firehorse

Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:24 pm

carole wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:55 pm
firehorse wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:37 am
Mylute wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:52 pm
McGuaghey throws shade at Maximum Security.
https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/ ... e_time_123

Quick question- who exactly votes for the Eclipse and how do you get a vote? Cause if "those guys in West Texas or something" really don't know who they're talking about (I think I know what he means by that, don't actually follow racing jut know names), why do they get to vote?
Well I wasn't expecting that from McGaughey, but I wouldn't have expected Bill Mott to tell his jockey to claim a foul in the Derby either :|
Not very classy from McGaughey. As for Mott, I don't think you can blame him for claiming foul, any trainer would have done that really. There's a difference between claiming foul in a race with obvious interference where the winner (which your horse was runner up to) was the one to cause it, and shunning a horse and it's connections because you have a horse up against it for an award. McGaughey could have just not commented on it at all or only talked about his horse, in a way talking smack about his opposition makes it seem like his horse doesn't really deserve it so he has to bring the competition down. But that's just my opinion and frankly I'm not a voter or at all a part of the industry other than being a fan so perhaps this is perfectly normal.

And by the way firehorse, just want to clarify that I'm in no way coming at you, just wanted to share my opinion and I definitely agree with your post.
I think we disagree about Mott - a jockey knows when he's been interfered with and when he's just hoping - the jockey wasn't even 'hoping', he claimed foul because the trainer told him to. I don't recall seeing trainers instructing jockeys to claim foul when it wasn't their horse interfered with with any regularity, let alone in the Kentucky Derby.
Starine

Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:28 pm

I was really surprised to read those words from Shug. Usually he is much more reserved or at least I thought so. I'm not really sure with this coupled with him lighting up the people at Santa Anita for the condition of the track during the Breeders' Cup.

A Derby winner disqualified. 37 fatalities at Santa Anita. And now the [formerly] gentlemanly Shug throwing shade? :shock:
thinair

Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:37 pm

Wait, people here are saying Mott shouldn't have told his rider ( I didn't know he did but will assume posters here are correct ) to claim foul against Maximum Secutrity, who was eventually disqualified? Seriously? The horse interfered with multiple horses. Are you suggesting if the Stewards don't do their jobs and post inquiries, that others don't have a right to exercise their rights and claim foul? Has the world gone completely mad?
Flanders

Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:40 am

I would imagine that the interviewer led McGaughey to make comments he wouldn't normally make. Specifically asking questions hoping to get comments that would make the interview more interesting. Its what reporters do. If McGaughey only said, "My horse should win", no one would read the article.
thinair

Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:59 am

Shug is the most accessible person in the game. He's also earned a lifetime of respect. If he wants to go off, that's his prerogative. I like that he's passionate about it. He's defending his horse. Good for him.
hadrianmarcus

Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:33 am

firehorse wrote:

I think we disagree about Mott - a jockey knows when he's been interfered with and when he's just hoping - the jockey wasn't even 'hoping', he claimed foul because the trainer told him to. I don't recall seeing trainers instructing jockeys to claim foul when it wasn't their horse interfered with with any regularity, let alone in the Kentucky Derby.

Let alone the Kentucky Derby? How are the rules or expectations different for the Derby than a 10K claimer at Los Alamitos? In fact, I'd argue the application of the standards of clean and safe racing to be applied more stringently for horse racing's showcase and a 20 horse field....not less so....
Last edited by hadrianmarcus on Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Izvestia

Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:26 pm

Shug has a point...
MR-W

Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:58 pm

McGaughey believes some voters lack credentials to be part of the process. “Some of these guys who have a vote in West Texas or something, he wouldn’t know Code of Honor from my dog,” he said.

I've always liked Shug, but this is just an ignorant remark here. There are voters who lack credentials coming from ALL parts of the country. Whether it be due to lack of horse racing expertise or just plain bias. It doesn't matter what part of the country a voter is from. The access to following horse racing is so easy to do. Shug can say the connections of MS "chickened out" all he wants. They just chose a different and successful path and appear to have their horse ready for some ambitious racing this year and most likely an Eclipse award to wrap up 2019.
Kurenai
Site Admin

Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:01 pm

Have to say I too think that Shug has a point. And I don't see it as throwing shade at Maximum Security, he's just speaking honestly IMO.
Mylute

Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:55 pm

MR-W wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:58 pm
McGaughey believes some voters lack credentials to be part of the process. “Some of these guys who have a vote in West Texas or something, he wouldn’t know Code of Honor from my dog,” he said.

I've always liked Shug, but this is just an ignorant remark here. There are voters who lack credentials coming from ALL parts of the country. Whether it be due to lack of horse racing expertise or just plain bias. It doesn't matter what part of the country a voter is from. The access to following horse racing is so easy to do. Shug can say the connections of MS "chickened out" all he wants. They just chose a different and successful path and appear to have their horse ready for some ambitious racing this year and most likely an Eclipse award to wrap up 2019.
Not to be that guy but I assumed that he just chose West Texas as an example, as opposed to a more eloquent "all over the country"; he wasn't specifically @'ing West Texans as the only ignorant voters.
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞
stark

Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:02 pm

West Texas was probably more accurate than say...BFE which wouldn't have made as much sense to some.
If he would have said San Francisco he just might've been spot on!

