Reasons why Barns go Ice Cold?

Blame

Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:47 pm

Noticed today while looking at Gulfstream Park's 5th race today that two excellent trainers Tom Albertrani and Jimmy Toner have horses entered and both barns have been ice cold. Albertrani has 1 win in his last 25 starts. Toner has 1 win in his last 48 starts. I hate to not use the Albertrani 1st time starter by Giants Causeway out of a Galileo mare or the Toner filly who probably needed her first race but these barns just are not winning races. Contrast that with Kiaran McGlaughlin winning 33 percent of his starts and Pletcher and Brown who are both winning with 25 percent of their starters. I have heard some trainers use the winter to just get their horses ready for the spring and maybe Albertrani and Toner are those types? Any logical reason why excellent trainers go this cold?
thinair

Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:45 pm

Albertrani never wins at a high percentage, and Toner probably just has mediocre stock. Have either been losing with a lot of short priced horses?

A lot of trainers use Gulfstream as a Winter respite to get ready for the Spring and Summer. The purses aren't great and some don't love the track.

Albertrani may well add a win at Tampa today.
Blame

Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:24 pm

thinair wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:45 pm
Albertrani never wins at a high percentage, and Toner probably just has mediocre stock. Have either been losing with a lot of short priced horses?

A lot of trainers use Gulfstream as a Winter respite to get ready for the Spring and Summer. The purses aren't great and some don't love the track.

Albertrani may well add a win at Tampa today.

Thank you. I like both Albertrani and Toner's horses in the 5th race today. Was just wondering if they go ice cold because they may not have their horses 100% ready during the winter. In that case it gets a little easier and cheaper to toss their horses from the top of the ticket when guys like Pletcher, Brown, or Mclaughlin also have horses in races.