Travers 2019

User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 3174
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:03 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:28 pm
Mylute wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:17 pm
I wonder if the fact that Tacitus has the same trainer as Country House has anything to do with the vitriol.
People love Mott, and they generally love Juddmonte.
There was a lot of vitriol towards Mott after the Derby, even though IIRC it was the jock that sent up the inquiry, not Mott.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
Somnambulist
Posts: 7725
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:10 pm

Mylute wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:03 pm
There was a lot of vitriol towards Mott after the Derby, even though IIRC it was the jock that sent up the inquiry, not Mott.
Totally. But I guess I always underestimate the hatred of sports fans and their inability to let things go. People overlook worse things all the time i.e. the entire state of America.

The West's have made themselves look so bad over it you'd think that would shine through more.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 3174
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:21 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:10 pm
Mylute wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:03 pm
There was a lot of vitriol towards Mott after the Derby, even though IIRC it was the jock that sent up the inquiry, not Mott.
Totally. But I guess I always underestimate the hatred of sports fans and their inability to let things go. People overlook worse things all the time i.e. the entire state of America.

The West's have made themselves look so bad over it you'd think that would shine through more.
BloodHorse is very selective about what articles they allow comments on nowadays for many reasons, but from what I remember seeing (which was little due to the former), there's been more support of the Wests than criticism. There's been a fair amount of criticism, but mostly on Twitter or Paulick, i.e. ShamIAmNot's (of course) tweet referring to Gary as the "royal baby."

I'm not even going to glance at HRN.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
Tessablue
Posts: 3827
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am
Location: Boston

Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:39 pm

Man, this year's Derby was a psychologist's field day. I hope someone somewhere gets a paper out of it.

105 for Code of Honor, btw. Nice figure, nice race.
middleground
Posts: 496
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:29 pm

Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:02 pm

Tessablue wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:39 pm

105 for Code of Honor, btw. Nice figure, nice race.
Midnight Bisou 104
Mitole 105
Come Dancing 96
Mind Control 97

David Grening @DRFGrening: "Just a fabulous, fabulous day of racing." I agree; just one great race after another.
barbaro111
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:43 pm

Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes, it sure was an awesome day of racing--
katmandu
Posts: 1168
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:16 am

Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:28 pm

middleground wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:28 pm
That was a heck of an effort by Come Dancing. Broke slow, wide trip, won drawing away.
A very nice story about her trainer:

https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/arti ... -families/
MySaladDays
Posts: 991
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:16 am

Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:40 pm

Tessablue wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:57 pm

Why on earth are people so mean about Tacitus? He ran his eyeballs out like he always does
probably because it's really only the New York handicappers who keep trying to convince the public that this horse is some kind of 2nd coming And then he doesn't. I have not noticed that cappers and talking heads in rest of the nation are as coo coo for cocoa pops over him as the New York guys.

I'm with you, as I already said, he give 100%+ every time.
MySaladDays
Posts: 991
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:16 am

Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:43 pm

pointgivenfan wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:00 pm
Phipps/Shug had a nice win with Performer in the fourth
Indeed. had him in my virtual stable for a while now, because I noticed the beautiful breeding. Glad he performed as I thought he would
katmandu
Posts: 1168
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:16 am

Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:02 am

pointgivenfan wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:00 pm
Phipps/Shug had a nice win with Performer in the fourth
Interesting coincidence factoid - Performer's dam, Protesting ran 2nd in the 2009 Demoiselle (G2). It was won by Tizahit, the dam of Come Dancing, winner of Race 6, The Ballerina.
peeptoad
Posts: 2846
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:53 pm

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:22 am

Excellent race by Code of Honor. I can always find something positive if Shug wins a race. He's an easy guy to root for, and CoH is growing on me.
Tacitus did not get the best of trips, but it was probably a slight better trip than Mucho Gusto had if one is splitting hairs (his position versus the inside part of the track, etc.). MG got beat by the distance though I think. On the note of Tacitus being under-appreciated I disagree, but I also never read Twitter (or Instagram, or FB, or...) so maybe the online Twits are giving him some negative criticism he doesn't deserve. In other venues he seems to be given due props without anyone going overboard. He's about on par with the upper echelon of this crop, but no standout (is there one this year?). He's had some trouble during a few of his races, but not anything truly egregious. I.E. he's a good horse (prob a bit better than his record indicates), but nothing really special. The special ones have the same trouble (or worse) and still win. At this point Max Sec has a tenuous lead on the division, but it would be no surprise to see another step it up and overtake him. Not much between the layers at the top this year... and right now CoH has the momentum.
stark
Posts: 5086
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:24 am

