Saratoga 2019

Rick1323

Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:00 pm

Horsebagger wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:10 pm

I toured it one morning and was impressed with both the architecture and interior finishes. Quite the alternative from the pre-historic state of the main grandstand. One concern I had was efficiency of betting, as it seemed to lack SAM terminals and spots for tellers. Any issues getting your wagers in??
Sorry it took so long getting back, we ended up going back for the rest of the meet....lol. No intention of doing so, but it worked out anyhow. We only went there twice, but you are right. There are not enough terminals for the SAM bettors. I guess more are going in next year, but it wasn't good situation this year.
Everyone come home sound.....
Tessablue

Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:50 pm

I didn't go in the super fancy part, but just the clubhouse roof refurbishments were gorgeous. I agree that it would be nice to see the main grandstand get some love too, it's falling apart in spots.

One thing I really loved was the opening up of more paddock rail space. Moving the broadcasting tent forward just a few feet to give people access to that rail space was an awesome decision, and I think they also opened up some more space near where that rich person tent is. There's nowhere I love more than the Saratoga paddock rail before a baby race, and I was thrilled to have more space to do so this year.

Was anyone at sweatshirt giveaway day? Complete and utter madness. What is it about "free" stuff that makes people go into a blood frenzy? Parking and admission cost just as much as a sweatshirt in the first place...

We were only there for four days this year, but overall I had a great time even despite Sunday's chaos. I'm still sick over that horrible, horrible breakdown in the last race though. To make it the entire meet without a single racing fatality, then have a horse fall right in front of the stands during the final race.. just so awful for everyone. Hoping the Belmont meet has better luck, and if the JCGC field ends up as strong as it currently looks (Tacitus, Code of Honor, Preservationist, Thunder Snow, Vino Rosso, Yoshida...), I might end up down there this fall.
Somnambulist

Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:39 pm

Tessablue wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:50 pm
Was anyone at sweatshirt giveaway day? Complete and utter madness. What is it about "free" stuff that makes people go into a blood frenzy? Parking and admission cost just as much as a sweatshirt in the first place...
I haven't been to Saratoga since 2015, but I went over the Labor Day weekend for a good many.. and people were just extra over the giveaways. Moreso than other days. It's just a basic hoodie you could go to Target and get the same one. I don't get it.

Construction literally takes forever, so I expect the Islanders to have a new home by the time I'm 40. I wonder if they extend the meet again next year. I have two clients who spend the meet up there and the town is all not that happy with the dark Mondays and the additional people for another two weeks.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."