Santa Anita 2020

stark
Posts: 5643
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:07 pm

And so it begins, or not.
https://www.santaanita.com/press-releas ... f-T_0dKjIV

The opening day of Santa Anita’s 83rd season will be postponed two days until Saturday, December 28th, ahead of next week’s declining weather forecast.

“Opening Day is traditionally one of our biggest days of the year, but our commitment to safety is first and foremost,” said Aidan Butler, Acting Executive Director of California for The Stronach Group. “It was very important to make this call as early as possible for our horsemen, fans and employees. There are many moving parts, especially in the training of these wonderful horses, and this decision is being made at this time out of respect to give all involved plenty of advance notice.”

“It is very difficult to predict weather forecasts in Southern California more than 48 hours in advance,” said Dennis Moore, who has returned to his responsibilities overseeing Santa Anita track surfaces. “Right now, they have rain Monday through Thursday morning. But the models are continuing to change and when they do that, they are usually building up moisture.”

Among the horses set to run is Fox Hill Farm’s Omaha Beach, the likely heavy favorite in the Grade 1 Runhappy Malibu Stakes, now set for Saturday. “They are doing the right thing by moving the races,” said Richard Mandella, Omaha Beach’s Hall of Fame trainer. “I’m just very happy to be in the race with this horse.”
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
User avatar
Curtis
Posts: 1411
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 am
Location: Monroe, WA
Contact:

Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:10 pm

Just like the old saying. What do you open the day after Christmas? Golden Gate Fields!
User avatar
Della
Posts: 622
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:24 am
Location: Plymouth Meeting, near Philly, PA
Contact:

Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:11 pm

I dread opening this thread.
stark
Posts: 5643
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:15 pm

Curtis wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:10 pm
Just like the old saying. What do you open the day after Christmas? Golden Gate Fields!
And if it rains hard there, the world will be watching the track condition with thoughts of future uses.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
User avatar
Curtis
Posts: 1411
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 am
Location: Monroe, WA
Contact:

Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:12 pm

stark wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:15 pm
Curtis wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:10 pm
Just like the old saying. What do you open the day after Christmas? Golden Gate Fields!
And if it rains hard there, the world will be watching the track condition with thoughts of future uses.
What happens at GGF, normally when heavy rains come, is that the track is fine but there is so much flooding around the track, patrons have trouble navigating in and out. Kinda like back in the day when a game got rained out at the Astrodome. I’m not advocating Tapeta for Santa Anita, the drainage would still be an issue and no one who advocates synthetic tracks ever wants to address the issue with breathing in the kick back. Caution is good, it’s just hard to prepare a horse based on weather reports.
stark
Posts: 5643
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:01 pm

Just looked at the workout report for Sunday morning.

3F........32
3F........5 training track
4F........107
4F........16 training track
5F........82
5F........15 training track
6F.........4

That seems like a lot of activity, seemingly without public complaints.

http://www.equibase.com/static/workout/ ... A-EQB.html
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
User avatar
Squeaky
Posts: 936
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:29 pm

Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:10 pm

Santa Anita will serve Christmas Eve dinner to 350 backstretch workers and their families, and there will be Santa, music, decorations and presents for the children. This makes me happy for such a hard working and dedicated group.
greyhorse
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:53 pm

Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:35 pm

Squeaky wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:10 pm
Santa Anita will serve Christmas Eve dinner to 350 backstretch workers and their families, and there will be Santa, music, decorations and presents for the children. This makes me happy for such a hard working and dedicated group.
Costs them a lot less than replacing the asbestos-filled firetraps many of them have to live in.
User avatar
Katewerk
Posts: 728
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:30 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:04 am

greyhorse wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:35 pm
Squeaky wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:10 pm
Santa Anita will serve Christmas Eve dinner to 350 backstretch workers and their families, and there will be Santa, music, decorations and presents for the children. This makes me happy for such a hard working and dedicated group.
Costs them a lot less than replacing the asbestos-filled firetraps many of them have to live in.
They can "asbestos-filled" or they can be "firetraps", but they can't be both.
User avatar
Squeaky
Posts: 936
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:29 pm

Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:59 am

Katewerk wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:04 am
greyhorse wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:35 pm
Squeaky wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:10 pm
Santa Anita will serve Christmas Eve dinner to 350 backstretch workers and their families, and there will be Santa, music, decorations and presents for the children. This makes me happy for such a hard working and dedicated group.


