Boycott of Bloodhorse and Stronach Tracks

Blame

Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:57 am

Usually not big on boycotts, but they will no longer get my traffic, and I will no longer wager on Gulfstream (only 2 weeks left for me anyway) or Santa Anita. Isn't Balan the same guy who won an Eclipse for his coverage of the fires at San Luis Rey? The sport needs more people who point out the problems in the sport. Not fewer.

If he has a GoFundMe page please post it here.

Thank you.
Somnambulist

Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:33 pm

It's hard to say whether or not they canned him for a legit reason. But their handling of this vs. their handling of Haskin and the awful rescue woman is very strange. I feel like we are owed an explanation but really, are we truly owed anything?

I've never felt worse about being a fan of racing than I have this past week.
Blame

Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:39 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
It's hard to say whether or not they canned him for a legit reason. But their handling of this vs. their handling of Haskin and the awful rescue woman is very strange. I feel like we are owed an explanation but really, are we truly owed anything?

I am a customer of their tracks. I read the Bloodhorse and used to subscribe years ago. Am I owed anything? I don't know. I own a business, and I believe my customers are owed something every time they use my services. If they want to act this way it will cost them my business. As long as the Breeders Cup is run out there they will lose my business as well. And traditionally when you add up my wagering, hotel, food, and airfare it comes to thousands of dollars of business Santa Anita and California are going to lose. Not a big deal. But it is something.
Blame

Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:41 pm

Blame wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:39 pm
Somnambulist wrote:

They did not can him for a legit reason. He is an Eclipse Award winning journalist. They could have suspended him a week if he broke some rules. This is about the big guys unhappy with critical coverage of their business.

I am a customer of their tracks. I read the Bloodhorse and used to subscribe years ago. Am I owed anything? I don't know. I own a business, and I believe my customers are owed something every time they use my services. If they want to act this way it will cost them my business. As long as the Breeders Cup is run out there they will lose my business as well. And traditionally when you add up my wagering, hotel, food, and airfare it comes to thousands of dollars of business Santa Anita and California are going to lose. Not a big deal. But it is something.
Blame

Firing someone for doing their job is ridiculous.
Last edited by Blame on Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blame

Did they can him for a legit reason? Doubtful. He is an Eclipse Award winning journalist. They could have suspended him a week if he broke some rules. This is about the big guys unhappy with critical coverage of their business.

MR-W

Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:18 pm

First of all, whether we like it or not we do not know the entire story behind the firing of Balen. From where we're at it sure doesn't look good. Hopefully in the near future we will get the whole truth, whether the truth is what we think it is or that there might be a little more to it. With that said, I totally disagree with a boycott. If you got your wish this would cost multitudes of employees their jobs at the tracks involved as well as many other businesses that are connected to the industry in both California and Florida. It would hurt the horse racing industry nationwide.
As far as the Breeders' Cup goes, why would you boycott that? Do you want to see that fail too?
stark

Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:30 pm

Blame wrote:
I haven't seen unanimous public outcry since...
Well, since Jussie Smollett.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Somnambulist

Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:54 pm

MR-W wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:18 pm
First of all, whether we like it or not we do not know the entire story behind the firing of Balen. From where we're at it sure doesn't look good. Hopefully in the near future we will get the whole truth, whether the truth is what we think it is or that there might be a little more to it. With that said, I totally disagree with a boycott. If you got your wish this would cost multitudes of employees their jobs at the tracks involved as well as many other businesses that are connected to the industry in both California and Florida. It would hurt the horse racing industry nationwide.
As far as the Breeders' Cup goes, why would you boycott that? Do you want to see that fail too?
Racing clearly has no interest in whether or not it fails so why should we?

A boycott would probably never work, just because I don't think enough people would follow through with it. But the public outcry is real here for a reason. Racing has held out for a long time because it's been the the only form of legal gambling. With nationwide sports books opening up it's like knocking a pillar out IMO. PETA managed to completely change Seaworld down based on a poorly researched propaganda video . I'm not for whales living in a 2 x4, but I can't believe that most of the internet and public sensationalism actually had an educated thought on the subject. Now that Santa Anita literally gave PETA credence I don't get why people aren't seeing the writing on the wall. I think it's really, really obvious and the industry needs to get their shit together. Instead of anyone getting their shit together we literally have this gigantic debacle.

It is so frustrating loving horses, and racing, and then spending your free time infuriated at how it's operated. Life is stressful enough, at what point do I just stick my money on baseball only and call it a day?
stark

Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:07 pm

Baseball has indeed clamped down on the steroid issues so that you can wager with confidence.

However, their national governing body still has some work to do. Ballpark dimensions should be the same like the NFL. No reason that some parks should favor a left handed hitter over a rightie and no parks should favor pitchers over hitters.

