Travers 2019

Retrospectiv

Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:54 pm

Wonder what 'unlucky' Tacitus' excuse is today? Too good of a trip? :)
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Tessablue

Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:57 pm

Retrospectiv wrote:
Why on earth are people so mean about Tacitus? He ran his eyeballs out like he always does, this time setting a strong pace while on the lead for the first time. What do you want him to do, run last so you don't have to admit he's actually a really good horse?

Code of Honor was very good, he's a better horse at the distance than I ever would have expected.
Equipoise

Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:58 pm

Is it my imagination or did Mucho get squeezed a bit at the end? Not saying that it made a difference in the finish though.
Tessablue

Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:59 pm

Equipoise wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:58 pm
Is it my imagination or did Mucho get squeezed a bit at the end? Not saying that it made a difference in the finish though.
There was a lot of bouncing, but it was hard to tell who initiated it. Appears to be no objection.
luvsgeldings

Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:01 pm

Mucho did look like he got squeezed - there was contact between him and Tacitus - would love to see the head on of that stretch run - thought Mucho ran really well though - congrats to Shug and Code of Honor.
katmandu

Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:07 pm

I saw that too, but I also thought Tacitus outlasted MG, not entirely surprising. Not nearly as surprising as Tacitus up front. He held on well. Hats off to Code of Honor, I did not think he could finish like that at 10 furlongs. And who is not happy when Shug wins? What a training job, taking him back to a one turn mile (sharpener?) and then the Travers. Shades of AOB, lol.
Happy Endings

Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:10 pm

The audio on Fox's telecast was awful. Horrible buzzing making it hard to hear the commentators. Anyone else notice that? Some of their video was wonky, too. Out of focus and such. They need more practice televising racing before they mess up another major event like that.

Great race, though.
Curtis

Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:11 pm

Tessablue wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:57 pm
Retrospectiv wrote:
Why on earth are people so mean about Tacitus? He ran his eyeballs out like he always does, this time setting a strong pace while on the lead for the first time. What do you want him to do, run last so you don't have to admit he's actually a really good horse?

Code of Honor was very good, he's a better horse at the distance than I ever would have expected.
I’ve certainly never had any thoughts of malice towards the horse. I just have come to the conclusion that he doesn’t have a discernible turn of foot. Does he need that to win a G1? No but it does mean tinkering needs to be done. I trust Mott if he thought that bad luck was the root cause of Tacitus losing, he wouldn’t be trying blinkers. He’s a nice, impeccably bred colt. When Alfred Vanderbilt said breed the best to the best and hope for the best he would have been happy with Tacitus. He’s got a good trainer to figure him out.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:17 pm

I'm not sure sending Tacitus to duel with MG on the front was best for the big grey in the long run. :?
However, I want send lots of love to Code of Honor; the little chestnut has bloomed into a really good racehorse. Also want to praise his sire, Noble Mission (GB), Frankel's group 1-winning brother, who may have blessed his son with a turf horse's turn-of-foot in the stretch.
Tessablue

Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:25 pm

Curtis wrote:
I’ve certainly never had any thoughts of malice towards the horse. I just have come to the conclusion that he doesn’t have a discernible turn of foot. Does he need that to win a G1? No but it does mean tinkering needs to be done. I trust Mott if he thought that bad luck was the root cause of Tacitus losing, he wouldn’t be trying blinkers. He’s a nice, impeccably bred colt. When Alfred Vanderbilt said breed the best to the best and hope for the best he would have been happy with Tacitus. He’s got a good trainer to figure him out.
Can't it be both? A horse who needs a bit of work intersecting with some difficult situations? I hated the blinkers on and would have much preferred one more try without them, but I think he both needs to be more into the race and he needs to be given the chance to run his best. Say what you will about the "his lack of focus caused the stumble" narrative, but nothing he did parked him wide in the Belmont or stuck him on the rail in the Jim Dandy stretch.

I'm just really discouraged by the general attitude towards him (check out all the people calling him a pig on twitter). Shouldn't we be celebrating a horse who runs as well as Tacitus does, no matter the situation or race shape? If he'd won we'd all be talking about how impressive it was that he switched things up. Not sure what it is about this particular horse that doesn't connect with people, because he has so much you want in a racehorse. I hope he gets his chance to shine during the rest of the season. Wonder if they consider a jockey change as well, seems like there's just a bit of a disconnect there.

