Aqueduct turf racing leads to bigger handle

Kurenai
Site Admin

Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:20 am

https://www.drf.com/news/aqueduct-fall- ... field-size

Stumbled across this. Was that the exception to the rule, because of the weather, or are they generally carding more turf races? I get it though, turf racing with bigger fields equals more betting.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:37 am

Kurenai wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:20 am
https://www.drf.com/news/aqueduct-fall- ... field-size

Stumbled across this. Was that the exception to the rule, because of the weather, or are they generally carding more turf races? I get it though, turf racing with bigger fields equals more betting.
The weather was the key. It's not that there weren't many rainy days this fall. There were a normal number, but a lot of them came on days when the track had no live racing scheduled. Adding up the numbers in the story, 86 turf races were carded this year, 82 in 2018 -- but this year also had three more racing days, so, on a per-day basis, a tiny fraction fewer turf races were scheduled this year, but the difference is statistically insignificant.
Kurenai
Site Admin

Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:43 am

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:
The weather was the key. It's not that there weren't many rainy days this fall. There were a normal number, but a lot of them came on days when the track had no live racing scheduled. Adding up the numbers in the story, 86 turf races were carded this year, 82 in 2018 -- but this year also had three more racing days, so, on a per-day basis, a tiny fraction fewer turf races were scheduled this year, but the difference is statistically insignificant.
Thanks for the explanation! I was wondering if the weather played part in that!
thinair

Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:31 am

Kurenai wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:43 am
WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:
Thanks for the explanation! I was wondering if the weather played part in that!
Weather always plays a part. A big one. The weather was dreadful last year in November. It totally crushed Aqueduct.