Happy Endings

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:59 pm

Starine wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:46 pm
Happy Endings wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:49 pm
Mylute wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:28 pm

I can't recall seeing the name Sheikh Albadou in a pedigree before.
I read that he died of a heart attack during his first season at stud, so, only one foal crop. That would account for his name not turning up a lot.
Not quite. He entered stud in 1993 in Kentucky, and did suffer a heart attack in his first season at stud... since moving to England. A while he did pass at the relatively young age of 11, he just wasn't a very prolific sire even before then.
Oh, yeah, I didn't read that carefully enough. It did say it was during his first season after relocating to England. I was half right! lol!
Slewfan2

Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:58 pm

Honor A.P., a gorgeous, giant son of Honor Code and Hollywood Story, finished second in his sprint debut. He runs just like his sire and closed an amazing amount of ground. I think he’s very talented, but I hope he doesn’t need to be that far back going forward
stark

Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:10 pm

How do you bet the 2YO filly opener at Del Mar today?
The Don Alberto owned $1,400,000 Tapit purchase was sent to the Hollendorfer barn and is listed at 8/5, with MSmith up.
The Don Alberto owned Tapit homebred was sent to Baffert and is listed at 9/5 with DVDyke up.

Matera from the Hollendorfer barn enters with a recent 59.4 bullet drill from the gate, best of 79, but draws the rail today.
Stellar Sound from the Baffert barn enters with 4 solid works over the track, but no customary BB bullets, and he draws outside today.

Fun race to watch the prospects, but it's the kind of thing that'll drive gamblers crazy no matter the outcome. Maybe one of the other five in the race will pop up and beat the big money!
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:44 pm

from DRF....

DEL MAR, Calif. – Amalfi Sunrise, the unbeaten winner of the Grade 2 Sorrento Stakes at Del Mar earlier this month, has been taken out of training and will undergo diagnostic tests in coming days, trainer Simon Callaghan said Sunday.

It was not immediately clear how long Amalfi Sunrise would be sidelined, but the setback will prevent a start in the Grade 1 Del Mar Debutante on Aug. 31.

“She’s going to need some time off,” Callaghan said. “It looks like it might be a tibia. She’s sore behind. We’ll do some diagnostic work this week.”

Owned by Doug Branham and Marsha Naify, Amalfi Sunrise won her debut in a maiden special weight race at 4 1/2 furlongs by 6 1/4 lengths on June 23 at Santa Anita and her stakes debut in the Sorrento Stakes at six furlongs by six lengths on Aug. 3 at Del Mar.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
vfan

Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:46 pm

Sort of an odd "first" - Liraz (filly out of Jemima's Pearl) may become American Pharoah's first offspring to be claimed.

She's up for a $25,000 tag next Thursday at Gulfstream : http://www.equibase.com/static/entry/GP ... html#RACE6 . Liraz went for only $33,000 in Keeneland's January All-ages sale.

I haven't done the research but I think that is the second-lowest auction sale - as opposed to RNA bid - for an AP offspring so far? Lowest IIRC was $25,000 for a filly o/o Accusation at OBS June 2019. The latter was purchased by Jeremiah O'Dwyer who currently is running his string at Laurel. I've not seen any workouts for her.

Trivia - both of those surprisingly-low-for-AP 2 year olds were bred by Hunter Valley Farm and previously RNA'd for several times more than their eventual sales: Liraz was a $250,000 RNA weanling in Nov 2017 and the Accusation filly a $200,000 RNA yearling in Keeneland September 2018. That's horse racing for ya.
CorridorZ75

Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:19 am

vfan wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:46 pm
Sort of an odd "first" - Liraz (filly out of Jemima's Pearl) may become American Pharoah's first offspring to be claimed.

She's up for a $25,000 tag next Thursday at Gulfstream : http://www.equibase.com/static/entry/GP ... html#RACE6 . Liraz went for only $33,000 in Keeneland's January All-ages sale.

I haven't done the research but I think that is the second-lowest auction sale - as opposed to RNA bid - for an AP offspring so far? Lowest IIRC was $25,000 for a filly o/o Accusation at OBS June 2019. The latter was purchased by Jeremiah O'Dwyer who currently is running his string at Laurel. I've not seen any workouts for her.

Trivia - both of those surprisingly-low-for-AP 2 year olds were bred by Hunter Valley Farm and previously RNA'd for several times more than their eventual sales: Liraz was a $250,000 RNA weanling in Nov 2017 and the Accusation filly a $200,000 RNA yearling in Keeneland September 2018. That's horse racing for ya.
Who knows if and how many of those bids were "live" though.
vfan

Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:19 pm

True. The $200k+ bids may not have been totally "live", but they still were under the reserve.