Shug turns 69 in a couple of days, won't be long before he's yelling get off my lawn!
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
firehorse

Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:11 pm

hadrianmarcus wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:33 am
firehorse wrote:
Let alone the Kentucky Derby? How are the rules or expectations different for the Derby than a 10K claimer at Los Alamitos? In fact, I'd argue the application of the standards of clean and safe racing to be applied more stringently for horse racing's showcase and a 20 horse field....not less so....
So trainers should begin having their jockeys claim foul whenever they think they see interference in a race regardless of whether their horse was involved or just in the Kentucky Derby when it will move their horse up to winner?
stark

Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:21 pm

TapitsGal

Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:40 pm

https://lm.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3 ... DmGFJ5&s=1
Your three horse of the year nominees are: bricks and mortar, mitole and maximum security
In my opinion maximum security getting horse of the year is a stretch. I think bricks and Mortar gets the nod. But it's a crime to leave out midnight bisou and vino Rosso from horse of the year voting...I'm very underwhelmed by all of the horse of the year nominees..I feel the only deserving nominee is bricks
Mylute

Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:45 pm

Maixmum Security replaces Midnight Bisou as the third projected HOTY nominee.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... and-mortar

Juvy Male: Storm the Court, Structor, Maxfield
Juvy Female: Bast, British Idiom, Sharing

Sophomore Male: Maximum Security, Omaha Beach, Code of Honor
Sophomore Female: Covfefe, Serengeti Empress, Guarana

Sprinter Male: Imperial Hint, World of Trouble, Mitole
Sprinter Female: Covfefe: Belvoir Bay, Come Dancing, Covfefe

Older Dirt Male: Vino Rosso, Mitole, McKinzie
Older Dirt Female: Midnight Bisou, Elate, Blue Prize

Turf Male: Bricks and Mortar, Mo Forza, World of Trouble
Turf Female: Uni, Got Stormy, Sistercharlie

Horse of the Year: Bricks and Mortar, Maximum Security, Mitole

Steeplechase Horse: Brain Power, Scorpiancer, Winston C
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
Mylute

Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:47 pm

People Awards.

Breeder: Calumet Farm (yay), Godolphin, George Strawbridge Jr.

Owner: Gary Barber, Peter Brant, Klaravich Stables, Inc. and William H. Lawrence

Trainer: Steve Asmussen, Chad Brown, Brad Cox

Jockey: Javier Castellano, Irad Ortiz, Jr., Jose Ortiz

Apprentice Jockey: Julio Correa, Angel Diaz, Kazushi Kimura
stark

Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:53 pm

Mylute wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:47 pm
People Awards.

Breeder: Calumet Farm (yay), Godolphin, George Strawbridge Jr.

Owner: Gary Barber, Peter Brant, Klaravich Stables, Inc. and William H. Lawrence

Trainer: Steve Asmussen, Chad Brown, Brad Cox

Jockey: Javier Castellano, Irad Ortiz, Jr., Jose Ortiz

Apprentice Jockey: Julio Correa, Angel Diaz, Kazushi Kimura
They left off a jockey or two!!!
thinair

Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:54 pm

TapitsGal wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:40 pm
https://lm.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3 ... DmGFJ5&s=1
Your three horse of the year nominees are: bricks and mortar, mitole and maximum security
In my opinion maximum security getting horse of the year is a stretch. I think bricks and Mortar gets the nod. But it's a crime to leave out midnight bisou and vino Rosso from horse of the year voting...I'm very underwhelmed by all of the horse of the year nominees..I feel the only deserving nominee is bricks
How is Mitole not deserving? He was 8 for 9 ( with his only loss when buried on a dead rail at Saratoga ) including four Grade 1 wins, among which were the Met Mile ( over McKinzie and Thunder Snow in arguably the race of the year ) and the BC Sprint. Bricks has no bigger fan than me, but Mitole has an equally strong case in my opinion.
CoronadosQuest

Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:35 pm

Im extremely disappointed that Midnight Bisou got left off. Her season was fantastic! How many others have 4 G1 wins, 1 G2, and 2 G3 wins and 2nd in a G1 in 2019. I feel like getting 2nd in the Distaff was not a reason to toss her out of contention.
Mylute

Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:39 pm

Yeah I'm not Midnight Bisou's biggest fan (I don't dislike her of course she's just not one of my favorites) but I'm not really sure how I feel about her not getting a HOTY nomination. After the BC she was always one of the ones mentioned for it.

But Cigar Mile win and 3 year old Classic male bias, I guess.