Ahhh, the beauty of having a national czar for uniformity.
Curtis

Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:49 pm

Blame wrote:
Not if they’re doing it differently than you instructed.
thinair

Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:10 pm

Blame wrote:
I'm in NO way condoning anyone's behavior in this situation, but he was not fired.
Sparrow Castle

Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:13 pm

I can agree that he wasn’t fired. It’s at least 99% likely he resigned in the face of unacceptable restrictions put around his reporting.

I didn’t post this at the time, but there was chatter about the training incident that seemed to be the last straw in Jeremy’s employment with BH. That was the 2 year old that collided with another horse during very early morning training hours and Jeremy checked on back at the barn. The chatter was when this horse was vanned off, the lights mysteriously were out on the track for about 10 minutes. Maybe they thought, if nobody could see or film it, they could get away with this one under the cover of darkness…until Jeremy reported on it.

Whether that’s true or not is beyond the point. It’s a very sad state of affairs when I and others consider backside chatter – yes infamous backside chatter – more credible than what we read in racing publications. We may not know exactly how it came down and who put the pressure on to silence him, but it's not hard to connect the dots.

And don’t forget how tirelessly he worked during the SLR fires, as the desperate efforts to locate missing horses and identify those who were found continued for days on end. Nobody went above and beyond to keep us updated like he did…nobody. His reporting on that tragedy was so appreciated by all of so familiar with those horses and the people affected, and it won him an Eclipse award.

I hate feeling like a conspiracy theorist, but that’s where the available evidence points here. Whether he’s covering CHRB meetings or providing information about specific horses, trainers, owners, or others in racing, losing this most excellent west coast journalist is a huge loss for all of us. If only some other entity in California would hire him to continue what he’s been doing for us…
Catalina

Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:02 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:13 pm
I can agree that he wasn’t fired. It’s at least 99% likely he resigned in the face of unacceptable restrictions put around his reporting.

I didn’t post this at the time, but there was chatter about the training incident that seemed to be the last straw in Jeremy’s employment with BH. That was the 2 year old that collided with another horse during very early morning training hours and Jeremy checked on back at the barn. The chatter was when this horse was vanned off, the lights mysteriously were out on the track for about 10 minutes. Maybe they thought, if nobody could see or film it, they could get away with this one under the cover of darkness…until Jeremy reported on it.

Whether that’s true or not is beyond the point. It’s a very sad state of affairs when I and others consider backside chatter – yes infamous backside chatter – more credible than what we read in racing publications. We may not know exactly how it came down and who put the pressure on to silence him, but it's not hard to connect the dots.

And don’t forget how tirelessly he worked during the SLR fires, as the desperate efforts to locate missing horses and identify those who were found continued for days on end. Nobody went above and beyond to keep us updated like he did…nobody. His reporting on that tragedy was so appreciated by all of so familiar with those horses and the people affected, and it won him an Eclipse award.

I hate feeling like a conspiracy theorist, but that’s where the available evidence points here. Whether he’s covering CHRB meetings or providing information about specific horses, trainers, owners, or others in racing, losing this most excellent west coast journalist is a huge loss for all of us. If only some other entity in California would hire him to continue what he’s been doing for us…
There's probably a lot of people, not just on the backside, whose eyebrows went up at that "coincidence". Of course, if it happens again, the mantle of "coincidence" will permanently be destroyed. And the mantle of "credibility".
Somnambulist

Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:30 am

Paulick isn't perfect but he's not afraid to take the industry to task. I'm looking forward to a lengthy opinion piece.
thinair

Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:32 am

Somnambulist wrote:
Paulick isn't perfect but he's not afraid to take the industry to task. I'm looking forward to a lengthy opinion piece.
It's going to be a long wait. Bring a lifetime of supplies:-)
Somnambulist

Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:35 am

thinair wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:32 am
Somnambulist wrote:
It's going to be a long wait. Bring a lifetime of supplies:-)
Patience is the one virtue I have in spades, fortunately. Or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it.
stark

Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:29 am

If somebody would just pay Paulick to write a piece he'll get it done today.

Pay a little extra and he'll write it exactly like you want it.
Gemini

Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:59 am

Somnambulist wrote:

A good enough lawyer could possibly make a credible case that Haskin assisted her in committing fraud. Not that it matters... the ship sailed.

What I hate most is that Haskin was a cowardly little twerp about the issue, never took responsibility for anything, and still gets paid to gush over the gallop-out of random maiden races while disguising it as a Derby Dozen.
stark

Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:16 am

thinair wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:10 pm
Blame wrote:
I'm in NO way condoning anyone's behavior in this situation, but he was not fired.
I think what you meant to say was "Nah nah nah-nah nahhh, I'm an industry insider and I know somethin you don't know, nah nah nah-nah nahhh"

Otherwise I'm not sure why you'd share something like that with the unwashed masses.