EDIT 22-Aug UPDATE - Liraz was scratched from the Maiden Claiming race when I checked at noon-ish today.
Update #2 - It was a veterinarian scratch, per the race notes
Squeaky

Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:05 pm

Eight Rings heads Del Mar Futurity on Labor Day for BB. Seems like a few good 2 yo are out with injuries such as Amalfi Sunrise and Immediate Impact. Hope they come back soon.
vfan

Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:47 am

Today is the G3 With Anticipation Stakes for 2YOs ... http://www.equibase.com/static/entry/SA ... html#RACE9

Saratoga race 9 at 17:06 local (Eastern) time
Mylute

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:34 pm

vfan wrote:
Today is the G3 With Anticipation Stakes for 2YOs ... http://www.equibase.com/static/entry/SA ... html#RACE9

Jack the Ripper scratched...dang it!
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
katmandu

Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:11 pm

vfan wrote:

Glad that one is over, thank goodness no one was seriously injured or worse.
Mylute

Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:49 pm

What the heck was that?
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:10 pm

THAT was a bunch of green 2yos, some of whom clearly have no idea what they're supposed to do out there....but will run like cats chased by the vacuum while they're doing it. :P :lol:
Last edited by BaroqueAgain1 on Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
katmandu

Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:16 pm

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=20 ... &FORM=VIRE

I actually thought Our Country ran on pretty well down the stretch after his shying out of the gate and then very out of control/rank racing.
vfan

Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:19 pm

Mylute wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:34 pm
vfan wrote:

Jack the Ripper scratched...dang it!
Eagerly (American Pharoah x Excited) scratched, too. Sounds like both of us had our favorites scratched. The race notes say both were trainer scratches, so at least we're not dealing with the vet saying "Nope!"
Summer Bird

Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:49 pm

Express Train just annihilated the competition in race 6 at Del Mar. Flatters Eight Rings for sure. He was always so handsome as a foal

vfan

Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:06 pm

katmandu wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:16 pm
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=20 ... &FORM=VIRE

I actually thought Our Country ran on pretty well down the stretch after his shying out of the gate and then very out of control/rank racing.
Sure, once he careened through the herd bouncing off others like a billard ball and gave up fighting the jockey, Country House seemed to have an "ah! So THAT'S what I'm supposed to do!" type moment. But by then he'd squandered any closing kick energy he might have had. Very impressive that there wasn't a spill of some type and no one had to be pulled up.

It was like they were all still maidens, only the one real maiden entered had been scratched (Eagerly), and all of the others but one had already had two races. Fighting Seabee had the right idea: just get and stay ahead of those yahoos rather than get caught up in their mess.

The Footnotes tell a story that is basically - "You GOTTA see this video!!!" -
FIGHTING SEABEE attained a prominent position shortly after the start, was in the two path vying for command, matched up the ground-saving FLY FLY AWAY, cleared that opponent and cut over to the hedge as the half was being completed, saw FIELD PASS assume the role of primary pursuer, led the way all throughout the run around the far turn, with the aforementioned foe latched on, was in the vicinity of the three-sixteenths pole when finally turned loose, dug in with good determination to preserve the decision.
FIELD PASS managed to slip into the two path by the crown of the clubhouse bend, moved up to press the pacesetter right after the half had been rattled off, kept the pressure on, got called upon spinning into the lane, came home willingly but was staved off.
ANDESITE strung out three wide on both turns, was let out a notch at the five-sixteenths marker, ventuered onward for another sixteenth when asked for more, failed to cut into the deficit.
OUR COUNTRY had the pilot take hold after stumbling badly at the start, moved onto the inside route, became very rank fightly fiercely on the bit, appeared uncontrollable rushing up to the others approaching the end of the homestretch, burrowed his way past TUGGLE along a slim opening, but not before negatively impacting the other, tipped off the inside and into path two at the top of the backstretch, tracked the front runners going about professionally thereafter, was between foes on turn two, fanned out four wide for the drive home, lacked the needed response.
FLY FLY AWAY vied for the lead from the inside for a half, faltered after going six furlongs.
TUGGLE forwardly placed after the field had been sent off and running, had the pilot take back crossing the wire for the first time, found itself forced into the two path leaving the homestretch, induced into doing so by a very rank OUR COUNTRY, became unsettled after becoming wedged between rivals, was steadied,required a minumun of a sixteenth before getting going properly once more, inched his way to the outside proceeding along the backstretch, departed it from path three, swung into action by angling approximtely one path farther off the inside into the lane, came up empty.
katmandu

Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:33 pm

You should read what I wrote more closely, including the first (my) post made on this topic - at least if you're going to comment on it. And no, I was not talking about the backstretch (where he relaxed somewhat, but not entirely in places), I was talking about the homestretch where Our Country ran on.
Starine

Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:17 pm

Really? Nothing on Express Train? Today he stretched out to two turns and ran off the screen to win by 14 lengths.

Pricey Union Rags Colt Powers Home Like a Locomotive at Del Mar
http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/pr ... t-del-mar/