Battle of Midway

Curtis

Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:23 pm

Well.......there goes my weekend. I think I’ll go give A.Y. and Border Run a hug.
prides2259

Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:32 pm

Reports are He has Been Euthinized RIP BOY
bare it all

Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:34 pm

Damnit.
Mylute

Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:37 pm

I cannot think of a single thing to say.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
peeptoad

Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:42 pm

That sucks.
WarBiscuit

Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:00 pm

So very sorry to hear this news. Condolences to all of those who cared for him.

Rest easy, Battle of Midway.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
Sparrow Castle

Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:35 pm

Days like this just break your heart! So sorry for all who loved him. Rest in peace, champ.
Izvestia

Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:41 pm

My heart dropped reading this news. What a goddamn shame, my heart goes out to his connections. It never gets easier seeing horses injured to a point of no return, but this really sucks because I was a big fan of this horse and was so elated seeing him back on the track. Now this.
RIP big guy, you deserved so much more than this.
Diver52

Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:50 pm

Just heard this on TVG. Poor guy; any luck he ever had was bad.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Ziggypop

Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:20 pm

I had an sickening feeling about him since hearing of his return to the track. Just heartbroken.
Mylute

Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:28 pm

Not to be that person if it sounds like it, but...is it just me or is there something up with Santa Anita?

How many fatalities does this make since the year began?
Curtis

Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:12 pm

Mylute wrote:
Not to be that person if it sounds like it, but...is it just me or is there something up with Santa Anita?

When Santa Anita and Del Mar changed their track surfaces a few years ago, the idea was to make them uniform with one another. Because of construction going on at LAX, they had access to El Sugundo Sand which is what was used in the track surface at both Santa Anita and Hollywood Park during, roughly, the ‘50’s-‘70’s. Those tracks were pretty much speedways back then, several WR’s were set or equaled. Presently, the surfaces of the two major so. CA tracks include that sand but both tracks are much deeper than they were back in the day. This is in hopes of finding a happy medium between a good, fair, albeit glib, surface and the departed synthetic surfaces. Deep tracks, as well as synthetic tracks, seem safer as you don’t see the overt breakdowns. What happens on these surfaces however, are soft tissue injuries which can greatly alter a horse’s career. If the horse was of marginal talent to begin with, who knows what happens to them as they very likely won’t come back nearly the same. What has happened to Santa Anita, this meet, is something they really can’t control, El Niño. The track is often rolled harder than normal, not always sealed, but harder than it normally would be in case of the weather. Hard tracks can lead to broken bones. Clean breaks can be okay because the bone can heal stronger than before. Catastrophic shattering of a pastern, which is what reportedly happened to Battle of Midway, is usually fatal. It’s got to be difficult maintaining a track. You can run them on cotton balls or Flubber and injuries are still going to occur. You just have to pick your poison.
Dusty

Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:21 pm

Such a sad day - my heart goes out to his owners - RIP Battle of Midway - I was hoping for a longer run - I hope one of babies makes him proud - Just heart breaking to hear this
May they run with the WIND
Mylute

Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:54 pm

Curtis wrote:
Mylute wrote:

When Santa Anita and Del Mar changed their track surfaces a few years ago, the idea was to make them uniform with one another. Because of construction going on at LAX, they had access to El Sugundo Sand which is what was used in the track surface at both Santa Anita and Hollywood Park during, roughly, the ‘50’s-‘70’s. Those tracks were pretty much speedways back then, several WR’s were set or equaled. Presently, the surfaces of the two major so. CA tracks include that sand but both tracks are much deeper than they were back in the day. This is in hopes of finding a happy medium between a good, fair, albeit glib, surface and the departed synthetic surfaces. Deep tracks, as well as synthetic tracks, seem safer as you don’t see the overt breakdowns. What happens on these surfaces however, are soft tissue injuries which can greatly alter a horse’s career. If the horse was of marginal talent to begin with, who knows what happens to them as they very likely won’t come back nearly the same. What has happened to Santa Anita, this meet, is something they really can’t control, El Niño. The track is often rolled harder than normal, not always sealed, but harder than it normally would be in case of the weather. Hard tracks can lead to broken bones. Clean breaks can be okay because the bone can heal stronger than before. Catastrophic shattering of a pastern, which is what reportedly happened to Battle of Midway, is usually fatal. It’s got to be difficult maintaining a track. You can run them on cotton balls or Flubber and injuries are still going to occur. You just have to pick your poison.
Good information. I didn't remember or know anything about the history of the dirt track, aside from Santa Anita having previously been synthetic (which causes debate over Zenyatta's career in comment sections). It just seemed to me that there's been a lot of fatalities in such a short period of time. I don't remember there being this many last winter/early spring.
Catalina

Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:00 pm

I wish they could find a better way of dealing with El Nino events. They happen with great frequency.

RIP Battle of Midway.
Catalina

Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:01 pm

Ziggypop wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:20 pm
I had an sickening feeling about him since hearing of his return to the track. Just heartbroken.
That.
Retrospectiv

Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:08 pm

Just from seeing Barbara Livingston's photos this afternoon, that's atleast 3 horses dead at Santa Anita in 24 hours from track injuries.
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Curtis

Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:10 pm

Mylute wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:54 pm
Curtis wrote:
Mylute wrote:

Good information. I didn't remember or know anything about the history of the dirt track, aside from Santa Anita having previously been synthetic (which causes debate over Zenyatta's career in comment sections). It just seemed to me that there's been a lot of fatalities in such a short period of time. I don't remember there being this many last winter/early spring.
Well, the main difference between last year and this year is the amount of rain and the period of time in which it occurs. The track was more open and deeper last year and the prevalent type of injury on such a track is of the soft tissue variety which seems less harmful. The synthetic period in so. CA, I think, is going be looked at historically as an aberration. It was snake oil to an extent, as it was marketed as just lay it down and don't add water. After all it's so. CA and as everyone knows the natives run around in Speedos and bikinis. ;) All three major tracks had three different micro climates so as much as it may seem logical, one size didn't fit all. Polytrack at Del Mar for instance, was great to train on in the morning when the marine layer was present and the moisture from the atmosphere tightened up the track. By the afternoon the track was ridiculously deep. Good horses looked like they were going the wrong way on a conveyor belt down the stretch. The first year of Polytrack, 2007, it was like an entire meet of an old school off track when a big storm would relegate a track to several days of heavy or slow designation. Some horses handled it and some just hated it. There was a 3yo gelding named Rush With Thunder who was a pretty ordinary horse. He was a holy terror on Polytrack in 2007. If memory serves, he was the first horse--and perhaps only--that meet to break 1:40 for a mile when he won a division of the El Cajon Stakes the last week of the meeting. I considered, briefly, having the connections autograph my program as, on that track, Rush With Thunder's feat seemed to rank with Dr. Fager. The best, and dirtiest, was Hollywood Park's Cushion Track. The thing was though, the climate in Inglewood is much more consistent throughout a given day and so there was very little variance. When Santa Anita tried to use the same exact surface, it was a disaster due to Arcadia's micro climate.
stark

Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:24 pm

.......and, this is the first year without track super Dennis Moore who retired. While it's true that his longtime assistant is very experienced, stepping into the #1 role can result in some unknowns?

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/peop ... perations/
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.