The Arlington Million

hadrianmarcus

Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:18 pm

Mylute wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:17 am
Yeah why is the Secretariat a mile race now? I don't remember hearing anything about it being shortened. I guess to attract Euros since the mile is their "premiere distance".
When the NYRA created the Turf Trinity this year...they fixed the race distances to match the distances the match the Triple Crowd. The G1-Belmont Derby, new Saratoga Derby and Jockey Club Derby at Belmont.
Given the prize money, dates, the race distances and bonuses of the Trinity, it left the historically relevant Secretariat Stakes in a bad position. So the cut the distance to a mile since there isn't a restricted mile G1 for turf three year olds.
Mylute

Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:40 pm

hadrianmarcus wrote:
Mylute wrote:
Yeah why is the Secretariat a mile race now? I don't remember hearing anything about it being shortened. I guess to attract Euros since the mile is their "premiere distance".
When the NYRA created the Turf Trinity this year...they fixed the race distances to match the distances the match the Triple Crowd. The G1-Belmont Derby, new Saratoga Derby and Jockey Club Derby at Belmont.
Given the prize money, dates, the race distances and bonuses of the Trinity, it left the historically relevant Secretariat Stakes in a bad position. So the cut the distance to a mile since there isn't a restricted mile G1 for turf three year olds.
I suppose that makes sense.

Although they could've just made the Secretariat the middle stage, and shorted it to make the "Preakness distance." But I guess Arlington isn't as flashy as Saratoga.
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞
Curtis

Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:53 pm

Mylute wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:40 pm
hadrianmarcus wrote:
Mylute wrote:
I suppose that makes sense.

Although they could've just made the Secretariat the middle stage, and shorted it to make the "Preakness distance." But I guess Arlington isn't as flashy as Saratoga.
It’s also not a member of NYRA.
Mylute

Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:50 am

I just re-watched the FSD and Made You Look ran a pretty gold race, just sort of faded at the end.
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