2019 BC Classic

stark
Posts: 5551
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:52 pm

1. Math Wizard, Saffie Joseph Jr., Ruben Santana, Jr., 30-1
2. Seeking the Soul, Dallas Stewart, Brian Hernandez, Jr., 20-1
3. Owendale, Brad Cox, Javier Castellano, 15-1
4. War of Will, Mark Casse, Tyler Gaffalione, 20-1
5. Yoshida (JPN), Bill Mott, Mike Smith, 8-1
6. Elate, Bill Mott, Jose Ortiz, 6-1
7. Higher Power, John Sadler, Flavien Prat
8. McKinzie, Bob Baffert, Joel Rosario, 3-1
9. Mongolian Groom, Enebish Ganbat, Abel Cedillo, 12-1
10. Vino Rosso, Todd Pletcher, Irad Ortiz, Jr., 4-1
11. Code of Honor, Shug McGaughey, John Velazquez, 4-1
Last edited by stark on Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Tessablue
Posts: 4017
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:05 pm

Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:02 pm

Should we be talking about blinkers-on War of Will? There's a non-zero chance he runs off, right? Feels impossible to project the pace in here with any confidence.
Somnambulist

Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:25 pm

Tessablue wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:02 pm
Should we be talking about blinkers-on War of Will? There's a non-zero chance he runs off, right? Feels impossible to project the pace in here with any confidence.
I'm surprised they're making such a change before a big race. I don't think he'd run off because he's pretty seasoned at this point. Maybe it's the missing ingredient to him. The price makes the unknown aspect kind of fun I guess.
User avatar
Charlie
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:34 pm

Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:53 pm

It's funny that horse with the War of Will's potential talent is at 20-1 but the horse is so on/off I can see why.

He's been training in them for a little while I believe. Maybe they are what he needs, guess we'll find out.
stark
Posts: 5551
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:03 pm

Handicapping insights courtesy of Andy Serling, NYRA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM0M0n6 ... e=youtu.be
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
TapitsGal
Posts: 1039
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:03 pm

Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:47 pm

Repole claims vino Rosso is the horse to beat..I'd argue Elate or McKinzie or code of Honor is more deserving of that title
User avatar
Curtis
Posts: 1411
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 am
Location: Monroe, WA
Contact:

Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:59 pm

TapitsGal wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:47 pm
Repole claims vino Rosso is the horse to beat..I'd argue Elate or McKinzie or code of Honor is more deserving of that title
I’d agree with Repole. His horse has won over the track at the same distance—a distance that looks to be right in his wheelhouse. I don’t think Elate is fast enough but she’ll still be going forward at the end. The other two you mentioned should hit the board but at the price they’ll be I let them beat me if they can. If he stays near his ML, I’d take a shot on War of Will. As long as Diane Feinstein stays happy though, so will I.
TapitsGal
Posts: 1039
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:03 pm

Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:14 pm

I'm sick over Mongolian groom and hope he will be ok but I know it doesn't look good
User avatar
Squeaky
Posts: 928
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:29 pm

Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:36 pm

Hoping and praying MG can be saved but looked very bad- reminded me of Barbaro 😢.
User avatar
Squeaky
Posts: 928
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:29 pm

Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:38 pm

Wish Vino would race on one more year- just coming into his own. With all of those big money races next year he could have a Gun Runner- type campaign and go for HOY. Curlins improve with age- sad we will not get to see this with Vino.
TapitsGal
Posts: 1039
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:03 pm

Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:40 pm

Re: Mongolian groom...I've heard he broke a cannon bone and I saw someone post his picture on Facebook with the caption RIP..I've heard no official word though so I'm not sure how accurate the report is
User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:26 pm

Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:59 pm

Mongolian Groom's leg looked like it darn near came off. Multiple fractures. Even if surgery is successful, the recovery and almost inevitable laminitis will be brutal.
summerhorse
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:51 pm

Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:04 pm

"Mongolian Groom sustained an injury in the Breeders' Cup Classic today and was immediately attended to by an expert team of veterinarians, led by board certified veterinary surgeon Dr. Ryan Carpenter," read the statement. "During their evaluation at the equine hospital at Santa Anita, they observed a serious fracture to his left hind limb. Radiographs were taken and a complete evaluation was performed. Given the extent of the injury, Dr. Carpenter, in consultation with Dr. Wayne McIlwraith, veterinary surgeon and professor emeritus at Colorado State University, Dr. Rick Arthur, Equine Medical Director of the California Horse Racing Board, and attending veterinarian Dr. Vince Baker, recommended humane euthanasia of Mongolian Groom.

"The death of Mongolian Groom is a loss to the entire horse racing community. Our equine and human athletes' safety is the Breeders' Cup's top priority. We have worked closely with Santa Anita leading up to the World Championships to promote enhanced equine safety. Santa Anita has implemented numerous industry-leading reforms to enhance the existing health and safety measures with the intent of providing a safe racing environment. In addition, Breeders' Cup always observes the most thorough up-to-date medication practices and restrictions, testing protocols, equine security and surveillance program, veterinary exams, injury management protocols and racing surface testing. These measures are in place to ensure our athletes are racing under the safest and most transparent conditions possible.

