Lead Ponies

serenassong

Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Was watching the racing over at Beulah yesterday, and saw a horse(lead pony) that was some type of draft mix- very pretty, and was quite funny to see the comparison between that horse and the racer.

Thought it would be a good idea to name off some of ones that have caught your eye, at whatever track you have seen

Of course, Lava Man and Funny Cide did this, but I was thinking of the unsung heros as well for a mention.

I seem to remember a few years ago, in watching the Derby broadcasts in the past, that there was a pony that the outrider used to ride without a bridle and had roses in his or her mane. Does anyone else remember that?
Last edited by serenassong on Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
ElPrado2

Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:21 pm

I think a girl rode it.
Insane Crazy

Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:33 pm

I've done the paddock at the Derby three years now. The, what seems to be, "head" lead pony is a doll. Big blaze, maybe a gaited breed? His rider hops off and just walks away -- the horse stands there and peers around with his reins just hanging. What a cutie.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:34 pm

I remember seeing the unbridled pony...had a light leather line around the base of the neck to guide it. That's a well-trained horse.
I think my favorite "unsung" pony horse is at Turfway Park...and it's a MULE. A big, white mule who is out on the track for most races...very handsome, for a mule. :D
Los Alamitos has some good-looking pony horses, with about the greatest range of colors I've ever seen...black, pure white (very proud, arched-neck steed), paints, dappled grey, red and blue roans. And thanks to how close the cameras are at the Los Al gate, you get a very good look at the horses and their ponies, who, IMO, have to be the most patient, solid companions, considering that many of the QHs they guide are just a hair short of blowing sky-high.
Delamont

Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:49 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I remember seeing the unbridled pony...had a light leather line around the base of the neck to guide it. That's a well-trained horse.
I think my favorite "unsung" pony horse is at Turfway Park...and it's a MULE. A big, white mule who is out on the track for most races...very handsome, for a mule. :D
Los Alamitos has some good-looking pony horses, with about the greatest range of colors I've ever seen...black, pure white (very proud, arched-neck steed), paints, dappled grey, red and blue roans. And thanks to how close the cameras are at the Los Al gate, you get a very good look at the horses and their ponies, who, IMO, have to be the most patient, solid companions, considering that many of the QHs they guide are just a hair short of blowing sky-high.
So I'm NOT seeing things....it was a mule!

I love the lead ponies.
Miss Woodford

Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:20 pm

There's a gorgeous tank of an Appaloosa that's been working at Charles Town for years.
sweettalk

Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:27 pm

what's with their tails? sometimes i see their tails, the ends, tied up to the saddle? or something like that? not even the whole tail just part of it. what is that?
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:03 pm

I'm going to make a guess that the pony could be a relentless tail swisher...and if you're trying to get a high-strung TB to the gate in one piece, you probably don't want your mount constantly whipping it across the legs and butt with its tail. :lol:
Katewerk

Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:06 pm

I was at Retama Park in Texas a couple of years ago for QH Races, where a pony horse was used bump reluctant 2 year olds into the gate with his hip. Is that common in QH?
BlindLucky

Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:16 pm

Insane Crazy wrote:I've done the paddock at the Derby three years now. The, what seems to be, "head" lead pony is a doll. Big blaze, maybe a gaited breed? His rider hops off and just walks away -- the horse stands there and peers around with his reins just hanging. What a cutie.
I love that one, too! Definitely gaited, and I think his name is Pete. It's Greg Blasi on him--Helen Pitts' husband, and Scott Blasi's brother :)
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
BlindLucky

Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:20 pm

I think Starbuck, the one Lukas rides, is really handsome. He let Donna Brothers ride him for the Preakness coverage this year.

terpsichorist

Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:49 pm

A photo of Cigar standing on the track at Nad al Sheba dominated the front page of a local newspaper in Dubai several days before the inaugural running of the $4 million Dubai World Cup in 1996. At least the caption said it was Cigar. The only problem was that the horse pictured was pure white and bore no resemblance to America’s super horse.

Trainer Bill Mott could only laugh seeing his pony Snowball featured so prominently, while stealing the spotlight from the mighty Cigar. When Mott brought Cigar out to train one evening, he overheard one man say to another as they passed by Snowball in the paddock, “Oh, there’s Cigar.” But the most humorous moment came when several Arabs, dressed in their traditional dishdashas, approached Mott wanting to buy Snowball as an endurance horse to compete in desert races of 50 miles or longer.

“I don’t think you want to buy Snowball as an endurance horse,” Mott told them. “He struggles just to get a mile around the racetrack at a good clip.”
Snowball had transcended his role as mere companion to become a star in his own right. But to trainers all over the country, a good pony is a star, perhaps the most unsung hero on the racetrack. They go about their job in relative obscurity, teaching young Thoroughbreds while pacifying many of the high-strung stars of the sport.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse-ra ... z2ntBZN2jO
terpsichorist

Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:51 pm

I posted "pony tales" , I', sure most have read this , a wonderful piece of some of the ponies who accompanied
past champions .
serenassong

Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:21 am

Of course, there is always the Biscuit and Pumpkin
http://www.corbisimages.com/stock-photo ... ng-pumpkin
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
terpsichorist

Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:42 pm

Love that photo!
Delamont

Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:27 pm

Did I just see a draft horse ponying at Turfway Park in the first? :shock:
Starine

Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:06 pm

Not a lead pony, but here are some photos by Marcie Heacox of Kathy Ritvo's handsome paint Oreo:

http://www.thegallopout.com/apps/photos ... =190091789
http://www.thegallopout.com/apps/photos ... =190091790

I would love to see a full-body shot of this one.
Equipoise

Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:08 pm

Apparently the Turfway mule's name is Rocket.

http://www.montgomerymules.com/Mules/Rocket/index.htm
BlindLucky

Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:21 pm

BlindLucky wrote:I think Starbuck, the one Lukas rides, is really handsome. He let Donna Brothers ride him for the Preakness coverage this year.

Saw a tweet that the Lukas stable's big, beautiful Will Take Charge-twin of a pony died. I don't know what happened, possibly colic or something of that nature. So sad, he was one of the more striking animals at any track.
serenassong

Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:35 pm

That is very sad, I love the ponies.

R. I. P.