Jeremy Balan

stark
Posts: 4900
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:39 pm

Every time the conversation about a national governing body comes up I try and think who could fill that role?
Who could make deals with state governments while at the same time keep the breeding industry happy and let's not forget about the owners and trainers no matter if they're in New York or California and lastly the customer might have some demands too.

I honestly cannot think of anybody, living or dead that could pull it off.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 6018
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:40 pm

Yep, and isn't Tracy Gantz, who's been writing the BH articles on Jeremy's former beat, married to Jon White who works for Santa Anita? Hence the need for an independent national commission void of even perceived conflicts of interest.
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 6018
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:57 pm

stark wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:39 pm
Every time the conversation about a national governing body comes up I try and think who could fill that role?
Who could make deals with state governments while at the same time keep the breeding industry happy and let's not forget about the owners and trainers no matter if they're in New York or California and lastly the customer might have some demands too.

I honestly cannot think of anybody, living or dead that could pull it off.
Why so focused on one individual? One individual doesn't make unilateral decisions for any commission I'm familiar with. I think the NFL owners select their commissioner, but this doesn't have to be structured exactly like the NFL. It could be structured more like a board, who's members, representing various segments of the industry, could appoint the director as well as lead sub-committees focused on various issues. I haven't researched various structural models that might work in our industry, but I don't see this as an insurmountable problem.
User avatar
Blame
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:12 am

Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:48 am

Someone with a little pull in the business may need to step in on this one. Jeremy did his job. California allows trainers like Baffert to get away with murder, some would say literally, of horses, with no suspension, then a writer does his job and he gets suspended? Something not right here.
User avatar
Curtis
Posts: 1129
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 am
Location: Monroe, WA
Contact:

Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:14 pm

Blame wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:48 am
Someone with a little pull in the business may need to step in on this one. Jeremy did his job. California allows trainers like Baffert to get away with murder, some would say literally, of horses, with no suspension, then a writer does his job and he gets suspended? Something not right here.
Baffert has a better lawyer.
User avatar
Curtis
Posts: 1129
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 am
Location: Monroe, WA
Contact:

Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:23 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:57 pm
stark wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:39 pm
Every time the conversation about a national governing body comes up I try and think who could fill that role?
Who could make deals with state governments while at the same time keep the breeding industry happy and let's not forget about the owners and trainers no matter if they're in New York or California and lastly the customer might have some demands too.

I honestly cannot think of anybody, living or dead that could pull it off.
Why so focused on one individual? One individual doesn't make unilateral decisions for any commission I'm familiar with. I think the NFL owners select their commissioner, but this doesn't have to be structured exactly like the NFL. It could be structured more like a board, who's members, representing various segments of the industry, could appoint the director as well as lead sub-committees focused on various issues. I haven't researched various structural models that might work in our industry, but I don't see this as an insurmountable problem.
Most all of the major sports leagues in this country have a commissioner making decisions. The last ML Commissioner I can think of that ran afoul of the owners was Fay Vincent for MLB and he was fired by the owners and replaced with an owner. I guess it’s fine if said commissioner can do the job impartially. Realize though David Stearn, the one-man band who used to run the NBA, is quite culpable for the crickets heard most winter nights at Key Arena.
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 10135
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:28 pm

Has anyone actually gotten Balan's side of the story? Or Bloodhorse's?
Was he fired? Suspended? Was there cause for his employer to have a problem with him? Did he quit because of the circumstances? We don't know what happened behind the scenes.
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 6018
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:33 pm

Curtis wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:23 pm
Sparrow Castle wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:57 pm
stark wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:39 pm
Every time the conversation about a national governing body comes up I try and think who could fill that role?
Who could make deals with state governments while at the same time keep the breeding industry happy and let's not forget about the owners and trainers no matter if they're in New York or California and lastly the customer might have some demands too.