Anyways, interested to see where Code of Honor goes next. Seems like a horse with many, many options.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:33 pm

Does anyone know whether Code of Honor has run on the grass?
If he hasn't, it would be interesting to see how he does....not that his connections are likely to do anything with a Travers-winning colt besides run him again on the brown stuff. :P :lol:
middleground

Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:33 pm

Tessablue wrote:

Anyways, interested to see where Code of Honor goes next. Seems like a horse with many, many options.
Same with Mucho Gusto. He's already at least as good as his sire was at 3. Is MMM going to get horses who improve with age as he did?
MySaladDays

Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:36 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:17 pm
I'm not sure sending Tacitus to duel with MG on the front was best for the big grey in the long run. :?
Not for a classic distance race for sure. The stamina horse will come along and take you down in the stretch ..... which is what happened.

CoH is all stamina. His mare side numbers were best in this race.......Game Winner may have given him some trouble though, but we willl never know.

I respect Tacitus, that one always gives his best. I disliked him a lot before the TC races and during........but now I have come to respect him

Looking at the med reports, Tax and Owendale if peoople would be in a rehab facility for arthritis. So many drugs. That is why I didn't play them on my ticket.

CoH? Water Hay Oats.......big difference there. no meds whatsoever. (lasix like all the rest of course though)

Am tickled we got $10.80 on him........really made up for a lot of the crappy SAR "brown has 3-4 horses in every race" chalky meet for me.
Izvestia

Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:38 pm

Tessablue wrote:
Curtis wrote:
Can't it be both? A horse who needs a bit of work intersecting with some difficult situations? I hated the blinkers on and would have much preferred one more try without them, but I think he both needs to be more into the race and he needs to be given the chance to run his best. Say what you will about the "his lack of focus caused the stumble" narrative, but nothing he did parked him wide in the Belmont or stuck him on the rail in the Jim Dandy stretch.

I'm just really discouraged by the general attitude towards him (check out all the people calling him a pig on twitter). Shouldn't we be celebrating a horse who runs as well as Tacitus does, no matter the situation or race shape? If he'd won we'd all be talking about how impressive it was that he switched things up. Not sure what it is about this particular horse that doesn't connect with people, because he has so much you want in a racehorse. I hope he gets his chance to shine during the rest of the season. Wonder if they consider a jockey change as well, seems like there's just a bit of a disconnect there.

I love Tacitus, he doesn’t run a bad race, even when he has “trouble”. He seems to be still growing/maturing and I think he has room to improve.
Somnambulist

Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:12 pm

Tessablue wrote:
Twitter is a cesspool, as is all social media. I stopped using all of it a few months ago and my mental health has really improved.

It is weird though. People celebrated Sun King for the exact reason they don't like Tacitus.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Mylute

Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:17 pm

I wonder if the fact that Tacitus has the same trainer as Country House has anything to do with the vitriol.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
carole

Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:18 pm

Agreed, Tacitus is still learning in my opinion and I think he could be top class next season if he stays around! I hope Code of Honor stays around too because he seems to be hitting his stride (no pun intended).
Somnambulist

Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:28 pm

Mylute wrote:
I wonder if the fact that Tacitus has the same trainer as Country House has anything to do with the vitriol.
People love Mott, and they generally love Juddmonte.
Tessablue

Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:33 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:12 pm

Twitter is a cesspool, as is all social media. I stopped using all of it a few months ago and my mental health has really improved.

It is weird though. People celebrated Sun King for the exact reason they don't like Tacitus.
Yeah, I don't even have an account, but I thought it would be interesting to do a quick search and see what people were saying. Big mistake!

Sun King was so cool. Perfect Drift comes to mind also. I hope we get to enjoy Tacitus for a fraction of the time we enjoyed them... though I'm sure a 4yo season is the best we can hope for with that pedigree.

Thinking about it more, I suspect this crop will actually be looked upon quite kindly in future years. It's great to see Derby performers backing up their form post-TC, and I think the 3yos will make a good name for themselves against older horses (assuming they don't all just run in the abomination that is the PA Derby). Code of Honor, Maximum Security, Tacitus, Mucho Gusto, Game Winner, Omaha Beach... there are a lot of nice 3yos still out there racing, and it's great to see.
Somnambulist wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:28 pm
Mylute wrote:
People love Mott,
I thought this was the case, but there sure was a lot of resentment towards him after the Derby. I suppose we really do live in a bizarro world now.
Somnambulist

Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:02 pm

There is a large part of me that really enjoys everyone running in the PA Derby and offending all the old institutions of racing.