Maryland Racing Commission - A Good Blueprint...

WarBiscuit

Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:20 pm

The establishment of the new House Rules appear to be a very good step in the proper direction. Is this a microcosm of what is needed nationally - every state and track falling under the same rules and regulations - under one governing body, and continuously tweaking and strengthening those rules? Good ideas and rules consolidated under one roof that apply to everyone and promote accountability. I have a fear that racing as we know it is just one nationally televised breakdown away from starting a major fire. There are smoldering embers here and there at the moment - with the media - and the dreadful social media - standing by with their cans of gas. I don't want to see the sport try to pull itself together out of sheer desperation after some calamity. It needs to be strong going forward and facing those possibilities, and I'm awful skeptical of that ability in 2019. I'm always a bit on edge until every horse crosses the finish line safely, but lately, I'm as concerned about the vultures circling above just waiting to drive another nail. It's easy to drift away from necessary conversations and just cross your fingers that it will all work out. And it did work out for a hundred years, but times have changed, and people are nastier when it comes to vehemence - completely unarmed with facts.

How would you begin to protect and promote this sport in the coming years? It's an old sport with a tremendously strong foundation, but some of the upper floors need repair - and fast. Where would you begin? All ideas welcome...

www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/article ... ouse-rules

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
Sparrow Castle

Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:07 pm

Very happy to see this. I'm encouraged that this is something that might actually work and spread to other areas. It's certainly better than the federal Horseracing Integrity Act of 2019 that is controversial but slowly gaining a bit more support, and better than the painfully slow process of state racing commissions' adopting the model rules of National Uniform Medication Program (NUMP), and better than race track owners setting their own arbitrary rules. I brought this up in the "Tragedy hits Santa Anita again" thread.

I still think changing the claiming game so owners don't have to risk losing their horses in order to run them competitively will solve a good number of problems with horse health and safety over their life spans. I will always consider this a cruel practice as long as all trainers are not equally competent, ethical, and caring about horse health and welfare.

We have programs to attract new owners. The strategies are tailored differently to the higher levels versus the lower levels of racing. Racing clubs make it affordable for many to own a piece of a racehorse, and getting close to the horses will always be a big draw. But what those horse lovers experience at the claiming levels can be pretty awful when their horses change barns. It can end up counterproductive. IMHO, it comes down to clean up the game, then marketing it will be easier.
WarBiscuit

Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:43 pm

An example of what I like to call "galloping inertia"...

www.paulickreport.com/news/the-biz/hold ... d-reforms/

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
Vandalay

Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:03 am

And the trainers that are fighting this are known cheaters, one of whom trained for Michael Gill, which should tell you all you need to know.
Kurenai
Site Admin

Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:42 pm

I read what the trainers had to say about these rules. You would think that horses will bleed all over the place, just because they moved the use of Lasix an hour back. :roll: I was wondering how those guys would train in Europe :lol: My best guess is the restriction of lasix is in place because it might mask other substances, otherwise that wouldn't make sense, because the sooner a horse can hydrate again, the better.

I'm all for getting rid of Bute alltogether, the push back is a good first step, if a horse has problems it will be more obvious and easier to spot by a vet.

I do get that they want additional rules to check the track though. Trainers should be able to voice their concern if the track suddenly plays 2 seconds faster than usual and the track should react accordingly. However, protesting against any new regulations and only blaming the track... yeah :roll:

Bad that Maryland folded under the pressure of trainers, hope that the whining doesn't result in throwing those new changes out of the window. If it does we all know who runs the game :roll:
stark

Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:07 pm

Kurenai wrote:
If it does we all know who runs the game :roll:
Great question......who should run the game?

Track owners
Breeders Association
Owners
Trainers
Vet Association
Gamblers (with their wallets and the www)
Committee
State Government
Federal Government
All the above
Other
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Catalina

Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:20 pm

Kurenai wrote:
I read what the trainers had to say about these rules. You would think that horses will bleed all over the place, just because they moved the use of Lasix an hour back. :roll: I was wondering how those guys would train in Europe :lol: My best guess is the restriction of lasix is in place because it might mask other substances, otherwise that wouldn't make sense, because the sooner a horse can hydrate again, the better.

I'm all for getting rid of Bute alltogether, the push back is a good first step, if a horse has problems it will be more obvious and easier to spot by a vet.

I do get that they want additional rules to check the track though. Trainers should be able to voice their concern if the track suddenly plays 2 seconds faster than usual and the track should react accordingly. However, protesting against any new regulations and only blaming the track... yeah :roll:

Bad that Maryland folded under the pressure of trainers, hope that the whining doesn't result in throwing those new changes out of the window. If it does we all know who runs the game :roll:
So what do you suggest? Mandatory re-education classes about why it is unsafe for the horses to run on Bute, and why continued "avoidable" horse fatalities are likely to make horse racing totally go away? Maybe with HEFTY fines for the very next Bute (or similar) violation, and an even steeper fine along with loss of license for the second violation???
Kurenai
Site Admin

Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:15 am

@Stark: ideally the horses :lol:

@Catalina: the trainers know very well about Bute and what it does and why they use it, they don't need a re-education. ;)

I'm not suggesting anything, because I don't know about the politics behind it. I get the trainers, they want the track to take some responsibility too with the management (not make the course 2 seconds faster and then blame trainers if a horse is injured). I hope they listen to their input and put some rules in place for that scenario too.

I could only suggest a blueprint in an ideal world with unicorns and rainbows and that will never happen, because the sport's already struggling to survive and everyone clings to the slightest advantage they can get over their competition (no matter if trainers, tracks, breeders etc).
Catalina

Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:09 pm

Kurenai wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:15 am

@Catalina: the trainers know very well about Bute and what it does and why they use it, they don't need a re-education. ;)
My comment was regards the trainer who reportedly complained how could he keep running his lame horses if he couldn't use Bute.

Re-education seems indicated at least in his case.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:33 pm

"...the trainer who reportedly complained how could he keep running his lame horses if he couldn't use Bute."

If he really said that, that a-hole needs Communist Chinese labor camp-level mental 'reeducation.' :oops:
Catalina

Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:24 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:33 pm
"...the trainer who reportedly complained how could he keep running his lame horses if he couldn't use Bute."

If he really said that, that a-hole needs Communist Chinese labor camp-level mental 'reeducation.' :oops:
I see your mind did an instant leap towards reeducation as well.
Vandalay

Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:56 pm

Many of the trainers I've encountered in MD aren't exactly Rhode scholars..