Horse Racing is now officially a joke

Blame

Sat May 04, 2019 7:22 pm

I hate the trainer of Maximum Security, believe he is a cheater, but the West family was robbed. Saez was robbed. The gambling public was robbed. And I bet Roadster.

Nearly 20 minutes to make the wrong decision. The KY Stewards must be fired, not even for the atrocious decision, but for taking 20 minutes. Embarrassing.
Northport

Sat May 04, 2019 7:29 pm

Can you consolidate your complaints plsssss
weeeeeeeee
Somnambulist

Sat May 04, 2019 7:48 pm

I love a good Simpsons reference.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Mylute

Sat May 04, 2019 7:49 pm

"Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

Mad cause Roadster lost, aincha?
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
Big Ten

Sat May 04, 2019 8:07 pm

I'm officially done with horse racing but for a different reason. It really is animal cruelty. Most of these horses are going to get sent to a slaughterhouse or simply die at the track. The PETA kooks were right all along.

I'm not going to watch the Kentucky Derby anymore. Don't care about the Preakness. I look at Bill Mott a completely different way today. Max didn't even affect his horse and he still cried foul! They didn't even place Max in the Top 4. How so unfair.

There was no way War of Will or Tacitus was beating Max. These stewards just robbed alot of people's money. No different than when Bolt d'Oro was placed 1st over McKinzie last year.

I'm already deleting all my 30 horse racing videos on my phones. Usually an objection never gets overturned. And they decided to do it today making it the 1st DQ in 145 years of it.

It's a joke and I'm done with the sport. No wonder I don't see alot of the old posters on here anymore. All sports can be crooked but horse racing has the animal cruelty element, crooked drugging, and the greed factor with the gambling.

My horse racing fandom actually started with Bill Mott (Cigar) and he's now ended it for me today.
Rock Hard Ten. Free House. Soul Of The Matter. Lit de Justice. Zenyatta. Justify. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. Silver Charm.
Mylute

Sat May 04, 2019 8:14 pm

Lol, RIP Big Ten.
Northport

Sat May 04, 2019 8:25 pm

boy, bye

Maximum Security's error could have resulted in War of Will and Long Range Toddy going down. Leaving them in a heap as another 15 horses galloped over them. What's worse for the sport, showing that an error that could have resulted in a catastrophic pile up on racing's biggest day is totally okay? Or personally offending a couple of grown men with laptops?
weeeeeeeee
Starine

Sat May 04, 2019 8:36 pm

Northport wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:25 pm
boy, bye
LOL to this, and the Simpsons reference. Like Som, I do enjoy a good one.
MySaladDays

Sat May 04, 2019 9:05 pm

I don't know how this race "should have" turned out, but I was on country house and code of honor for a while now, mostly because I pick my horses based on pouring over their pedigrees. A lot of people thought CoH was dripping class, though not a fast horse. And Country House was going to be my Belmont horse since beginning of the prep season, as I poured over his entire ancestry pretty carefully.
I honestly did not think Max could get the distance, but he did. So big kudos to the horse himself......that's the only "players" I reallly care about in horse racing anyway.
Horses don't get to pick their owners or trainers. I practically break out crying whenever I think what Big Brown went thru, I think a lot of people will never realize that he reallly didn't have any hoof left at all, and then belmont day he was kicking down the sides of his holding barn, it was hottest day on record there, they ran out of water, the toilets wouldn't flush and the horse had been denied his electrolyes and um.......well, you know. I'd like to throw some humans into a hot barn and let them detox beofre being asked to run the longest race of their lives. He got "stuck" with some really icky people for owners. So have other horses. Nice horses.

Yes, horse racing can be cruel. That is why I mostly play Hong Kong these days. It's honest racing. You get to see the veterinary reports of the horses you are putting your hard earned money down on. Everything is on the up and up. There are no raceday medications. (I can't handicap drugs).

I've known this for many years and it's why I pretty much only wager the BCC, KY derby and some recreational bets because I live where Oaklawn is.....so I go pretty much every day just to SEE the horses during the meet.