Worth repeating, from late July.... ;)

https://twitter.com/andyserling/status/ ... 7128077312
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
peeptoad
Posts: 2846
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:53 pm

Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:31 pm

stark wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:24 am
Worth repeating, from late July.... ;)

https://twitter.com/andyserling/status/ ... 7128077312
He's a fan. Nothing wrong with that... :)
https://twitter.com/andyserling/status/ ... 6468141057
thinair
Posts: 1732
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:46 pm

Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:47 pm

peeptoad wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:31 pm
stark wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:24 am
Worth repeating, from late July.... ;)

https://twitter.com/andyserling/status/ ... 7128077312
He's a fan. Nothing wrong with that... :)
https://twitter.com/andyserling/status/ ... 6468141057
I'm trying to figure out which part of that was "worth repeating." He has been an extraordinarily unlucky horse.

I guess Stark hadn't had a chance to say something moronic related to me in a while. Not sure why. I give plenty of material, if not daily certainly weekly.
Somnambulist
Posts: 7725
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:54 pm

He's obviously got a thing for you I don't know why anyone would care this much.

Either that or Stark is very jealous of insiders because he seems to have the most problems with people he knows or thinks are. I do believe in one of his deleted tyrants against me he was questioning my "skin in the game". Which is none .
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
peeptoad
Posts: 2846
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:53 pm

Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:01 pm

thinair wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:47 pm
peeptoad wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:31 pm
stark wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:24 am
Worth repeating, from late July.... ;)

https://twitter.com/andyserling/status/ ... 7128077312
He's a fan. Nothing wrong with that... :)
https://twitter.com/andyserling/status/ ... 6468141057
I'm trying to figure out which part of that was "worth repeating." He has been an extraordinarily unlucky horse.

I guess Stark hadn't had a chance to say something moronic related to me in a while. Not sure why. I give plenty of material, if not daily certainly weekly.
Nah, nothing moronic from you. Just thought I'd respond with a more recent tweet of yours.
Anyway, looks like the blinkers stay on for the JCGC.
stark
Posts: 5086
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:13 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:54 pm
He's obviously got a thing for you I don't know why anyone would care this much.

Either that or Stark is very jealous of insiders because he seems to have the most problems with people he knows or thinks are. I do believe in one of his deleted tyrants against me he was questioning my "skin in the game". Which is none .
Ohh, speaking of prior posts here, I seem to recall that you're the one who in heated debate with an elderly woman battling life threatening illnesses told her to "go fuck yourself". Stay classy!

Ya just can't make this stuff up!
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Horsebagger
Posts: 2086
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:20 pm

Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:28 pm

Had a pretty memorable weekend up in Saratoga, and come back to see how far this site has fallen into the abyss. It was once a place to share handicapping thoughts of major races, and to engage in high-level industry discussion. So much so, it was able to survive that knucklehead Quiet Chris on a daily basis.

Not anymore. Now its a place that's toxic enough to drive AWAY industry insiders.

Sad.
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 10345
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:16 pm

Can we please try to keep this site from devolving into Nextdoor? :P :lol:
stark
Posts: 5086
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:21 pm

Horsebagger wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:28 pm
Had a pretty memorable weekend up in Saratoga, and come back to see how far this site has fallen into the abyss. It was once a place to share handicapping thoughts of major races, and to engage in high-level industry discussion. So much so, it was able to survive that knucklehead Quiet Chris on a daily basis.

Not anymore. Now its a place that's toxic enough to drive AWAY industry insiders.

Sad.
Did you go to Hardoon's seminar? I know he had a couple of real goodie$ and a couple of tough beat$.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Post Reply