Favorite Horses of the Decade (2009/10 - 2019/20)

Mylute

Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:31 pm

Let's have this discussion since we're about to hit the 2020s. I started following in 2012 so I've been here for most of the decade. Who were/are some of your favorites and why?
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞
WarBiscuit

Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:34 pm

Good topic. As an admirer of the older hard knockers, some of my very favorites to watch were Awesome Gem, Jeranimo, Jackson Bend, and Musketier. And, of course, the come-from-behind master, Calidoscopio. And, Ben's Cat.

Now that you've brought this up, names will be popping into my head all night long! Can't single out a favorite as there were dozens and dozens...

WarBiscuit
Last edited by WarBiscuit on Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
stark

Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:51 pm

American Pharoah

Ended the long drought becoming the 12th Triple Crown Winner.

Had younger fans on the edge of their seats who had never experienced the Triple Crown thrills.

Appears to be starting a memorable legacy in the breeding shed.

What's not to like?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:36 pm

The Big Mare, the Dancing Queen - Zenyatta (although her reign began in 2007 really).
Lots of reasons. Need some time to edit them for space. ;) :P
Northport

Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:05 pm

I only started really paying attention in 2011, but Sea the Stars (I know his all time great season was in 2009).

Frankel, St Nicholas Abbey, Camelot, Declaration of War, Sea of Class, Maurice
weeeeeeeee
Charlie

Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:42 pm

Game on Dude. I will always love that horse and I thought he was something people look back and admire, and he never really got a lot of recognition (or it seemed like he didn't).

Gun Runner is another one and I am sure more will come to me!
Miss Woodford

Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:14 am

Russell Road was my guy.

Also, not a Thoroughbred but I really enjoyed following Foiled Again's quest for 100 wins and his cross-country farewell tour.
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:58 am

Poor Game On Dude; he really should have gotten an Older Horse Eclipse somewhere along the line. His fate may be one of those things that prove the BC races have become too important in the minds of the voters. :?
Diver52

Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:57 am

Game on Dude's Santa Anita Handicap was superlative but he couldn't repeat at the BC. That said, I loved seeing him at Old Friends, even if Little Mike was the paddock boss.

Z insofar as she qualifies, and AP.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Kurenai
Site Admin

Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:23 am

Zenyatta
Frankel
California Chrome (when he was older, I really loved that he wasn't retired)
Black Caviar
Shared Belief :cry:

Looking at that list, they all have something in common... they were around longer than for one season. Generally don't care about Justify, Arrogate etc.

Runner Ups would be:
Sea The Stars
American Pharoah
Ridan_Remembered

Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:29 am

California Chrome, in many ways a hard-knock horse who overcame a lot.
All the horses who survived laminitis and colic to run and win again.
FlyToTheStars

Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:11 am

LADY ELI hands down and Shared Belief.. have others but those are standouts
ThreeMustangs

Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:36 am

Poor Shared Belief. Little guy had such bad luck on the track and in life.
Flanders

Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:37 pm

US: American Pharoah and Rachel Alexandra

Abroad: Winx, Black Caviar, Enable, Sea The Stars, Frankel, Almond Eye, Gentildonna

I feel I'm missing some but that is who popped into my head.

Runners up: Honor Code, Beholder, California Chrome, Ben's Cat, Diversy Harbor
carole

Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:02 pm

Sea The Stars will always be my no.1

Then I have:
Frankel
Snow Fairy
Rachel Alexandra
California Chrome
Enable
Stradivarius
Justify
KatieK101

Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:09 pm

I watched my first Kentucky Derby in 2012 and picked Union Rags to win. I was heartbroken when he didn't, but he certainly redeemed himself in the Belmont! For sentimental reasons, he has to be one of my all-time favorites.

Californa Chrome is up there for sure. His older horse campaign is what brought me back to the sport. I still watch his wins in the DWC and the Pacific Classic whenever I feel nostalgic.

Monomoy Girl quickly rose through the ranks on my list. I missed Zenyatta and RA by a few years, and only caught the tip of Beholder and Songbird's careers. She's a fantastic filly.
Mylute

Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:45 pm

Hmm..let's see.

Nyquist - I've never seen a horse that good be that disrespected.
I'll Have Another - First Derby I ever watched.
California Chrome - Probably one of the greatest comebacks ever.
Bal a Bali - Another great comeback. His name is fun to say.
Stellar Wind - I loved her name and she was just a great horse.
Monomoy Girl - I just really like her.
Good Magic - The second I heard the jock say "good job buddy" over the TV I was in love with the former maiden.
American Pharoah - Obvious
War of Will - Such a handsome boy and to see him win the Preakness after the Derby debacle was amazing.
Normandy Invasion - I liked his name.
Lani - Pretty guy, funny guy, just fun to root for.
Mylute - I like his name, he's gorgeous, he tried too hard to not ever win a stakes.
Almond Eye - I also like her name and just a super girl.
Roaring Lion - A great grey son of Kitten's Joy who we lost way too soon.
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
carole

Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:35 pm

carole wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:02 pm
Sea The Stars will always be my no.1

Then I have:
Frankel
Snow Fairy
Rachel Alexandra
California Chrome
Enable
Stradivarius
Justify
I can't believe I forgot...Royal Delta is on the list as well (still can't get over her death).
KatieK101

Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:22 pm

Mylute wrote:
Hmm..let's see.

The way people talk about him, it’s easy to forget that he was undefeated in eight starts, a juvenile champion, and a Kentucky Derby winner.

Has this horse ever been given much credit? I remember when everyone said his crop was weak, and to be fair some of his crop was late-maturing, but that crop did eventually produce three Eclipse champions and one Horse of the Year (off the top of my head) in Gun Runner, Arrogate, and Accelerate.
Mylute

Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:26 pm

KatieK101 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:22 pm
Mylute wrote:
Hmm..let's see.

The way people talk about him, it’s easy to forget that he was undefeated in eight starts, a juvenile champion, and a Kentucky Derby winner.

Has this horse ever been given much credit? I remember when everyone said his crop was weak, and to be fair some of his crop was late-maturing, but that crop did eventually produce three Eclipse champions and one Horse of the Year (off the top of my head) in Gun Runner, Arrogate, and Accelerate.
I could write a rant essay, and I originally thought about it, but I'll save everyone the giant post. However, I'll try to condense:

"Nyquist is an undefeated Juvenile champion, but he'll most certainly fail in the Derby because Uncle Mo is his sire and Forestry is grandpa. Oh, Uncle Mo had a lot of intestinal issues during his career which probably hindered his distance running? Nah. Nyquist isn't by Birdstone so he'll lose. Also, they're totally scared and running from Exaggerator by going to Florida. Yeah I know Nyquist has has had no trouble beating EX in like 6 races and they had picked out the Florida Derby when he was a juvenile, but the connections are totally scared of EX. EX is totally the best horse ever. Don't call him a 'glorified mudder.' Nyquist is just a fluke. We'll nickname him NyQuil. Oh, and Mohaymen is going to be the next Triple Crown winner. Don't you dare ask 'Who has he run against?' That's what we say against Nyquist. Oh, and by the way, who has Nyquist run against?"