Appeal denied

ElPrado2

Tue May 07, 2019 12:27 am

There will be no appeal of the result of the Ky Derby.

Since my ability of posting links seems to have gone on strike again....
This came from Bloodhorse daily, the one that just appeared in my email inbox a few minutes ago.
If someone would help by posting a direct link, fine with me. It is the lead story.
Catalina

Tue May 07, 2019 12:52 am

ElPrado2 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 12:27 am
There will be no appeal of the result of the Ky Derby.

Since my ability of posting links seems to have gone on strike again....
This came from Bloodhorse daily, the one that just appeared in my email inbox a few minutes ago.
If someone would help by posting a direct link, fine with me. It is the lead story.
I assume this is it:

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... lification
BaroqueAgain1

Tue May 07, 2019 2:33 am

I thought I heard/read somewhere that West is now going to sue.
sigh.
djnorth

Tue May 07, 2019 8:52 am

I think Peter Fuller kept the 1968 Derby in the courts for over 10 years. Didn't change the outcome though this dq was for a different reason.
Somnambulist

Tue May 07, 2019 8:58 am

Makes it kind of easy to root against his horses going forward. What a strange few days.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Horsebagger

Tue May 07, 2019 9:16 am

Can't wait to read the complaint/filing when he takes this to State or Federal court.
Starine

Tue May 07, 2019 11:30 pm

West Plans Lawsuit: War Of Will ‘Actually Caused The Infraction, Not Our Horse’
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/trip ... our-horse/
“We're saying that because that rider (Tyler Gaffalione aboard War of Will) didn't claim a foul, and we see the same thing that you see, that the other incidents are a moot issue for us, because it wasn't us,” racing manager Ben Glass said. “That horse, War of Will, is on the rail and the next thing you know, he's off the rail behind us. We're looking at that very hard.”
Sparrow Castle

Wed May 08, 2019 6:04 pm

Ray Paulick @raypaulick
22m22 minutes ago
War of Will's trainer @markecasse sent 16 still photos of NBC video from approaching the far turn to the top of the stretch he used to analyze the route taken aboard Maximum Security by Luis Saez.

Casse: If Anything, Maximum Security Bothered War Of Will Not Once, But Twice
Controversy continues to swirl around the disqualification of Maximum Security from the winning spot of the 2019 Kentucky Derby. On Tuesday, Maximum Security owner Gary West announced he would bring a lawsuit contending War Of Will was the root cause of the interference in the latter part of the Kentucky Derby.

War Of Will trainer Mark Casse spoke to the Lexington Herald-Leader Tuesday evening, opining that if anything, Maximum Security interfered with his horse not once but twice. Casse walked through NBC footage of the race second by second through the final turn and points out an earlier, less impactful drift from Maximum Security before the larger event, which caused several horses to take back and ultimately caused a chain reaction that reached Country House.

“Mr. West is distraught and I understand that. But in no way did War of Will have anything to do with the actions of Maximum Security,” Casse told the Herald-Leader. “Not only did Maximum Security bother us in the big event, he herded everybody going into the half-mile pole and caused interference there as well.”
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/trip ... but-twice/
Apollo

Wed May 08, 2019 6:37 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:04 pm
Ray Paulick @raypaulick
22m22 minutes ago
War of Will's trainer @markecasse sent 16 still photos of NBC video from approaching the far turn to the top of the stretch he used to analyze the route taken aboard Maximum Security by Luis Saez.

Casse: If Anything, Maximum Security Bothered War Of Will Not Once, But Twice
Controversy continues to swirl around the disqualification of Maximum Security from the winning spot of the 2019 Kentucky Derby. On Tuesday, Maximum Security owner Gary West announced he would bring a lawsuit contending War Of Will was the root cause of the interference in the latter part of the Kentucky Derby.

War Of Will trainer Mark Casse spoke to the Lexington Herald-Leader Tuesday evening, opining that if anything, Maximum Security interfered with his horse not once but twice. Casse walked through NBC footage of the race second by second through the final turn and points out an earlier, less impactful drift from Maximum Security before the larger event, which caused several horses to take back and ultimately caused a chain reaction that reached Country House.

“Mr. West is distraught and I understand that. But in no way did War of Will have anything to do with the actions of Maximum Security,” Casse told the Herald-Leader. “Not only did Maximum Security bother us in the big event, he herded everybody going into the half-mile pole and caused interference there as well.”
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/trip ... but-twice/
Hilarious. What a knucklehead. How can he believe that helps his cause?

All that chart demonstrates is that horses shift paths all the time during a race, and back and forth.

Regardless, the appeal should have been quickly denied. Until there is a higher body or racing czar then the track guidelines and decision have to hold up, whether I agree or not.

Although it is kind of amusing that it seems outrageous to change a verdict yet the Secretariat crew had no problem whining for decades about the official time of the Preakness, to the point they forced an alteration that is now almost certainly wrong on the low end.
ElPrado2

Thu May 09, 2019 10:33 am

I imagine West may be a little peeved. Coolmore is probably not camped out in his front yard making $40,000,000 offers or more for the privilege of standing MS at stud.
All that cash evaporated with the stewards decision.
hadrianmarcus

Thu May 09, 2019 11:18 am

ElPrado2 wrote:
I imagine West may be a little peeved. Coolmore is probably not camped out in his front yard making $40,000,000 offers or more for the privilege of standing MS at stud.
There was no planet in the solar system where Coolmore was going to offer $40,000,000+ for the stud rights to a son of New Years Day out of an Anasheed mare whether he won the Derby or not. His lack of pedigree was one of the reasons West/Servis risked dropping him in a claimer back in December 2018. West will; however, get some nice money for Game Winner, Candy Ride's precocious juvenile champion....but even then, the market is full of promising sons of Candy Ride with Mastery, Twirling Candy and the magnificently bred Gun Runner.
Horsebagger

Thu May 09, 2019 12:20 pm

hadrianmarcus wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:18 am
ElPrado2 wrote:
There was no planet in the solar system where Coolmore was going to offer $40,000,000+ for the stud rights to a son of New Years Day out of an Anasheed mare whether he won the Derby or not. His lack of pedigree was one of the reasons West/Servis risked dropping him in a claimer back in December 2018. West will; however, get some nice money for Game Winner, Candy Ride's precocious juvenile champion....but even then, the market is full of promising sons of Candy Ride with Mastery, Twirling Candy and the magnificently bred Gun Runner.
^^^Every word accurate.