet with confidence ;)
Somedays it even works!

7th at SA Sunday
1 Risky Proposition Joseph Talamo 26.00 9.60 6.60
3 Keep Quiet (FR) Flavien Prat 4.20 3.00
2 Fight On Rafael Bejarano 4.40
👍👍 What’s that song from The Music Man, “You Gotta Know the Territory?” As I say, don’t think you invented the world, just try and make sense of it.
Post Reply