I do like the sport, I think it can be "done right" but people who love horse racing and are righteous and honest and who CARE, have to really get involved and right now all the sport does is "blame PETA" for probelms of their own making. Horse racing can be transparent, horse racing can be honest........but maybe not here???

and we don't need to be breeding all these "throwaways". Horses are not cheap cell phones that you dispose of.
Big Ten

Sat May 04, 2019 9:33 pm

Bill Mott objected for a different horse that affected that horse and not his. If he just STFU about it, alot of people today would be cashing in on a winning ticket.

I already deleted all my photo albums, videos, and books related to horse racing. They're not really deleted because they can still be found on my 2TB external hard drive. I just feel it's a crooked sport that involves dirty money and politics. It's a rich man's game where they own race cars with four legs. They're just property.

Most BS decision I ever ever seen. They let Bayern win the 2014 BC Classic but they can't even place the betting favorite in the Top 4. And the only one Max affected was War of Will which happened early in the first turn! Bill Mott's way to use the stewards to put his Country House on top.

This decision will forever be controversial. A black eye to the Sport of Kings.
Rock Hard Ten. Free House. Soul Of The Matter. Lit de Justice. Zenyatta. Justify. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. Silver Charm.
Mylute

Sat May 04, 2019 9:39 pm

Lots of drama kings and queens out today, mad on their laptops.

If they hadn't disqualified him, there would be uproar from the antis about "how the jockey/horse went unpunished for literally almost costing the lives of 20 horses".

Racing has no sole governing body, yet somehow there's a conglomerate of big evil rich fellas that decided to rob money from Maximum Security bettors. Uh huh.
carole

Sat May 04, 2019 9:41 pm

A lot of other people are cashing in on a winning ticket.

Long Range Toddy connections also posted an objection fyi.

Quitting the sport over losing a bet is just plain dumb and really shows you’re not a real fan of the sport. If over all these years, this is the most crooked thing that you’ve seen happen in horse racing then you must be clueless.
Horsebagger

Sat May 04, 2019 9:47 pm

Blame wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 7:22 pm
I hate the trainer of Maximum Security, believe he is a cheater, but the West family was robbed. Saez was robbed. The gambling public was robbed. And I bet Roadster.

Nearly 20 minutes to make the wrong decision. The KY Stewards must be fired, not even for the atrocious decision, but for taking 20 minutes. Embarrassing.
It was actually Horse Racing's finest hour. Feel free to let yourself out, anytime you wish.
Somnambulist

Sat May 04, 2019 10:03 pm

Horsebagger wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 9:47 pm
It was actually Horse Racing's finest hour. Feel free to let yourself out, anytime you wish.
He'll be back this time next year, no worries.

The right thing is often no easy to do. It's probably why the world is the way it is.
djnorth

Sat May 04, 2019 10:14 pm

Wow again! Interesting that people are "done" over MS dq but not when 23 die at SA, 7 of Baffert's od on thyroid meds, etc. Just wow...

Don't know MS connections but feel sorry for them. Still think Mott's classy. Think horse racing would have been more of a joke if the dq doesn't happen, a la Bayern. Looks to everyone (not just non-Baffertites) that Bob pulls SA stewards' strings. And yeah, I lost money today!

Also agree with those who think racing would be rolling up the rugs and shutting off lights if MS, WOW or anyone else had fallen or if MS would have been I injured by WOW's front feet. The level of carnage that was narrowly avoided is mind-blowing.
Apollo

Sat May 04, 2019 10:17 pm

I would have left horse racing if Justify would have been denied Horse of the Year. That was the singular litmus test for the sport I have ever seen. I mentioned it here.

I imagine plenty of the same people who would have gotten that brutally wrong are championing the decision that happened today.

This doesn't remove me from the sport but it completes removes any energy or interest. I certainly will not be paying attention to the Preakness or Belmont.

