Santa Anita 2020

stark

Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:53 pm

ThreeMustangs wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:50 pm
Omaha Beach cruises to an easy win in the Malibu (G1). Mikey breaks the record for G1 wins by a jock with 217.
Jerry Bailey is in 2nd, who is in third?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Flanders

Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:13 pm

stark wrote:
ThreeMustangs wrote:
Omaha Beach cruises to an easy win in the Malibu (G1). Mikey breaks the record for G1 wins by a jock with 217.
I can't find a list anywhere... John Velazquez has to be up there though.

Edit to add: I found an article from September that said. "Velazquez has amassed 193 of those in total, zeroing in on Bailey's record of 216 Grade 1 wins and contemporary and Hall of Famer Mike Smith, the closest active rider with 213."

John Velazquez won 5 G1 races since the article, so is at 198.
Diver52

Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:36 pm

luvsgeldings wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:38 pm
how great to see Hard Not to Love win the La Brea at santa anita! very happy for this horse - a really nice grade 1 win for her - she was much the best today! - and always very happy for the always classy Mr John Shirreffs to get a grade 1 win too!!
She was antsy in the saddling barn and then they could hardly get her to warm up, she kept skittering away and finally they had to use two ponies, one on each side, to get her around the clubhouse turn to gallop a bit. I shook my head and told my friend, "Eew, scratch that one off my list." :roll:
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
stark

Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:48 pm

Flanders wrote:
stark wrote:
ThreeMustangs wrote:

Edit to add: I found an article from September that said. "Velazquez has amassed 193 of those in total, zeroing in on Bailey's record of 216 Grade 1 wins and contemporary and Hall of Famer Mike Smith, the closest active rider with 213."

Thanks
stark

Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:49 pm

Diver52 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:36 pm
luvsgeldings wrote:
how great to see Hard Not to Love win the La Brea at santa anita! very happy for this horse - a really nice grade 1 win for her - she was much the best today! - and always very happy for the always classy Mr John Shirreffs to get a grade 1 win too!!
She was antsy in the saddling barn and then they could hardly get her to warm up, she kept skittering away and finally they had to use two ponies, one on each side, to get her around the clubhouse turn to gallop a bit. I shook my head and told my friend, "Eew, scratch that one off my list." :roll:
About the same time you said Eew, I hit the cancel button :evil:
Jumron

Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:55 am

katmandu wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:40 pm
luvsgeldings wrote:
Had no idea she only has one eye:
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/thor ... na-second/
I didn't either....I'll have to put her in my DRF stable now....love when one-eyed horses do well despite the setback.
Laughter is an instant vacation.....Milton Berle
stark

Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:44 pm

Opening Day Beyers

Hard Not to Love-102 (La Brea),
Omaha Beach-101 (Malibu),
Gift Box-107 (San Antonio),
Mirth-90 (Robert Frankel),
Mo Forza-98 (Mathis Bros),
Lady Pracealot-91 (American Oaks),
Devil Made Me Doit-87 (maiden).
CorridorZ75

Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:25 pm

So, the horse that broke its leg on the training track on Thursday was trained by Doug O'Neill. Since the tracks were closed to training, this happened at a jog or gallop, and isn't the training track an all weather surface? My first thought is this has to be on the trainer, doesn't it? Breaking down at a jog or gallop pretty much indicates there was a previously undiagnosed or underdiagnosed problem. Also, to all who thought it was a bad idea to postpone the opening day races, well there you are.
stark

Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:41 am

Flanders wrote:
stark wrote:
ThreeMustangs wrote:

Curtis

Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:43 pm

CorridorZ75 wrote:
So, the horse that broke its leg on the training track on Thursday was trained by Doug O'Neill. Since the tracks were closed to training, this happened at a jog or gallop, and isn't the training track an all weather surface? My first thought is this has to be on the trainer, doesn't it? Breaking down at a jog or gallop pretty much indicates there was a previously undiagnosed or underdiagnosed problem. Also, to all who thought it was a bad idea to postpone the opening day races, well there you are.
I haven’t been near the Santa Anita training track in awhile so you could be correct but I thought it was dirt. As for the rest, who was the horse that broke a leg, how long had Doug had it? As for that being fodder for those that want to shout, “Told ‘ya so!” about postponing Opening Day, I’m not buying it.
CorridorZ75

Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:08 pm

Curtis wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:43 pm
CorridorZ75 wrote:
I haven’t been near the Santa Anita training track in awhile so you could be correct but I thought it was dirt. As for the rest, who was the horse that broke a leg, how long had Doug had it? As for that being fodder for those that want to shout, “Told ‘ya so!” about postponing Opening Day, I’m not buying it.
Truest Reward- MCL had raced three times under DO, last time on November 29th at DM. I thought it is AW, but I don't know. I just thought it was a different surface so horses could still train on it when main track was closed due to rain.
Diver52

Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:32 pm

It's definitely dirt, but visibly different from the main track.

And sometimes fractures just happen. I remember when I was running the LA Marathon being creeped out by the story of a runner (jogger) who fractured a femur during the race.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
stark

Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:34 pm

CorridorZ75 wrote:
Not sure I understand your question or your point?
By drawing attention to the matter are you hoping for the stewards to take action against team O'Neil? Or, are you hoping for a public revolt of some sort thinking maybe PETA missed an opportunity?
FYI, there was a funeral type ceremony complete with bagpipes at the front gate by concerned activists, no word on if they were paid for their participation.
greyhorse

Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:37 pm

CorridorZ75 wrote:
It's dirt, but much sandier than the main track. Horses can do timed workouts over it, though it's not often you see it. Did you read that this track was closed for timed workouts that day, or just that the main track was closed? That being said, O'Neill is one of the worst injury offenders, in my impression.
CorridorZ75

Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:19 pm

stark wrote:
CorridorZ75 wrote:
By drawing attention to the matter are you hoping for the stewards to take action against team O'Neil? Or, are you hoping for a public revolt of some sort thinking maybe PETA missed an opportunity?
FYI, there was a funeral type ceremony complete with bagpipes at the front gate by concerned activists, no word on if they were paid for their participation.
My point is I went to look up something on Sunday and typed in Santa Anita and it was just tweet after tweet about the breakdown on Thursday. Believe me, no one missed the opportunity. My point is, if you want to stop seeing "funerals", you better figure out how to stop or at least significantly reduce the breakdowns, and the only way I know to do that is figure out what are the most likely factors contributing to each breakdown.
stark

Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:34 pm

CorridorZ75 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:19 pm
stark wrote:
CorridorZ75 wrote:
My point is I went to look up something on Sunday and typed in Santa Anita and it was just tweet after tweet about the breakdown on Thursday. Believe me, no one missed the opportunity. My point is, if you want to stop seeing "funerals", you better figure out how to stop or at least significantly reduce the breakdowns, and the only way I know to do that is figure out what are the most likely factors contributing to each breakdown.
You are absolutely 100% correct along with Tessa who started her spreadsheet right here classifying each tragedy.
Problem is, it's a lot like the Middle East wars and Global Warming, documenting the problems that are fixable turn out to be a little more difficult than originally thought to be.
Put this latest one in the shit happens column.
Katewerk

Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:46 pm

stark wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:34 pm

You are absolutely 100% correct along with Tessa who started her spreadsheet right here classifying each tragedy.
Problem is, it's a lot like the Middle East wars and Global Warming, documenting the problems that are fixable turn out to be a little more difficult than originally thought to be.
Put this latest one in the shit happens column.
The real problem is that it takes hundreds of cases to provide any meaningful statistical analysis, and then you still run the risk of omitting an entire category or two of contributory factors you didn't even know existed. The other problem is that there may be no significant contributory factors that can be isolated from the data and/or mitigated -- which is likely given the very nature of horse racing.
stark

Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:20 pm

Agree!
stark

Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:12 pm

G3 Sham Stakes One Mile
Race 5 @ Santa Anita today
10 Derby Points to the winner

1 Authentic (KY) 3/C L D Van Dyke 120 B Baffert 8/5
2 Zimba Warrior (FL) 3/C L J Valdivia, Jr. 120 J K Desormeaux 6/1
3 Uncaptured Hero (FL) 3/C L F Prat 120 R Baltas 6/1
4 Azul Coast (KY) 3/C L J Rosario 120 B Baffert 5/2
5 Scoring (KY) 3/C L A Cedillo 120 D F O'Neill 15/1
6 Taishan (KY) 3/C L A T Gryder 120 R Baltas 5/2

Not very often do you see Baffert start 'em out at a mile....and win!
Azul covered a lot of ground that day, racing very wide against an outclassed bunch at LosAl.
Tough read, but if the price holds up I'll take a shot with the other Baffert, what say you?
stark

Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:51 pm

stark wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:12 pm
G3 Sham Stakes One Mile
Race 5 @ Santa Anita today
10 Derby Points to the winner

1 Authentic (KY) 3/C L D Van Dyke 120 B Baffert 8/5
2 Zimba Warrior (FL) 3/C L J Valdivia, Jr. 120 J K Desormeaux 6/1
3 Uncaptured Hero (FL) 3/C L F Prat 120 R Baltas 6/1
4 Azul Coast (KY) 3/C L J Rosario 120 B Baffert 5/2
5 Scoring (KY) 3/C L A Cedillo 120 D F O'Neill 15/1
6 Taishan (KY) 3/C L A T Gryder 120 R Baltas 5/2

Not very often do you see Baffert start 'em out at a mile....and win!
Azul covered a lot of ground that day, racing very wide against an outclassed bunch at LosAl.
Tough read, but if the price holds up I'll take a shot with the other Baffert, what say you?
Will be interesting to read post-race comments.....what spooked the winner in the stretch?