I honestly cannot think of anybody, living or dead that could pull it off.
Why so focused on one individual? One individual doesn't make unilateral decisions for any commission I'm familiar with. I think the NFL owners select their commissioner, but this doesn't have to be structured exactly like the NFL. It could be structured more like a board, who's members, representing various segments of the industry, could appoint the director as well as lead sub-committees focused on various issues. I haven't researched various structural models that might work in our industry, but I don't see this as an insurmountable problem.
Most all of the major sports leagues in this country have a commissioner making decisions. The last ML Commissioner I can think of that ran afoul of the owners was Fay Vincent for MLB and he was fired by the owners and replaced with an owner. I guess it’s fine if said commissioner can do the job impartially. Realize though David Stearn, the one-man band who used to run the NBA, is quite culpable for the crickets heard most winter nights at Key Arena.
Yeah, commissioners in sport leagues are unique, which is why I said we don't have to structure ours that way. But even in the NFL, the commissioner has unilateral authority only when he has the agreement of the owners, who are in effect their bosses. It's similar to the governance of a board of directors to whom the CEO is accountable. They hire the commissioner to handle the issues on their behalf, but he knows they can fire him too. We have more than just owners to speak for in our industry, so I don't think it can be structured exactly the same.

As for Stearn, that's a dirty word in my family. I followed our NBA team as avidly, if not more so, than I do horseracing. And I haven't watched a basketball game since, not even on TV. It's been a long time carrying a grudge, but I won't even watch until the NBA rectifies that horror and gives us a team again. Since then, outside of horseracing, our NFL team has my love and money (season tickets) and baseball to a lesser degree (no season tickets but go to games). The NBA may never recapture my loyalty as completely as it once did. Stearn = :evil:
stark
Posts: 4900
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:04 pm

Stop and think about the current cast of characters you can draw from. Whether it's a committee or a dictator I see no apparent reason why they would be better than the individual states.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 6018
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:09 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:28 pm
Has anyone actually gotten Balan's side of the story? Or Bloodhorse's?
Was he fired? Suspended? Was there cause for his employer to have a problem with him? Did he quit because of the circumstances? We don't know what happened behind the scenes.
He's definitely gone from BH. His BH account was deactivated. https://twitter.com/BH_JBalan?ref_src=t ... r%5Eauthor
I don't think the reason is going to ever be clarified. Some speculate he had an NDA, and he's certainly acting like he can't say anything. Crickets from BH too. This story is making the rounds on his behalf.

Deadspin Verified account@Deadspin
Bradley University has apologized for reducing a beat writer's access to the men's basketball team because he didn't promote the school's "brand" enough: https://deadspin.com/bradley-universit ... in_twitter

Pullthepocket @Pullthepocket
3h3 hours ago
There are some similarities between the Bradley and Santa Anita statements.
Image
https://twitter.com/Pullthepocket/statu ... 0617762816
Catalina
Posts: 3581
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:45 pm

LOL...
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 6018
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:09 pm

stark wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:04 pm
Stop and think about the current cast of characters you can draw from. Whether it's a committee or a dictator I see no apparent reason why they would be better than the individual states.
You are entitled to your opinion, but for the sake of its credibility at least with me, I have to ask. Have you had a role in racing that gets you up close and personal with the horses and their connections? Have you ever looked at the 38 state racing commissions, how members are appointed, how they make decisions, their relationships with track owners and those with power at a local level? I'm not talking about only in CA, NY, KY, FL, but across all the 34 states.

I worked for a time in our governor's office and took particular interest in the commissions here. It's all very political how/why many state commission members get appointed, and not just for horse racing. They do not always represent the voice of the participants in any given industry. Good ones seek input to varying degrees, but many do not and are very controversial.

State racing commissions have had many years to make improvements in the sport as it faces the prevailing winds of change in culture and public perception. Change is hard, and I don't think they have the ability to undertake what must change for racing to survive in many states.

