Breeders Cup Discussion?

bare it all

Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:27 pm

Yeah, I dont post much anymore because life+kids+job, etc. I do pop in to read at least once a week.

Classic: McKinzie looked... something... in his work. I haven't ever watched him work so maybe he's just that way? I wouldn't probably bet him, though. I actually don't hate Mongolian Groom and at odds +10/1 he starts seeming more interesting. I think Vino Rosso is the horse to beat with Code of Honor not getting as close this time.

Where did Bricks and Mortar decide to run? Not a fan of the "waffling"...

With Magical going in, can Sistercharlie repeat in the FM Turf?
stark

Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:23 pm

I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:49 pm

I read that Mike Smith was aboard for Mitole's workout. Is Mike going to be riding him in the Sprint?
stark

Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:17 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:49 pm
I read that Mike Smith was aboard for Mitole's workout. Is Mike going to be riding him in the Sprint?
excerpt from the DRF story....

“Did it nice. Did it the right way. Recovered quick,” said Smith, who was helping out the Asmussen barn, as Ricardo Santana Jr. has the mount in the Breeders’ Cup.
stark

Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:00 pm

Mike Welsch
‏@DRFWelsch

Omaha Beach impressive this morning immediately after renovation break from the 5/8 in 35.68 59.88 going easily continued 3/4 112.93 up 7F 127.81 for Dirt Mile.

Also Wrecking Crew from gate 6F 47.40 114.37 tiring late under pressure for Juvenile.
Somnambulist

Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:23 pm

The Sprint is loaded with speed. Sets up for a closer? What a wonderful looking field.
Horsebagger

Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:19 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
The Sprint is loaded with speed. Sets up for a closer? What a wonderful looking field.
Woodford team loves Engage, who's gone to another level transferring from Chad Brown to Assmussen.

If anyone likes him, and i'm not sure yet if I do, you'll get a price.
Tessablue

Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:09 pm

If we're looking for closers in the Sprint, I could not love Diamond Oops more at this point. It's going to be a tough race to figure because the top two are so good but there are a lot of nice horses pre-entered.

Looking at the pre-entries, it seems we should expect small fields on the dirt and huge fields on the turf. Can't really blame them.
Somnambulist

Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:11 pm

Tessablue wrote:
If we're looking for closers in the Sprint, I could not love Diamond Oops more at this point. It's going to be a tough race to figure because the top two are so good but there are a lot of nice horses pre-entered.

Looking at the pre-entries, it seems we should expect small fields on the dirt and huge fields on the turf. Can't really blame them.
It had a long way to go, obviously, but the turf is no longer the red headed ugly step child of racing. The past few years have really helped turn things around. They are routinely better handicapping and betting races.

Should the game survive another 50 years I wonder if the Turf or the Classics purse is bigger?
Tessablue

Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:30 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:11 pm
Tessablue wrote:

It had a long way to go, obviously, but the turf is no longer the red headed ugly step child of racing. The past few years have really helped turn things around. They are routinely better handicapping and betting races.

Should the game survive another 50 years I wonder if the Turf or the Classics purse is bigger?
Right? Remember when everyone made fun of the juvenile turf races? They've turned into the most interesting and competitive races on the card. The Juvenile Turf Sprint had 26 pre-entries this year, whereas the Juvenile Sprint couldn't last more than two years.

I'm fine with it. Turf races are safer and more interesting to bet.
Somnambulist

Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:43 pm

I was probably one of them LOL. Oh well, we grow and get smarter. But they've turned out to be a good indicator of future talent.
thinair

Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:50 pm

Horsebagger wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:
Woodford team loves Engage, who's gone to another level transferring from Chad Brown to Assmussen.

Excited about the big win over Bon Raison?

Please stop. I'm losing respect for you.
Somnambulist

Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:05 pm

Better than Hog Creek Hustle.

If Mitole can't win and if it was an ideal world, it would be cool to see Whitmore win it. But I'm not sure he's got it in him these days.
ThreeMustangs

Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:09 pm

Tessablue wrote:
I think it would be a PR nightmare if a Biancone horse won a BC race. How does Mr. Cobra Venom even have a license?
Somnambulist

Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:11 pm

ThreeMustangs wrote:
I think it would be a PR nightmare if a Biancone horse won a BC race. How does Mr. Cobra Venom even have a license?
I agree, but mainstream media won't pick this up. We are halfway through the NFL season, the World Series just started, the NBA is back up amidst controversy and etc... we are the low, low man on the totem pole at the moment.

I think part of the reason racing has been able to get by without reform is because next to no one cares about it. At least, that's how I feel about things these days.
CorridorZ75

Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:37 pm

Personally, will watch how the dirt races are playing earlier next week and even more so on Friday to see if they end of tightening the track on the day of some of the races because, if not, I think it will take some serious pace pressure and speed duels to allow any closers to have a shot.
Tessablue

Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:55 pm

ThreeMustangs wrote:
Unless someone writes an op-ed, hard to see it mattering. It seems like there's an arbitrary time limit on scandals- if you survive past it, the scandal no longer matters. Certainly there have been other unscrupulous trainers who have won recent BC races without outrage. Not saying it's a good thing, but that just seems to be how it works.
CorridorZ75 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:37 pm
Personally, will watch how the dirt races are playing earlier next week and even more so on Friday to see if they end of tightening the track on the day of some of the races because, if not, I think it will take some serious pace pressure and speed duels to allow any closers to have a shot.
Agreed. Haven't watched a ton of SA but it does seem like closers have struggled over it thus far. I especially hope it's fair for Owendale's sake... but I'll probably lose money on him either way.
Horsebagger

Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:41 pm

thinair wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:50 pm
Horsebagger wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:

Excited about the big win over Bon Raison?

Please stop. I'm losing respect for you.
Fired up after a little R&R it seems?

I am conveying scuttlebutt. Hardly endorsing the horse, having not seen his sheet yet, but he will be a price. Regardless, I may be tapped out well before that race goes to post.

Side note....it's a shame what that owner/'trainer' is doing recently to that poor horse, Bon Raison. Has him in again on Friday.
thinair

Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:01 pm

Horsebagger wrote:

I am conveying scuttlebutt. Hardly endorsing the horse, having not seen his sheet yet, but he will be a price. Regardless, I may be tapped out well before that race goes to post.

Side note....it's a shame what that owner/'trainer' is doing recently to that poor horse, Bon Raison. Has him in again on Friday.
I could not agree more on the last part. It's upsetting to see.

Engage is the same mediocrity for Mr. Personality as he was for Chad. He just found the right spot/situation last time, especially given Promises Fulfilled doesn't seem competitive anymore. That looked like a turf race with about seven of them across the track at the wire. You don't see that too often on the dirt, and it's usually an indicator of a bad race.

The Sprint is the race of the weekend. Best one I can remember in a while.
Horsebagger

Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:55 am

thinair wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:01 pm
Horsebagger wrote:

The Sprint is the race of the weekend. Best one I can remember in a while.
Both dirt sprint races, no? Boys are deep and talented top to bottom. Fillies, while it doesn't go very deep (imo), have the classic matchup of top 3yo filly vs top older mare.