Honor Code ...

Horsebagger

Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:16 pm

Retrospectiv wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:11 pm
Horsebagger wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:10 pm
Let's see what happens when Democratic Values debuts on Friday back at Belmont Park. Klaravitch/Brown/Castellano teaming up with a colt with a string of works on the main track at Saratoga that suggest he as some talent. Watch him work on xbtv.com in advance and tell me he's a one paced grinder.

I don't think so.
I'm talking about the father, not the son, remember?

I never said HC never had talent, he very obviously did. But, there's no denying he had one run in him per race, from dead last usually. And he either made up the distance, or he didn't. I never cared for the fact the jock usually had at least one crack on his ass into him between the 1/2 and 3/4, just to get him motivated to get rolling. The Met Mile was by far his best win.
I'm 100% aware of who you're comments are referring to. The conclusion is what is comical. Not to mention the bolded comment above, followed by a comment that puts the spotlight on your disdain for him, wherever that may come from. His Whitney win, beating Liam''s Map running the race of HIS life (i know, because I bet the gonads off that fella that day as a Sheets play and couldn't believe he got nailed on the wire.) was what stamped him for me. It was an undeniably outstanding effort of the exact opposite of 'grinding' to a win. Although grinders don't run miles on the dirt in 1:33+, either. :oops:

Thanks for driving the thread though with your thoughts. Very entertaining.
Horsebagger

Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:26 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:03 pm
Horsebagger wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:25 pm
Slewfan2 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:24 pm

He twice comfortably thumped an $875,000 Candy Ride colt owned by Peter Brant for starters. When he was on the inside, the rider was looking at his workmate imploring him to stay with him while he was being asked by that rider to go, until finally running away from him near the wire.

Of course, Brazillian might be nothing more than a plowhorse, but i'd think they are probably paired together because they may be viewed as comparable in Chad's eyes. at least at this point.
Meh on the price. They've all not started, it's a wash.

People spend money on all sorts of stuff that doesn't pair out.
True that. But 10 works in, Chad generally knows who to pair with who, and that speaks volumes to me that his last two works prior to debut these two were together.
Somnambulist

Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:53 pm

Ugh, messed up quotes. I guess that's what I get for typing on a treadmill.

I feel like Honor Code was a horse I really enjoyed and respected but is somehow lodged in my memory as a horse I was generally left wanting more from. Memory is a strange thing. I went looking and he routinely just ran against really good horses. 2015 in retrospect was some year, although it felt like a great year even at the time. No wonder I feel like I've been chasing a high since then.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Mylute

Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:12 am

I remember a lot of talk about Honor Code being the one to defeat Pharoah in the Classic.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
Retrospectiv

Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:42 pm

Horsebagger wrote:
Retrospectiv wrote:
Horsebagger wrote:
Let's see what happens when Democratic Values debuts on Friday back at Belmont Park. Klaravitch/Brown/Castellano teaming up with a colt with a string of works on the main track at Saratoga that suggest he as some talent. Watch him work on xbtv.com in advance and tell me he's a one paced grinder.

I don't think so.

I never said HC never had talent, he very obviously did. But, there's no denying he had one run in him per race, from dead last usually. And he either made up the distance, or he didn't. I never cared for the fact the jock usually had at least one crack on his ass into him between the 1/2 and 3/4, just to get him motivated to get rolling. The Met Mile was by far his best win.
I'm 100% aware of who you're comments are referring to. The conclusion is what is comical. Not to mention the bolded comment above, followed by a comment that puts the spotlight on your disdain for him, wherever that may come from. His Whitney win, beating Liam''s Map running the race of HIS life (i know, because I bet the gonads off that fella that day as a Sheets play and couldn't believe he got nailed on the wire.) was what stamped him for me. It was an undeniably outstanding effort of the exact opposite of 'grinding' to a win. Although grinders don't run miles on the dirt in 1:33+, either. :oops:

Hey, I'm glad you're amused.

I'm entertained, and certainly not shocked by his staunch defenders and how defensive they are LOL.
The proof will be in the pudding on how much of that running style he transmits to his offspring, and how successful it is for them.
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Curtis

Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:52 pm

Unbridled was a closer. He seemed to eek out a living as a stallion.
Tessablue

Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:05 pm

Curtis wrote:
A.P. Indy as well. And it's easy to forget, given how fast his offspring tend to be, that Tapit wasn't exactly a speedster either.

I don't have any particular feelings towards Honor Code, but he was a quality horse, and that fact will not be impacted by the success of his offspring.
Curtis

Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:12 pm

Tessablue wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:05 pm
Curtis wrote:
A.P. Indy as well. And it's easy to forget, given how fast his offspring tend to be, that Tapit wasn't exactly a speedster either.