This is the way I look at it: If you're going to allow 19 or 20 horses into your race, and your track superintendent doesn't know what the heck he is doing and wrongly changes the track setup in the final hour despite every indication for 24 hours that the worse weather would be between 5 and 7 PM, then I have no idea how you can apply the same standards as normal to reviewing an objection call. It reminded me of a Hail Mary at the end of a football game. Those plays are not judged identically to a one-one-one pass interference situation in the middle of the game. Logic prevails and the referees understand this is plenty of organized chaos instead of normalcy, and rule accordingly. The standard line among football announcers is, "Let them play."

It cost me plenty of money. I got buried on Roadster matchups. Fortunately Improbable and Game Winner rallied to pull out almost all of their matchups. I would have come out slightly ahead given the win wager and two matchup bets on Maximum Security. I am trying to evaluate the situation separate from the monetary aspect. But obviously that is difficult, especially when Maximum Security was moved so far back it changed the outcome of the matchups. I thought I was still going to collect those, even after the disqualification.

The fact that it wasn't the place horse objecting reminded me of so many desperate attempts I have seen in the NCAA track and field championships. It never works. The last race is always the 4 x 400 relay. Very frequently the point differential is such that one team needs another team to be disqualified and pick up zero points in the relay. Consequently you often see the most preposterous objections not from the team that finishes second or third in the relay, but from the team sitting in second place in the point standings, and would be elevated to winner of the NCAA championship via disqualification. It is a laughable situation that puts a damper on the entire event and the sport itself. That's the way this felt today.

The first Derby I remember from childhood was 1968. I rooted for Forward Pass because of his cool name that reminded me of football. But I have always considered Dancer's Imagine the true winner of that race. The same will apply here. Also naturally it stings somewhat because I attended the Florida Derby and watched these connections celebrate in the winner's circle. I looked forward to the same thing again. Instead I erased the tape and didn't watch the victory circle ceremony for the first time in my life.

Decisions have consequences. I'm gone for 2019. Like religion or lack thereof, I'm not asking anyone to feel the same way I do.
Last edited by Apollo on Sat May 04, 2019 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Somnambulist

Sat May 04, 2019 10:18 pm

djnorth wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 10:14 pm
Wow again! Interesting that people are "done" over MS dq but not when 23 die at SA, 7 of Baffert's od on thyroid meds, etc. Just wow...
It's amazing that moral high ground people find themselves on once they've lost money, isn't it.
Somnambulist

Sat May 04, 2019 10:19 pm

Apollo wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 10:17 pm
I imagine plenty of the same people who would have gotten that brutally wrong are championing the decision that happened today.

Folks - a living example of Kohlberg's stages of moral development.
luvsgeldings

Sat May 04, 2019 10:20 pm

well horse racing, and most notably, the Kentucky Derby WILL be a joke officially if from now on, they don't start DQ'ing horses who cause all that bumping and trouble at the start of races, or in the first turn (where a lot of that stuff happens in the Derby), or towards the end of the races. they better seriously apply those same rules to every horse in every derby, every TC race, BC race, stake race, claiming race and at every point of those races from now on.

because a bothered horse, is a bothered horse. and any horse who gets bothered could go down, and no one wants that to happen. ever.

if you can take down a winner of the Kentucky Derby... then you should have no problem DQ'ing any horse in any race at any point of the race.

lets just see if that happens from now on.

trainers and jocks and owners can use the precedent set today when they took down a Derby winner.

I am not saying it was right or wrong to take down Maximum Security. I am just saying race participants have a greater argument now going forward.

and racing will most certainly be a joke if they don't stick to the law that was laid down today in the Kentucky Derby.
Somnambulist

Sat May 04, 2019 10:25 pm

Ehhhh IDK. It won't be a joke. High drama = high intrigue = all good.

The public's, and my, memory is bad. Does anyone even remember Jordyn Woods is a person (I do.. I want the eye-shadow palette to go on sale)?. Does anyone remember my father being the only person alive to wear Champion -- and now a shitty sweatshirt is $60? Thoughts thought with a heaping dose of emotion are not ones that often stand up over the course of time.

Man, we weep at MOKH which I am 90% sure was amended to avoid it's deeply racist history but moving a horse down who almost caused a pile up is bad.