"Breeders' Cup has engaged world-renowned veterinarian, Dr. Larry Bramlage, to conduct an independent evaluation, the results of which will be published when completed. We will continue to keep all stakeholders apprised as information becomes available. We are committed to working with our partners in the industry to continue to advance safety reforms, with the well-being of our athletes in mind. From https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... up-classic
sweettalk
Posts: 2155
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:05 pm

Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:06 am

Squeaky wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:38 pm
Wish Vino would race on one more year- just coming into his own. With all of those big money races next year he could have a Gun Runner- type campaign and go for HOY. Curlins improve with age- sad we will not get to see this with Vino.
Liam's Map retiring made me the angriest i'd ever been about a retirement in ages, and nothing has come close since, so i understand your frustration and i have punch, cookies, and a t-shirt for you. welcome to the club.
barbaro111
Posts: 598
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:43 pm

Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:17 am

sweettalk wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:06 am
Squeaky wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:38 pm
Wish Vino would race on one more year- just coming into his own. With all of those big money races next year he could have a Gun Runner- type campaign and go for HOY. Curlins improve with age- sad we will not get to see this with Vino.
Liam's Map retiring made me the angriest i'd ever been about a retirement in ages, and nothing has come close since, so i understand your frustration and i have punch, cookies, and a t-shirt for you. welcome to the club.
it is sickening
User avatar
Squeaky
Posts: 928
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:29 pm

Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:32 am

Deleted post
Last edited by Squeaky on Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Ridan_Remembered
Posts: 1618
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:15 pm

Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:57 am

Squeaky wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:32 am
summerhorse wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:04 pm
"Mongolian Groom sustained an injury in the Breeders' Cup Classic today and was immediately attended to by an expert team of veterinarians, led by board certified veterinary surgeon Dr. Ryan Carpenter," read the statement. "During their evaluation at the equine hospital at Santa Anita, they observed a serious fracture to his left hind limb. Radiographs were taken and a complete evaluation was performed. Given the extent of the injury, Dr. Carpenter, in consultation with Dr. Wayne McIlwraith, veterinary surgeon and professor emeritus at Colorado State University, Dr. Rick Arthur, Equine Medical Director of the California Horse Racing Board, and attending veterinarian Dr. Vince Baker, recommended humane euthanasia of Mongolian Groom.

"The death of Mongolian Groom is a loss to the entire horse racing community. Our equine and human athletes' safety is the Breeders' Cup's top priority. We have worked closely with Santa Anita leading up to the World Championships to promote enhanced equine safety. Santa Anita has implemented numerous industry-leading reforms to enhance the existing health and safety measures with the intent of providing a safe racing environment. In addition, Breeders' Cup always observes the most thorough up-to-date medication practices and restrictions, testing protocols, equine security and surveillance program, veterinary exams, injury management protocols and racing surface testing. These measures are in place to ensure our athletes are racing under the safest and most transparent conditions possible.

"Breeders' Cup has engaged world-renowned veterinarian, Dr. Larry Bramlage, to conduct an independent evaluation, the results of which will be published when completed. We will continue to keep all stakeholders apprised as information becomes available. We are committed to working with our partners in the industry to continue to advance safety reforms, with the well-being of our athletes in mind. From https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... up-classic
Wish they would have consulted Dr Bramlage as well before sealing his fate.
Before sealing his fate? The horse fractured the lower part of his cannon bone and bones in his ankle and pastern. Essentially the entire lower part of his leg had multiple fractures. Even in human medicine, it would be questionable if doctors could save a person's lower leg with comparable fractures. There just is no way to do so for a horse. Euthanasia was the only humane thing to do.

I could speak to all the other things involved, but it's all been regurgitated over and over and over again. Drugs; steroids; stuff done to yearlings to prime them for sales; excessive inbreeding; breeding only for the sales fashion of the day; lack of a central authority to govern the sport/industry...on and on and on and on it goes mindlessly like a nightmarish merry-go-round. In the end, it's all about the Benjamins and nothing else. Or so it seems.
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 4206
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:00 am

Just goes to show you can never truly tell who will develop into a big runner and who won't. Vino Rosso's has-had a lot of fans (mostly due to dad) but I'm not sure anyone really expected him to win the Classic one day.

Well, before his JCGC run at least. Matt Shiffman must feel vindicated.

Also I felt like a real idiot yesterday evening when they mentioned his name translates to "red wine" and I hadn't realized that before then. Rrrrrrrrrrosso. Love it.
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞
WaquoitNBroadBrush
Posts: 1193
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:22 am

Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:02 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:57 am

Drugs; steroids; stuff done to yearlings to prime them for sales; excessive inbreeding; breeding only for the sales fashion of the day
Did any of these apply to Mongolian Groom, a homebred by (relatively speaking) nothing out of nothing?
User avatar
Squeaky
Posts: 928
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:29 pm

Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:33 pm

Mylute wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:00 am
Just goes to show you can never truly tell who will develop into a big runner and who won't. Vino Rosso's has-had a lot of fans (mostly due to dad) but I'm not sure anyone really expected him to win the Classic one day.

Well, before his JCGC run at least. Matt Shiffman must feel vindicated.

Also I felt like a real idiot yesterday evening when they mentioned his name translates to "red wine" and I hadn't realized that before then. Rrrrrrrrrrosso. Love it.
Steve Haskin has been high on him since last year and picked him to win in his most recent column.
Post Reply