I don't have any particular feelings towards Honor Code, but he was a quality horse, and that fact will not be impacted by the success of his offspring.
His style too could have been the result of training. Some horses pull themselves up when the get the lead or they want to hang when asked to methodically pass horses. Sometimes it’s best to just have them sprint by late and let their momentum work against their herd tendencies.
Slewfan2

Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:59 pm

Retrospectiv wrote:
Horsebagger wrote:
Retrospectiv wrote:

Hey, I'm glad you're amused.

I'm entertained, and certainly not shocked by his staunch defenders and how defensive they are LOL.
The proof will be in the pudding on how much of that running style he transmits to his offspring, and how successful it is for them.
It's pretty sad that you can't deal with people who disagree with you except to say we're defensive; no, we're correcting your incorrect belief that Honor Code was a grinding, slow, plodder.

AP Indy generally raced mid-pack; so, while a closer in the sense that he was no front runner, he didn't have at all the same style as Honor Code.
Horsebagger

Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:05 pm

Curtis wrote:
Cryptoclearance
Retrospectiv

Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:14 pm

Slewfan2 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:59 pm
Retrospectiv wrote:
Horsebagger wrote:

It's pretty sad that you can't deal with people who disagree with you except to say we're defensive; no, we're correcting your incorrect belief that Honor Code was a grinding, slow, plodder.

AP Indy generally raced mid-pack; so, while a closer in the sense that he was no front runner, he didn't have at all the same style as Honor Code.
Do I seem like I can't deal with people? I've been here a long time, and no one has driven me off yet LOL

I do find it funny how you believe you can "correct" my belief. As I stated from my 1st post on this, I said IMO, and as such, my belief. It is MINE. Not yours. I don't share yours, I do not expect you to share mine, or "correct" it ;)

Many horses are mid pack runners. There's only the select few that run strictly from last and make one extended run each time.
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Curtis

Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:17 am

Horsebagger wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:05 pm
Curtis wrote:
Cryptoclearance
Absolutely.......talk about a closer, he could be Silky Sullivanesque. Earned his keep in the shed, too.
stark

Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:21 pm

thinair wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:19 pm
Horsebagger wrote:

I don't think so.
You beat me to it :)
Curious in any post-race analysis?
FWIW, clocker extraordinaire Bruno de Julio said on morning radio (before the race) that he was worth a strong look as a Kentucky Derby Future wager, could be something "very special".
http://www.equibase.com/premium/chartEm ... y=USA&rn=5
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Slewfan2

Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:50 am

stark wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:21 pm
thinair wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:19 pm
Horsebagger wrote:

I don't think so.
You beat me to it :)
Curious in any post-race analysis?
FWIW, clocker extraordinaire Bruno de Julio said on morning radio (before the race) that he was worth a strong look as a Kentucky Derby Future wager, could be something "very special".
http://www.equibase.com/premium/chartEm ... y=USA&rn=5
I watched the race because I was, of course, eager to see this guy.......and he didn't lift a foot; he really didn't show a thing. I was watching the Belmont Live show because I love to hear Andy's analysis, and he was talking about how the favorite (and eventual winner) and DV were likely stakes quality horses based on rep/workouts. DV actually drifted up throughout the betting, so although he took decent money, I wonder now if the fans knew something. In any case, whatever this colt showed in the morning, he didn't show in the afternoon. Perhaps he's a morning glory? He was beaten 17 lengths.....he's got a lot of making up to do just to break his maiden, nevermind being a KY Derby contender.

All that said, I remember Maggie Wolfendale saying that the colt lacked definition behind and seemed to be undeveloped in that regard; she seemed to imply that, as a result, he might need to race himself into shape
Retrospectiv

Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:13 pm

Horsebagger wrote:

I don't think so.
One paced grinder would have been better than 11 lengths behind the winner. Hopefully he improves off that 'effort'.
Squeaky

Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:53 pm

Honor AP, a 2 yo who looked a lot like HC rallied from last to be second at Del Mar about a month or so ago in a maiden race? Has he raced again? Thanks
Curtis

Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:33 pm

Squeaky wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:53 pm
Honor AP, a 2 yo who looked a lot like HC rallied from last to be second at Del Mar about a month or so ago in a maiden race? Has he raced again? Thanks
Two works, no races.
Slewfan2

Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:03 pm

I missed the race, but Bama Breeze (a gelding) upset race 5, on the turf, at Churchill; I believe he paid $28.00...