The Cigar Mile

stark
Posts: 5626
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:38 pm

12/7/19

Maximum Security
Spun 2 Run

Others?
Pletcher
Brown

Will Baffert be sending Roadster?

Should Mandella send Omaha Beach?

What say you?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
User avatar
Raven
Posts: 1442
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:56 pm

Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:14 pm

I like to see Omaha Beach in here. He looks like the type that would like Aqueduct's one turn mile!
You will soon break the bow if you keep it always stretched ~Faedus~
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 4338
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:05 pm

HRN is generally accurate with their listings of probables for each race. They currently have:

Network Effect
Lookin At Bikinis
True Timber
Prince Lucky
Roadster
Bal Harbour

Along with Max and S2R.
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞
User avatar
Starine
Posts: 4995
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:08 pm

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that Mandella preferred the Malibu at home to the Cigar Mile.
User avatar
Raven
Posts: 1442
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:56 pm

Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:13 pm

I think the Cigar is the right spot for O B
You will soon break the bow if you keep it always stretched ~Faedus~
User avatar
Starine
Posts: 4995
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:17 pm

Raven wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:13 pm
I think the Cigar is the right spot for O B
Maybe you can tweet that at Mandella and he'll change his mind. ;)

Malibu looks like next stop for Omaha Beach
https://www.drf.com/news/malibu-looks-n ... anta-anita
User avatar
Raven
Posts: 1442
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:56 pm

Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:00 pm

I wished that he had send him to NY
You will soon break the bow if you keep it always stretched ~Faedus~
User avatar
Kurenai
Site Admin
Posts: 1134
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:01 pm

Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:31 am

Awwww, I was hoping for a Omaha Beach and Maximum Security showdown. :cry:
stark
Posts: 5626
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:18 pm

Kurenai wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:31 am
Awwww, I was hoping for a Omaha Beach and Maximum Security showdown. :cry:
Somebody needs to show Mandella a copy of the Farmers Almanac that is predicting cloudy skies with a chance of showers at Santa Anita Christmas week.
That should be enough for the authorities to cancel racing.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
MySaladDays
Posts: 1063
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:16 am

Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:37 pm

So basically, all the horses who posed any real threat to Max Security have either already raced or aren't racing in this.
User avatar
Curtis
Posts: 1411
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 am
Location: Monroe, WA
Contact:

Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:14 pm

stark wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:18 pm
Kurenai wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:31 am
Awwww, I was hoping for a Omaha Beach and Maximum Security showdown. :cry:
Somebody needs to show Mandella a copy of the Farmers Almanac that is predicting cloudy skies with a chance of showers at Santa Anita Christmas week.
That should be enough for the authorities to cancel racing.
Hearing some of the horseman talk over the weekend, the Santa Anita main track is so deep they’re starting to call it Big Sandy West. Unless you see Noah and his Ark coming down Huntington Drive, that track shouldn’t be compromised. If there were more horses on the grounds, Del Mar would run Thursday, rain or shine. Rumor has it Wednesday’s will be gone next summer and Thursdays next fall, where the turf meets the surf.
User avatar
Squeaky
Posts: 934
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:29 pm

Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:54 pm

So few good match ups anymore. Everyone so concerned about protecting a horse’s record for breeding that they race them where it’s easiest.
stark
Posts: 5626
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:29 pm

Curtis, forgetting about the horse shortage for a minute, there's gonna be a jockey and trainer shortage too, real soon.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
User avatar
Curtis
Posts: 1411
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 am
Location: Monroe, WA
Contact:

Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:08 pm

stark wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:29 pm
Curtis, forgetting about the horse shortage for a minute, there's gonna be a jockey and trainer shortage too, real soon.
The horse shortage is related, to an extent, to the trainers—owners too but pardon the pun, trainers are going to seek places that are more stable. The jock thing is weird to me. On Saturday, Drayden Van Dyke had one mount—for Baffert in the stake, which he won. Now I thought well, maybe he was suspended and I missed it. He had several mounts on Sunday though, mostly just the races on turf. Is he not one of, at worst, the top three jocks there? Where did Martin Pedroza go? I saw Richie around, I guess I should have asked. Wasn’t Meaux’ Money riding a lot for Hess Jr. earlier this year? Between him and Keith D. you’d think he’d have enough business to stick it out.
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 3452
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:48 pm

Curtis wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:14 pm
stark wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:18 pm
Kurenai wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:31 am
Awwww, I was hoping for a Omaha Beach and Maximum Security showdown. :cry:
Somebody needs to show Mandella a copy of the Farmers Almanac that is predicting cloudy skies with a chance of showers at Santa Anita Christmas week.
That should be enough for the authorities to cancel racing.
Hearing some of the horseman talk over the weekend, the Santa Anita main track is so deep they’re starting to call it Big Sandy West. Unless you see Noah and his Ark coming down Huntington Drive, that track shouldn’t be compromised. If there were more horses on the grounds, Del Mar would run Thursday, rain or shine. Rumor has it Wednesday’s will be gone next summer and Thursdays next fall, where the turf meets the surf.
Baffert said in that one article that Santa Anita just keeps dumping sand into the track, which is making the track deep, slow and so course its removing all the wording on racing plates in just a few weeks.
User avatar
Charlie
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:34 pm

Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:50 pm

Kurenai wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:31 am
Awwww, I was hoping for a Omaha Beach and Maximum Security showdown. :cry:
Same. I mean I get not wanting to ship across country but come on! lol
carole
Posts: 2639
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:57 pm

Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:19 pm

I thought Spun to Run was aiming for this too?
User avatar
Curtis
Posts: 1411
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 am
Location: Monroe, WA
Contact:

Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:25 pm

carole wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:19 pm
I thought Spun to Run was aiming for this too?
He’s listed above in the probables by his Hip hop name S2R.😉
carole
Posts: 2639
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:57 pm

Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:59 pm

Curtis wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:25 pm
carole wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:19 pm
I thought Spun to Run was aiming for this too?
He’s listed above in the probables by his Hip hop name S2R.😉
Ah ok! I’m just surprised people are saying Maximum Security is the only good horse here. Spun to Run won the BC and beat Omaha Beach, he’s very good competition for Maximum Securtiy.
Last edited by carole on Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 4338
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:23 pm

All of the horses that I listed above as probables are either GSWs, MGSP, SW, or SP.

No, they aren't MG1W or world beaters but I wouldn't say they aren't good (or I at least wouldn't say that about Prince Lucky).
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞
Post Reply