2019 Kentucky Derby

luvsgeldings

Sun May 05, 2019 1:23 pm

I guess his point was that everyone is paying such close attention to what MS did in that final turn, it might be worth checking out the jocks on WoW and CH in that whole situation too. (and I am trying to remember if he mentioned Court - but I know he seemed to have scrutinized the rides on WoW and CH in that incident.)
middleground

Sun May 05, 2019 1:25 pm

Post-race comments and quotes, mostly NOT about MaxS:

https://www.americasbestracing.net/the- ... ucky-derby
stark

Sun May 05, 2019 1:29 pm

No doubt WOW headed for a spot that didn't exist for long, if Borel would've ridden him he would've won the race with rail skimming ride.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Somnambulist

Sun May 05, 2019 1:31 pm

luvsgeldings wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 1:19 pm
maybe Casse knew his jock might not be so squeaky clean in this incident - just heard Nick Hines on the radio give some very good points of view on the rides of both Prat and Tyler G - perhaps both of them played a part in this whole thing after all - Hines pointed out some interesting stuff about their rides in that final turn too. so maybe MS wasn't the only one to blame for what went on there.
I think anyone who is trying to fault other horses here are looking pretty hard.

Look, trip handicapping is a primarily subjective experience. But there is very little doubt Maximum Security caused the majority of the problems. We were very close to seeing something bad happen yesterday. Yes - the DQs across the country are inconsistency. Yes, horses are mugged at the gate and throughout every year. Those are all valid points and many of us have been asking for a 14 horse field for years.

In an industry in which the powers that be rarely get anything right -- yesterday they got it right. They did something very difficult when taking the easy way out would have been justified, excusable, and easier. They took a stand and what little remaining integrity this game has remains intact. There is no reason to rail the stewards in this particular instance for getting it right -- even if we feel they mostly get it wrong.

There are rules. Rules sometimes suck. I wonder if everyone upset gives the same level of war cry for the rules that allow rich people to divert all their money to offshore accounts. You use the rules to your advantage. Prat would have been nothing short of a moron to not try to use the system to his favor.

Now -- let's work on fixing the system.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
ThreeMustangs

Sun May 05, 2019 1:37 pm

Has anybody seen Country House in person? He looks like a big boy in photos.
Izvestia

Sun May 05, 2019 3:23 pm

ThreeMustangs wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 1:37 pm
Has anybody seen Country House in person? He looks like a big boy in photos.
He’s big. Mott has said he’s a strong, robust horse. I think he wasn’t as bothered by being slammed into because he’s a brick wall.
Insane Crazy

Sun May 05, 2019 3:51 pm

Spahny wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 11:35 am
luvsgeldings wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 11:33 am
just heard something interesting on local SoCal TB radio show - someone wondering if maybe they could have left the winning horse up in the Derby and just penalize the jock for the ride.
That would have been far worse.
Also, Saez gave a fantastic ride in spite of the spook. He got his spooking horse under control in a matter of strides, so I don't think anyone could fault *him* under any case. I've had 15 year old OTTBs run off with me and...I would never want to be on a spooking, fit three year old, lmao.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
BaroqueAgain1

Sun May 05, 2019 6:23 pm

I was out of the house all evening after the race, so it's taken me a while to get through the pages of comments, but...
I'm a little surprised that no one has mentioned that we did have similar interference in the Oaks on Friday, with Jaywalk DQ'd to last. If the heel-clipping incident hadn't occurred right after the start, with the field moving away from Positive Spirit, Friday could have been racing's Dark Day.
I keep reading that Max shouldn't have been DQ'd because he was the best horse, or because the incident didn't affect the outcome of the race for the top three runners. Although I know some jurisdictions mandate that fouling the horse(s) closest to the winner is what determines a foul, that shouldn't matter.
Or, at least it shouldn't be the most important reason to declare a foul. SAFETY should be.
The stewards have the responsibility to enforce rules that make racing as fair and safe as possible. And with the scrutiny that racing is now under, safe needs to be on the top of everyone's list.

After watching the replays and looking at the photos, I still can't believe that WoW didn't go down....in front of a huge field of charging horses. :o Terrifying, indeed.
I read an article interviewing Casse, and he was full of praise for his athletic colt for managing to save himself.
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/trip ... n-athlete/
Spahny

Sun May 05, 2019 6:38 pm

stark wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 1:29 pm
No doubt WOW headed for a spot that didn't exist for long, if Borel would've ridden him he would've won the race with rail skimming ride.
After watching the race again I think WOW had a lot of run in him and might well have had a say in the outcome had Gaffalione waitied a little longer for the rail to open up. He could have gone through the wide open lane Code of Honor went through. But Maximum Security drifted back in after causing the trouble outside and he bumped Code of Honor on the rail and may have stopped his run a little. Not too sure about that though. The problem with War of Will is that the jock had his hands full holding him back for the entire back stretch and he just want to the get him out and let him run. I probably would have done the same.

After watching the replay I'd love to see Game Winner and War of Will head to Pimlico if they came out of the race good. Especially War of Will. He's definitely nice and tight now.
ElPrado2

Sun May 05, 2019 6:41 pm

The rules for and about race interference would have to be inconsistent. The rules are in different states. There is no central governing agency. Instead, you have Kentucky with one set of rules, Ohio with another, California with several, New York tossing theirs around, Florida chipping in, no consistency anywhere.
Just another argument in favor of a national Horse Racing agency. Which will never happen because not one state will give up one iota of control without a repeat of Gettysburg.
Apollo

Tue May 07, 2019 10:58 pm

I'm gone for the Preakness and Belmont but I have watched the Derby a few more times.

I can't get over how moronic Geroux was on Roadster. He has French Soup for brains. Either that or he has never studied angles or geometry for 5 seconds.

Geroux not only wiped out Game Winner at the break but he gave Roadster almost no chance. Where the heck was he aiming? Given that angle out of the gate Roadster was guaranteed to get stuck behind a wall of horses.

I suppose it is too much to ask of these guys to actually go out there and evaluate where their gate position will be, and make logical judgments accordingly. After all, it's only 4 days between the post position draw and the race. Not nearly enough time to walk out there with the trainer or some stablehand, with one standing at the gate location and another down near the first turn, let's say the 4 path for an outside post. You wouldn't want to pick out a line of sight in the background, like a light pole or something. Only golfers and caddies during a practice round are stupid enough to do that.

Far too much work. Overly annoying. We'll just wing it. After all, we use that auxiliary gate all the time. How difficult can it be?

Meanwhile 58-year-old Jon Court on Long Range Toddy was one spot outside Roadster and Geroux. Court must have been laughing like heck when Roadster took the masochistic route inside. Court said thank you very much and took the straight line that rightfully belonged to Roadster.

Long Range Toddy eventually gave way but he had the perfect outside stalking position thanks to the astute angle that Court chose.
stark

Sat May 11, 2019 8:44 am

Was it really only one week ago today?

The first Saturday in May, when we were all on the edge of our seats full of anticipation as to what the greatest two minutes in sports had in store for us?
Little did we know what the racing Gods had in mind.
Sure will be interesting to see what story lines carry forward to 2020 as a result of all this?

Do Mott and Servis have a two year old in their barn ready for another round?
Will Saez and Tyler get their first calls?
Will the Stewards be the same?
Will the gamblers still be telling their bad beat stories with torn up tickets in-hand?

Pletcher vs. Baffert sounds so mundane, stay tuned.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.