2019 Breeders Cup Classic and Watch

honneerider

Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:17 pm

I was hoping Mike would not ride last Saturday......joking that I wish Johnny V could stay. If Code of Honor passes on the BC, please, Bob, put Johnny up on McKinzie!
stark

Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:31 pm

honneerider wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:17 pm
I was hoping Mike would not ride last Saturday......joking that I wish Johnny V could stay. If Code of Honor passes on the BC, please, Bob, put Johnny up on McKinzie!
Just let JohnnyV and his agent make the choice, will be fun to sit back and watch the deliberation.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:42 pm

Question about McKinzie.....

Numbers, whatever you use, Beyer Speed Figures, Ragozin Sheet numbers, whatever.....
was his recent Awesome Again race one of his best races from a numbers perspective?
I saw that he got a 108 Beyer, but don't know his history.
Likewise, I can see the history in Brisnet 109-103-112 but don't know if bettered his numbers there?
thanks, just curious after seeing the new top at Equibase.

http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Result ... registry=T
Starine

Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:18 pm

BC Classic in State of Disarray - Steve Haskin
http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/countdow ... array.aspx
Apollo

Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:32 pm

stark wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:53 pm
McKinzie will have a new rider in the Breeders' Cup Classic on Nov. 2 at Santa Anita.

Trainer Bob Baffert on Tuesday said that he has decided to make a switch from Mike Smith, who has ridden McKinzie in all 13 of his career starts. This follows a second-place finish as the odds-on favorite in the Awesome Again Stakes on Saturday at Santa Anita, the colt's fourth second-place finish this year in six starts.

"I'm still going to use Mike on horses," Baffert said Tuesday. "But for the Classic, I'm going to make a change. I let Mike know now, because I want to give him a chance to get something else."

https://live.drf.com/nuggets/49611-mcki ... -of-change
Baffert was obviously annoyed by that ride. During the post race interview he said something like, "I thought he had a chance for an easy lead. Then Mike took him back for some reason. I'm going to have to ask him why he did that."

McKinzie has talent but several quirks. I don't think Smith has ever had a proper feel for exactly what to do with him, given how a race unfolds compared to expectation.

In a year with everything going great I doubt Baffert makes this move. But given Derby flops and Justify scrutiny I think he wants to salvage with a Classic victory and has doubts that Smith provides the best opportunity.
Tessablue

Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:07 am

I dunno, I kind of like this year's Classic field. If those horses on Haskin's list all entered, it would be a really fun and intriguing race to analyze. Without running any numbers, I would argue that it's no worse, top-to-bottom, than any of the fields from 2011-2014. Maybe I'm just still pretty up on these 3yos. I think Owendale is going to be magnificent at 4 and I'm excited to see him in the Classic, Code of Honor is such a nice little horse, and I still believe Tacitus is sitting on a Frosted-esque performance.

Code of Honor is in, btw.
Mylute

Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:27 am

Tessablue wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:07 am
I dunno, I kind of like this year's Classic field. If those horses on Haskin's list all entered, it would be a really fun and intriguing race to analyze. Without running any numbers, I would argue that it's no worse, top-to-bottom, than any of the fields from 2011-2014. Maybe I'm just still pretty up on these 3yos. I think Owendale is going to be magnificent at 4 and I'm excited to see him in the Classic, Code of Honor is such a nice little horse, and I still believe Tacitus is sitting on a Frosted-esque performance.

Code of Honor is in, btw.
I agree, and if Elate shows up it's even better.
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞
Horsebagger

Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:02 pm

It's early yet, but better than even money at this point that I'll be heading back to the hotel before post time of the Classic.
Somnambulist

Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:29 pm

Horsebagger wrote:
It's early yet, but better than even money at this point that I'll be heading back to the hotel before post time of the Classic.
That's completely boring.
Somnambulist

Why do people think the shitty fields Elate has been winning against make her a good candidate here?
honneerider

Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:40 pm

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/co ... Uo.twitter

Code of Honor confirmed for BC Classic.
There goes my shot of Johnny V on McKinzie
Horsebagger

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:33 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Horsebagger wrote:
I'm disappointed. You are one of the few who should know that 'back to the hotel' is code-word for celebrating.
Curtis

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:34 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Why do people think the shitty fields Elate has been winning against make her a good candidate here?
All I can figure is the 10f or the fact she’s never lost to the Classic probables or both. Also there’s always the old chestnut, “They do it in Europe all the time.”
Curtis

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:35 pm

Horsebagger wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:
Horsebagger wrote:
I'm disappointed. You are one of the few who should know that 'back to the hotel' is code-word for celebrating.
And if you can get Netflix.........
Somnambulist

Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:41 pm

Horsebagger wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:
Horsebagger wrote:
I have had a trying day you'll have to forgive me. Just about ready to give up and go on welfare.

Surely the two of you could do better than the hotel anyway.
stark

Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:03 am

from DRF.....

Preakness winner War of Will will make his next start in the $6 million Breeder’s Cup Classic, trainer Mark Casse said Saturday morning.

War of Will, most recently third in the Grade 1 Pennsylvania Derby at Parx, worked a half mile in 50.20 seconds over Belmont Park’s main track Saturday morning. He will ship to Kentucky on Monday and then fly to Southern California on Thursday, Casse said.

Casse said the Classic “was what we were thinking all along.” Cassse trains War of Will for owner Gary Barber.
luvsgeldings

Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:19 pm

I don't know for sure what race Mr Mandella is going to point Omaha Beach to in the BC - but no matter what race it is... sprint, dirt mile, or the classic - I believe Omaha could take any one of them.

that race he just ran in the santa anita sprint off his layoff, outstanding!!! as soon as he was in the dogfight with shancelot, you knew he was going to fight for it - and he sure did - he loves a battle and he wants to win them all - love this horse so much!!!

such a sweetheart in the barn (so much like his daddy, War Front) - but man, such a fighter on the track!!

cannot wait to see him in the BC, in any race - and sure hopes he stays in training next year!
Curtis

Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:14 pm

luvsgeldings wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:19 pm
I don't know for sure what race Mr Mandella is going to point Omaha Beach to in the BC - but no matter what race it is... sprint, dirt mile, or the classic - I believe Omaha could take any one of them.

that race he just ran in the santa anita sprint off his layoff, outstanding!!! as soon as he was in the dogfight with shancelot, you knew he was going to fight for it - and he sure did - he loves a battle and he wants to win them all - love this horse so much!!!

such a sweetheart in the barn (so much like his daddy, War Front) - but man, such a fighter on the track!!

cannot wait to see him in the BC, in any race - and sure hopes he stays in training next year!
If he were mine, Sprint-Malibu-Pegasus. Then time off and see if he’ll go 10f. Alas he’s not mine.
luvsgeldings

Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:30 pm

after those races he won at Oaklawn earlier this year, it sure looked like he could get the 1 1/4 without any problem - would love to see him do it.
Curtis

Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:37 pm

luvsgeldings wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:30 pm
after those races he won at Oaklawn earlier this year, it sure looked like he could get the 1 1/4 without any problem - would love to see him do it.
Had he not gotten sick at Del Mar and been able to get in the Shared Belief and then the PA Derby. But I just don’t see Papa M doing that off of one sprint prep.