Baltimore vs. Stronach Group

WarBiscuit

Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:18 pm

"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
Flute

Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:59 am

That Bloodhorse article doesn't mention the part where they intend to rotate the track 30 degrees, which in my opinion destroys a lot of the argument for keeping the Preakness at Pimlico for the historical continuity (maybe I am the only one who feels that way though -- in my opinion once it's not at the same Pimlico track that has been there for 144 years it still doesn't "count" as it isn't the same track the other Triple Crown winners ran on). :(

https://www.baltimoresun.com/maryland/b ... story.html
Apollo

Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:38 am

Bravo. Multipurpose and mostly temporary is extremely sensible. Most sensible of all is keeping the Preakness away from Laurel. That overwhelmed any other variable.

If you go to Laurel you might as well run the race in the parking lot of some factory warehouse. At least that way there would be some character.
Vandalay

Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:41 am

Laurel looks much more like a racetrack than the proposed Pimlico,..where to begin?

1. NO permanent grandstand to speak of, just a large clubhouse, which would be fine for everyday cards, but NOT for a major sporting event like the Preakness.

2. If the private use parcels are sold, parking will be a total nightmare..

3. Not wild about re-situating the track, but Pimlico as it is now, sits in a "diamond" making things quite awkward.
Starine

Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:50 pm

Flute wrote:
That Bloodhorse article doesn't mention the part where they intend to rotate the track 30 degrees, which in my opinion destroys a lot of the argument for keeping the Preakness at Pimlico for the historical continuity (maybe I am the only one who feels that way though -- in my opinion once it's not at the same Pimlico track that has been there for 144 years it still doesn't "count" as it isn't the same track the other Triple Crown winners ran on). :(

That is unfortunate.
CorridorZ75

Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:02 pm

Love the plans. I think it is the best of the compromises. I also think it is useless sentimentality to bemoan the turn of the track. Old Hilltop lost it hill decades ago. I doubt many people or horses who had raced on the track in its infancy and youth would recognize it currently anyway.
Charlie

Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:10 am

Flute wrote:

I get the sentiment, but Pimlico is old, to say that track has never changed in some way, shape or form in the past 149 years is silly. The TC has changed distances, dates, and order a bunch. A small change to the degree of the track isn't any worse.

Don't people complain about the track anyway?