Stormy Liberal gets trainer switch

TapitsGal

Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:27 pm

Statement from Peter Miller:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Peter Miller Statement: "I am sorry to announce that Stormy Liberal will be leaving our barn to continue racing under another trainer. Both my veterinarian and I believe the horse should be retired. In fact, we had already started inquiring for him to retire to Old Friends so he could live out his days in comfort and good care, and allow visitors to enjoy him up close.

It is very rare to claim a horse for 40k, win two Breeders’ Cup Races and earn the prestigious Eclipse Award. It is my professional opinion that he has given and accomplished enough. While the owners certainly have every right to make these choices, and I respect that, I would like the record to show that I was not in favor of this decision.

Stormy has been very special to our team, and to me. We will miss him and hope for the best." #FreeStormy
#StormyLiberal
Eclipse Sportswire/Breeders' Cup photo 2018

When the trainer and veterinarian thinks a horse should be retired but the owner isn't on board that's a HUGE problem...I'm hoping they aren't trying to squeeze all the drops they can out of Stormy Liberal. He's certainly more than earned retirement...I truly hope they don't race this horse into the ground
mariasmon

Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:31 pm

Sometimes calling people out publicly is the only way to get them to do the right thing. Peter Miller will almost certainly no longer be training for Rockingham Ranch, but hopefully Stormy Liberal will be retired. They claimed him for $40K, he won 2 BC races and $2,000,000, took them to Hong Kong and Dubai (twice) and he no longer seems to be competitive at a high level. Why risk it?
Curtis

Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:42 pm

mariasmon wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:31 pm
Sometimes calling people out publicly is the only way to get them to do the right thing. Peter Miller will almost certainly no longer be training for Rockingham Ranch, but hopefully Stormy Liberal will be retired. They claimed him for $40K, he won 2 BC races and $2,000,000, took them to Hong Kong and Dubai (twice) and he no longer seems to be competitive at a high level. Why risk it?
Yeah Miller didn’t just burn that bridge, he napalmed it. I’ve never been his biggest fan, but good for him. I wonder if a similar dance is being performed with Roy H? It reminds me of the STD (what were they thinking with that name?) stable and Doug O’Neil plotting strategy for Lava Man. Doug said in the end he just sucked it up and did what they wanted because he shuddered to think what might happen if Lava Man went to somebody else.
stark

Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:33 pm

It will be interesting to hear the other side of the story, there's always at least two, sometimes three.

I'll wait a day or two before forming an opinion.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
mariasmon

Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:35 pm

Rockingham Ranch weighs in on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/RockinghamRanch/sta ... 73317?s=20
Curtis

Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:44 pm

stark wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:33 pm
It will be interesting to hear the other side of the story, there's always at least two, sometimes three.

I'll wait a day or two before forming an opinion.
I’m fine with that but also realize the horse is about to turn 8 and if Miller and any vet he would employ think the horse needs to be retired, I would say that horse needs to be retired. I guess it could be Miller doing a PR thing but why now?
stark

Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:01 pm

Doesn't sound like the Miller/Rockingham marriage is heading for divorce court.
hadrianmarcus

Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:39 pm

It's not like Peter Miller is Mr. Compassion, so I trust that when he says a horse should be retired, they should be retired. Rockingham Ranch also put Richard's Boy up for claim despite earning them a million dollars, so I don't know why anyone would an additional million dollars of earnings would earn Stormy Liberal a soft landing either. I get that it's a business...but when horses take you to the Breeders Cup and Dubai, you owe them a little extra consideration. The Sport of Kings...right.
bare it all

Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:48 pm

Not that it absolves them, but Rockingham was bought out of their share by the other owner - Bernsen. The single owner is the one moving the horse to FL and a new trainer.
stark

Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:22 pm

bare it all wrote:
Not that it absolves them, but Rockingham was bought out of their share by the other owner - Bernsen. The single owner is the one moving the horse to FL and a new trainer.
Why shouldn't it absolve them?
bare it all

Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:31 pm

stark wrote:
bare it all wrote:
I should have added completely ... I do not know the details of the transaction or the agreement between the partners, but I have to think RR could have tried to buy out instead of be bought out if they were so concerned about the horse's future. They took the money for their shares and then publicly say "they don't agree" with the buying partner....? Seems weird they didn't try to do the opposite to offer him a retirement.
Curtis

Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:32 pm

stark wrote:
bare it all wrote:
I dunno, maybe wait a couple of days for the facts.😉
DawnStorm

Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:46 pm

stark wrote:
Guess they won't be exchanging Christmas cards this year. :lol:
What is a mere individual to do? Live as sane and decent a life as you can, love your family and friends and understand that everybody is in this together.
--Ron Smith aka The Voice of Reason
Curtis

Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:00 pm

DawnStorm wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:46 pm
stark wrote:
Guess they won't be exchanging Christmas cards this year. :lol:
To be fair it’s not Rockingham with whom Miller is having the disagreement, it’s the other partner. The bar’s not set very high here no matter where you look, though.
stark

Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:09 pm

Curtis wrote:
stark wrote:
bare it all wrote:
Pretty sure Rockingham is dead by now.
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the- ... r-trainer/

At the very least tarred and feathered.
Stripped of his license.
Barred from all racetracks across America.

errr, at least according to the comments on who needs facts Paulick.
hadrianmarcus

Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:45 pm

stark wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:09 pm
Curtis wrote:
stark wrote:

Pretty sure Rockingham is dead by now.
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the- ... r-trainer/

At the very least tarred and feathered.
Stripped of his license.
Barred from all racetracks across America.

errr, at least according to the comments on who needs facts Paulick.
This isn't 1985 anymore. Social media (and most of what passes for sports journalism) isn't about facts. It's about generating views and revenue.
Social media has changed sports forever. Horse racing can be pragmatic or remain in 1985 and position themselves to be on the
wrong side of every public relations battle. Every comment attributed to Hartunian is the growling of a clueless toxic dinosaur.
And even when he is correct, Hartunian is oblivious to the consequences of a sport remaining static and out of step with society.

Peter Miller's actions are pretty dramatic. Nothing good can come from Stormy Liberal continuing to race. But oh so much can go wrong.
Let the almost 8-year-old multi-millionare eat grass at Old Friends.
Curtis

Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:38 pm

hadrianmarcus wrote:
As long as he stays there and isn’t loaned out to a volunteer, I’m down with it.
MySaladDays

Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:22 pm

hadrianmarcus wrote:
Nothing good can come from Stormy Liberal continuing to race. But oh so much can go wrong.
Agree. What could possibly go wrong with a horse who will be 8 in January, and has been on the track for 6 years?

This is why we need retirement plans w/funding for racehorses.

Instead, while everyone makes money, the rescue orgs who operate on donations are left to pick up the pieces and foot these bills.
Curtis

Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:30 pm

MySaladDays wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:22 pm
hadrianmarcus wrote:
Nothing good can come from Stormy Liberal continuing to race. But oh so much can go wrong.
Agree. What could possibly go wrong with a horse who will be 8 in January, and has been on the track for 6 years?

This is why we need retirement plans w/funding for racehorses.

Instead, while everyone makes money, the rescue orgs who operate on donations are left to pick up the pieces and foot these bills.
I’m not sure it’s lack of funding for rescue organization that’s the problem. It’s the lack of wanting to use the rescue organization.
Mylute

Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:43 pm

Lots of big thinks going on.

I also don't think it's the lack of "rescue" organizations or rescue money (I don't like that word because Stormy Liberal does not need rescued, he's not in a kill lot or was left abandoned on a property).

Not that I dislike Old Friends as much as some do, because I don't, but there's now several different options for retirement and second careers out there. He's still relatively young, so he could be retrained through New Vocations, Maker's Mark, etc. He'd make a really good advocate for OTTBs, being a "well-known" globetrotting Eclipse and BC winner. Depending on his temperament he could also be a pony for Miller.

This could be a tin foil hat, but maybe they were looking at Old Friends because they didn't think he could handle a second competitive career for the same reasons they don't want him racing?
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