At the national level, the Association of Racing Commissioners International (ARCI) developed model rules over a decade ago for the states commissions to adopt (known as NUMP). This was to address uniformity across states and for the health and welfare of the horses. The last time I looked a couple of years ago, not one of even the major racing jurisdictions has adopted NUMP in its entirety (rather than banning lasix on race day, third party administration of lasix is one of the model rules).

It looks to me like it's the state racing commissions that have stalled progress in horse racing at even a basic level.

You can read the model rules and follow the adoption of them state by state here http://tharacing.com/medication/nationa ... -progress/.
stark
Posts: 4900
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:22 pm

Jeremy Balan
‏@jeremybalan

Tough to say goodbye today to a lot of friends at BloodHorse. There are tons of great people there who helped me develop as a writer & person. For the vast majority of my time there I loved the job & I love covering racing, but I'm excited for what's ahead, whatever that might be
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
katmandu
Posts: 1114
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:16 am

Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:46 pm

Just my own particular humor, but I was amused at (what I assume) JB's last article for BH, dated yesterday, headlined "War of Will". . .
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 6018
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:39 pm

katmandu wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:46 pm
Just my own particular humor, but I was amused at (what I assume) JB's last article for BH, dated yesterday, headlined "War of Will". . .
Looks like a double entendre for sure, lol!
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 6018
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:29 pm

Jeremy Balan @jeremybalan
4h4 hours ago
Replying to @kipsy1979
Dave,

There are lots of reasons. There may be a time when I can explain things better and there may not. Just doing the best I can to take the right steps.

Thanks for your support.

https://twitter.com/jeremybalan/status/ ... 7423612928
thinair
Posts: 1728
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:46 pm

Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:30 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:29 pm
Jeremy Balan @jeremybalan
4h4 hours ago
Replying to @kipsy1979
Dave,

There are lots of reasons. There may be a time when I can explain things better and there may not. Just doing the best I can to take the right steps.

Thanks for your support.

https://twitter.com/jeremybalan/status/ ... 7423612928
I'm not sure if you know this, but Twitter is not real life.
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 6018
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:44 pm

thinair wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:30 pm
Sparrow Castle wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:29 pm
Jeremy Balan @jeremybalan
4h4 hours ago
Replying to @kipsy1979
Dave,

There are lots of reasons. There may be a time when I can explain things better and there may not. Just doing the best I can to take the right steps.

Thanks for your support.

https://twitter.com/jeremybalan/status/ ... 7423612928
I'm not sure if you know this, but Twitter is not real life.
LOL, nor is the media, the racetrack and backside, and major league sports, but I still spend a lot of time there. Hey I'm even one of your Twitter followers, LOL.
hadrianmarcus
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:28 pm

Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:46 pm

thinair wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:30 pm
Sparrow Castle wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:29 pm
Jeremy Balan @jeremybalan
4h4 hours ago
Replying to @kipsy1979
Dave,

There are lots of reasons. There may be a time when I can explain things better and there may not. Just doing the best I can to take the right steps.

Thanks for your support.

https://twitter.com/jeremybalan/status/ ... 7423612928
I'm not sure if you know this, but Twitter is not real life.

And despite that, it's cost plenty of people their real jobs in the real world.
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 6018
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:05 am

hadrianmarcus wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:46 pm
thinair wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:30 pm
Sparrow Castle wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:29 pm
Jeremy Balan @jeremybalan
4h4 hours ago
Replying to @kipsy1979
Dave,

There are lots of reasons. There may be a time when I can explain things better and there may not. Just doing the best I can to take the right steps.

Thanks for your support.

https://twitter.com/jeremybalan/status/ ... 7423612928
I'm not sure if you know this, but Twitter is not real life.

And despite that, it's cost plenty of people their real jobs in the real world.
Good point, hadrianmarcus. Sadly true. That's why I very rarely Tweet, or post on Facebook. I just read them. Tweets are much quicker to scroll through than FB posts which I prefer to reserve for family and friends.
Post Reply