Princess Haya, wife of Sheikh Mohammed, Flees Dubai

Northport

Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:47 am

Princess Haya of Jordan, a prominent racehorse owner in her own right, with Raven’s Pass and New Approach running in her silks, has taken her two children and around $50m and fled the UAE for Germany. She has applied for asylum and filed for divorce from Sheikh Mohammed.

It’s not the first time a woman has tried to escape from the ruling family of Dubai, as at least one of Sheikh Mohammed’s daughters has attempted to flee, only to be caught and returned to the UAE, where they are never heard from again.

I know the Sun isn’t the most upstanding publication, but it’s the best article I’ve found so far.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9400461/w ... led-dubai/
weeeeeeeee
stark

Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:06 am

I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
TapitsGal

Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:49 am

I have heard that women in the UAE and other Middle Eastern countries are NOT treated well at all...if this is true, I hope Princess Haya is granted asylum and can raise her children in a safe environment..and the courage it must have taken her to flee. it took me four years to get up the courage to flee my abusive parents home and I finally did last September...and they were NOT royals..I cannot even imagine what must be going through her head...I do not know if Sheikh Mo is abusive but I do know abusers will do anything to gain whatever control over their victims that they can. My parents tried going to the police and first having me returned home then when that didn't work tried having me arrested three times for taking my OWN dog with me when I fled..the police told them under NO circumstances were they taking my dog away from me and to go pound sand basically(the cops actual words to me when she told me about this). I cannot even imagine what she must have endured to feel the need to secretly flee and huge thanks to the German official who secretly helped her. no doubt were he caught or discovered he'd be executed or at the very least imprisoned and tortured for a LONG time
Somnambulist

Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:28 pm

I hope she's safe and remains that way.

We have such great characters to root for in racing don't we
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Mylute

Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:50 pm

I don't remember the specific name but a year or two ago I read about a princess or similar title from Dubai that fled, was captured by Saudis and returned, and who now lives as an extremely abused prisoner.

People like to pretend women in the US have it bad, making up problems we supposedly face...they should go to the Middle East.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
Somnambulist

Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:07 pm

Mylute wrote:
People like to pretend women in the US have it bad, making up problems we supposedly face...they should go to the Middle East.
They aren't mutually exclusive.
Northport

Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:35 pm

Mylute wrote:

Whoa whoa whoa. Perspective is indeed important, but equality and respect for all women, everywhere, is also imperative. It isn’t a contest.
weeeeeeeee
Curtis

Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:11 pm

Mylute wrote:
I don't remember the specific name but a year or two ago I read about a princess or similar title from Dubai that fled, was captured by Saudis and returned, and who now lives as an extremely abused prisoner.

You may be confusing making up problems with striving for equality.
Katewerk

Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:55 pm

Mylute wrote:

Agreed. It takes a Herculean effort in denial to pretend that women in western liberal democracies face even a fraction of the degree of oppression of those in Arab states in which their status as property is often encoded in law.
Somnambulist

Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:19 pm

How's Alabama guys?!
MySaladDays

Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:07 am

The princess is from Jordan I believe? I'm sure she was not at all unaware of the status of women in the middle eastern countries when she married, nor that she was Wife #4 or whatever her number is. i.e. not sequential but simultaneous wife iwith the others. I imagine there is quite a dynamic involved when you are living with other wives as well as your husband.

I don't try to understand customs / religions etc. that are so far afield from my own experiences, let alone the dynamics of any married couple........and therefore, I have no explanation or judgement here, either way.

I do wish her and her children the very best. There are plenty of religious sects in the U.S. in which women don't have much freedom either and/or are bound by some very old fasioned customs....however, not all of them are actually unhappy.

Again, I can't compare my experience as an educated single modern American woman who has been unemcumbered by those kinds of things.
ThreeMustangs

Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:21 pm

King Abdullah of Jordan is her brother.
MySaladDays

Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:47 pm

ThreeMustangs wrote:

Just was saying that it wasn't like she was an american marrying into a middle eastern family with totally different customs.

She herself is the offspring of King Hussein of Jordan ........with his "3rd wife".

The daughter of a ruler, marrying a ruler. I suspect that is pretty much how it is done and perhaps these things are somewhat arranged.

And actually I think King Abdullah is only her 1/2 brother. Not that that makes any difference.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:01 am

MySaladDays wrote:
ThreeMustangs wrote:

Just was saying that it wasn't like she was an american marrying into a middle eastern family with totally different customs.

She herself is the offspring of King Hussein of Jordan ........with his "3rd wife".

The daughter of a ruler, marrying a ruler. I suspect that is pretty much how it is done and perhaps these things are somewhat arranged.
I don't believe King Hussein had multiple wives simultaneously the way UAE sheiks like Sheik Mo do. And his last wife, Noor, was an American.
MR-W

Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:11 pm

If Princess Haya chose the life she had with Sheikh Mo then I'm not feeling too sorry for her. Most abused women leave marriages with battle scars and next to nothing in a financial way. At least Haya can now begin a new life with $50m in her pocket.
I say this because of the disgust I have for the way women and outsider children are treated in Dubai. Just google children camel jockeys in Dubai and see what comes up. The rulers were exposed big time by Real Sports and insiders years ago thru the use of hidden cameras at the race tracks. Deplorable conditions for the captive children all for the sake of obscene amounts of money so the sheikhs could be amused. When the "Child jockeys" surpassed 40 lbs., they were just discarded to the streets. Yep, I feel sorry most for those that don't have a say or choice in what they're born into. Sometimes obscene amounts of wealth isn't cracked up to what it appears on the outside. I just hope that her children don't get screwed up in all of this.
Catalina

Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:57 pm

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:
MySaladDays wrote:
ThreeMustangs wrote:

I don't believe King Hussein had multiple wives simultaneously the way UAE sheiks like Sheik Mo do. And his last wife, Noor, was an American.
And so the restrictions that Princess Haya grew up with may well have been far less restrictive than what she encountered in Dubai.
MySaladDays

Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:20 pm

MR-W wrote:
Just google children camel jockeys in Dubai and see what comes up.
That was quite some time ago, although I'm sure there are still "resistant pockets" in many places over there. Mostly robotic jockeys are used now.

While you're googling, you might google "child trafficking in the U.S." Also "human trafficking in the U.S. It's pretty bad and fighting it is one of the "causes" that I donate to every year when I do my charitable giving budget.. On this special day of freedom, there are many who are not free. I thought about them today.
Last edited by MySaladDays on Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MySaladDays

Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:22 pm

It leaves me wondering why her father allowed the marriage to take place. Usually you do not get to marry someone if your family is against it in those cultures.
mariasmon

Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:45 pm

MySaladDays wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:22 pm
It leaves me wondering why her father allowed the marriage to take place. Usually you do not get to marry someone if your family is against it in those cultures.
It might have something to do with the fact that she married him 5 years after her father died.
MR-W

Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:00 pm

MySaladDays wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:20 pm
MR-W wrote:
Just google children camel jockeys in Dubai and see what comes up.
That was quite some time ago, although I'm sure there are still "resistant pockets" in many places over there. Mostly robotic jockeys are used now.

While you're googling, you might google "child trafficking in the U.S." Also "human trafficking in the U.S. It's pretty bad and fighting it is one of the "causes" that I donate to every year when I do my charitable giving budget.. On this special day of freedom, there are many who are not free. I thought about them today.
The only reason that it was some time ago is because they were exposed in a major way. It had zero to do with a change of heart. Since it was Dubai that we were talking about I did not feel the need to talk about what goes on here. I feel your passion with what goes on in our country as well. There is always room for improvement.