Horse Racing Is Its Own Worst Enemy

Catalina

Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:17 am

ThreeMustangs wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:36 pm
Somnambulist wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:16 pm
Why do we care what PETA thinks?
I don't care what PETA thinks, but they are winning the social media battle with the general public.
That.
Somnambulist

Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:17 pm

Are they? I think people have a really negative opinion of racing without PETA's help.

I don't see what they're doing to hurt racing so badly in social media at the moment
WarBiscuit

Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:21 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Are they? I think people have a really negative opinion of racing without PETA's help.

I don't see what they're doing to hurt racing so badly in social media at the moment
Well, the photo they (PETA) posted today of Bridget Moloney laying in the garbage dump and being viewed globally isn't winning any friends for the sport. This, of course, is just an advertisement for the astounding stupidity on the part of the internal watch group at the race track that allowed this to happen. Treat yourself to the West Virginia Racing Commissions statement about horse disposal - and then take a look at the picture. Whoops...

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
sweettalk

Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:52 am

shame the general public lets ppl like PETA prey on them. a quick trip to google will tell them all abt the actual facts of things PETA gets outraged over but hey, that sounds like effort. easier to just believe what the nutjobs scream abt.
stark

Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:52 pm

Mountaineer Park complied with its policies and local laws regarding disposal of an animal carcass in a case revolving around the recent distribution of photographs of a horse carcass lying in the open air at a West Virginia landfill near the track, according to a law-enforcement official investigating the case.

Sgt. Doug Wade of the Hancock County Sheriff’s Office said Tuesday that the investigation so far “has cleared Mountaineer” of any violations regarding the horse. He said that Mountaineer has a policy to dispose of horse carcasses at a designated area of the landfill, and that it is still unclear how the horse ended up in an area of the landfill that was not reserved for the disposal of animal remains.

https://www.drf.com/news/law-enforcemen ... s/all-news
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
MySaladDays

Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:26 am

Somnambulist wrote:

FInding a horse dumped in the wrong part of a landfill isn't the absolute worst thing, unless you combine it with multiple (and more than occassional) things that happen at places like Mountaineer, around the same time as the landfill problem like:

Sophie Got Even, who was purchased as a broodmare, made her 1st start since June 2014 in a $4K claiming event.

October 14 at Mountaineer, 9 year old mare Little Red Diamond made her fourth start of 2019. Prior to her first race of 2019 in August, she had not been seen at the races since October 22, 2014. Her record for 2019 is beaten 84 lengths in those 4 races.

On October 15, rescuers pulled two of Burton Sipp's horses out of a kill pen --- how many does that make for him? It's almost constant!

As bad as all these cretins are, just as bad are the apologists who blame everything on PETA and/or keep making excuses for how things are.

Because unless we speak out, the festering cretins who operate like this put all of us, fans and hardworking honest trainers at the tracks, and all those who make a living doing anything related to horse racing (photographers, grooms, figure makers, ticket tellers, track maintenance, etc.) all suffer greatly.

PETA didn't do the things listed above...........people do these things to horses, and they need to stop doing it.

Who is reporting these things? I have no problem with them being reported........in BOTh the racing media and regular media, and in blogs as well.

This isn't ancient civilization where you can just "buy" gladiators to do whatever you want them to do, and even suffer horrible fates for your entertainment. Horses are not disposable widgets, but are sentient feeling beings with an emotional / psychological life.
Ziggypop

Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:11 am

MySaladDays wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:26 am
Somnambulist wrote:

FInding a horse dumped in the wrong part of a landfill isn't the absolute worst thing, unless you combine it with multiple (and more than occassional) things that happen at places like Mountaineer, around the same time as the landfill problem like:

Sophie Got Even, who was purchased as a broodmare, made her 1st start since June 2014 in a $4K claiming event.

October 14 at Mountaineer, 9 year old mare Little Red Diamond made her fourth start of 2019. Prior to her first race of 2019 in August, she had not been seen at the races since October 22, 2014. Her record for 2019 is beaten 84 lengths in those 4 races.

On October 15, rescuers pulled two of Burton Sipp's horses out of a kill pen --- how many does that make for him? It's almost constant!

As bad as all these cretins are, just as bad are the apologists who blame everything on PETA and/or keep making excuses for how things are.

Because unless we speak out, the festering cretins who operate like this put all of us, fans and hardworking honest trainers at the tracks, and all those who make a living doing anything related to horse racing (photographers, grooms, figure makers, ticket tellers, track maintenance, etc.) all suffer greatly.

PETA didn't do the things listed above...........people do these things to horses, and they need to stop doing it.

Who is reporting these things? I have no problem with them being reported........in BOTh the racing media and regular media, and in blogs as well.

This isn't ancient civilization where you can just "buy" gladiators to do whatever you want them to do, and even suffer horrible fates for your entertainment. Horses are not disposable widgets, but are sentient feeling beings with an emotional / psychological life.
. Well said. Thank you.