Costs them a lot less than replacing the asbestos-filled firetraps many of them have to live in.
They can "asbestos-filled" or they can be "firetraps", but they can't be both.
Why can’t it be both? With asbestos- filled being a descriptor for firetrap?
User avatar
Katewerk
Posts: 728
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:30 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:41 pm

Squeaky wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:59 am
Katewerk wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:04 am
greyhorse wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:35 pm




Costs them a lot less than replacing the asbestos-filled firetraps many of them have to live in.
They can "asbestos-filled" or they can be "firetraps", but they can't be both.
Why can’t it be both? With asbestos- filled being a descriptor for firetrap?
Asbestos is the most effective fireproofing material on the planet. For example, had asbestos been used to fireproof the structure of the WTC, (instead of halted part way through the constructiont and substituted with a lesser material) the towers might have remained standing. ( National Institute of Standards and Technology post 9/11 investigation)
MR-W
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:46 pm

Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:06 pm

Katewerk wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:41 pm
Squeaky wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:59 am
Katewerk wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:04 am


They can "asbestos-filled" or they can be "firetraps", but they can't be both.
Why can’t it be both? With asbestos- filled being a descriptor for firetrap?
Asbestos is the most effective fireproofing material on the planet. For example, had asbestos been used to fireproof the structure of the WTC, (instead of halted part way through the constructiont and substituted with a lesser material) the towers might have remained standing. ( National Institute of Standards and Technology post 9/11 investigation)
Believe me, it can be both! I fought fires for 32 years and many older structures contain asbestos in the floor tiles, ceiling tiles, heater duct pipes and older insulation. Most of the structure is wood that burns like a match stick.
stark
Posts: 5643
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:03 pm

Saturday
G1 Malibu 7 Furlongs
Hard to bet but fun to watch.

1 Much Better (KY) 3/R L F Prat 120 B Baffert 12/1
2 Complexity (KY) 3/C L J Castellano 120 C C Brown 5/2
3 Manny Wah (KY) 3/C L C Hill 120 B Baffert 8/1
4 Roadster (KY) 3/C L J Rosario 122 B Baffert 3/1
5 Omaha Beach (KY) 3/C L M E Smith 124 R E Mandella 4/5
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark
Posts: 5643
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:20 pm

Jay Privman
@DRFPrivman

Per agent Derek Lawson, Flavien Prat off mounts today at Santa Anita owing to being sick
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark
Posts: 5643
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:57 pm

stark wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:20 pm
Jay Privman
@DRFPrivman

Per agent Derek Lawson, Flavien Prat off mounts today at Santa Anita owing to being sick
Victor Espinoza picks up the mount on Bellafina.

Prat must be really sick, that or he missed his flight home from French vacation?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark
Posts: 5643
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:19 pm

I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark
Posts: 5643
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:17 pm

stark wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:19 pm
New diagnostic equipment
https://twitter.com/i/status/1210982699466231808

A chat with one of the bosses.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1210989148472926208
Slowly but surely it appears TSG's Santa Anita is becoming the gold standard for equine health at racetracks across America.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
luvsgeldings
Posts: 986
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:18 pm
Location: SoCal

Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:38 pm

how great to see Hard Not to Love win the La Brea at santa anita! very happy for this horse - a really nice grade 1 win for her - she was much the best today! - and always very happy for the always classy Mr John Shirreffs to get a grade 1 win too!!
katmandu
Posts: 1252
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:16 am

Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:40 pm

luvsgeldings wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:38 pm
how great to see Hard Not to Love win the La Brea at santa anita! very happy for this horse - a really nice grade 1 win for her - she was much the best today! - and always very happy for the always classy Mr John Shirreffs to get a grade 1 win too!!
Had no idea she only has one eye:
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/thor ... na-second/
User avatar
ThreeMustangs
Posts: 1910
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:37 pm
Location: Florida

Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:50 pm

Omaha Beach cruises to an easy win in the Malibu (G1). Mikey breaks the all-time record for G1 wins by a jock with 217.
Last edited by ThreeMustangs on Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply