Princess Haya, wife of Sheikh Mohammed, Flees Dubai

MySaladDays

Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:29 pm

mariasmon wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:45 pm
It might have something to do with the fact that she married him 5 years after her father died.
:lol: That would make sense. Thanks for telling me .
mariasmon

Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:54 pm

MySaladDays wrote:
mariasmon wrote:
It might have something to do with the fact that she married him 5 years after her father died.
Not sure what her relationship is with the King, her half brother. You'd think he'd let her come there, but he must frown on what she's doing or won't create problems between Jordan and the UAE.
starrydreamer

Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:21 pm

mariasmon wrote:
MySaladDays wrote:
mariasmon wrote:
Not sure what her relationship is with the King, her half brother. You'd think he'd let her come there, but he must frown on what she's doing or won't create problems between Jordan and the UAE.
I'm guessing she felt it was safer to flee to Europe than another Arab country, half-brother as king notwithstanding. Germany for sure won't send her back.
ThreeMustangs

Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:02 pm

mariasmon wrote:
MySaladDays wrote:
mariasmon wrote:
The UAE being one of the largest donors of foreign aid to Jordan puts King Abdullah in a difficult position.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:27 pm

I think she knew that trying to find sanctuary in Jordan would put her half brother in an impossible position. Also, she needs to take asylum in a country that doesn't have the sort of patriarchal laws that would allow an automatic return of children to the father.
IMHO, when the daughter who tried to escape her pampered - but restricted - life by fleeing on a friend's yacht was chased down by the Emir's gunboats, that may have prompted Haya to make plans to escape with her own daughter and son. It could have been a frightening wake-up call to realize Sheikh Mo would go so far as to have his commandos threaten an American-flagged ship with weapons, hold the crew at gunpoint and drag his daughter off the boat by force. Just because he HAS to have complete control over his children? And, I suspect, his wives?
I hope she and her children have a long, safe, free life.
Northport

Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:00 am

MySaladDays wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:07 am
The princess is from Jordan I believe? I'm sure she was not at all unaware of the status of women in the middle eastern countries when she married, nor that she was Wife #4 or whatever her number is. i.e. not sequential but simultaneous wife iwith the others. I imagine there is quite a dynamic involved when you are living with other wives as well as your husband.
I'd say that there is a less that 1% chance that the daughter of a Middle Eastern Ruler would have chosen to be the 4th wife of another Middle Eastern Ruler who is 25 years older than her. I am sure she was plenty aware of the customs, and I am sure she knew that there was absolutely nothing she could do about it.

Sheikh Mohammed is the the definition of problematic. He is singlehandedly the most important owner the world and has contributed more to the sport and the people who make their livelihoods off of it than anyone else, ever, full stop. He has thousands of horses between Australia, Japan, the UAE, England, Ireland, France, and America. I cheer for his horses when they're trained by good guys/geniuses like Charlie Appleby, Kiaran McLaughlin, and Andre Fabre... but he is just so hard to root for.

If only he cared about the women in his life as much as he cared about the horses. :roll:
weeeeeeeee
MySaladDays

Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:05 pm

Northport wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:00 am
he is just so hard to root for.

If only he cared about the women in his life as much as he cared about the horses. :roll:
I have no idea how the many thousands of thoroughbred race horse trainers treat their wives. Since most are not tabloid-worthy subject matter.

So rooting or not rooting for them I really have nothing to go on in that respect.