COST OF FREEDOM Retirement Fund

Sound of Freedom

Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:39 pm

The industry should step up and donate this horse to Saratoga Warhorse. Is there a more fitting named horse for that organization.

Get NIKE to pay for it. What publicity. A horse with a Nike Swoosh helping veterans with PTSD. win win.
second_glance

Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:49 pm

And a friendship is born: John Malone and Cost of Freedom. Photo by Marcie Heacox

terpsichorist

Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:44 am

second_glance wrote:
terpsichorist wrote:Social Media helped out big time . I know for a while folks were appealing to Maggie Moss to take a look at the situation . Maggie was knee deep in
other retirements . When she posted for COS , she appealed to the former connections .and things really took off . It is nice to see people in the industry
take care of these horses .Let's hope these situations spread and more join in ..
It's not just the millionaires . Danger Storm was found at Auction tied to a trailer and Maggi stepped in .
God Bless all of you that do right by these horses! Merry Christmas!

Social media has been a godsend to rescues - especially those working the frontlines at the auctions -- in terms of broadcasting and obtaining information, fundraising, finding former connections, and organizations willing to take in a horse. Here's a rough sketch of how it worked yesterday:

Mondays are equine auction days at New Holland in PA -- one of the big auctions in the east. As is usually the case, this past Monday several people were on hand to monitor the auction for TBs. Among them, Kelly S. and Melissa R. A lot of TBs were being run through on the 23rd, including 3 broodmares that sold quickly to a kill buyer. After identifying (or attempting) the mares, Kelly and Melissa immediately start notifying people in the rescue community. Out in SoCal, Deborah Jones activates her FB networking group, and also begins contacting former connections of the 2 mares ID'd via their tattoos.

Meanwhile, also in SoCal, Dawn Mellen of After the Finish Line is waiting to board a cross-country flight, and since AtFL wants to do a Christmas rescue, she's scrolling through her FB friends, looking for an auction horse needing help. She sees Deb's post and , just before boarding her flight, PMs Deb that, if Deb can find a certified group to take the mares, AfTL will help not only with transport but with rehab costs. Deb, meanwhile via Twitter, has found a previous owner of one of the mares who is more than willing to chip in some money. She posts the news about both on her FB page and networking to find a home for the mares begins.

A volunteer at Equine Rescue of Aiken (SC) sees one of my tweets at about the same time the director of the group, Jim Rhodes, is contacted by someone else. He agrees to take the mares, but they have to be transported and rested a bit before they can go to SC. In steps the RACE Fund, aware of all this effort via FB etc., which offers a layover and transport to South Carolina. Back at New Holland, Kelly bails the mares from the kill buyer.

As a result, the mares -- Apollo Miss, Buffed Ice, and E's on Main -- are currently residing in a spiffy barn sponsored by the RACE Fund, the check from AtFL to Equine Rescue of Aiken is in the mail, and the mares leave on Sunday for their new home.
Angels at work , God Bless them all!
Catalina

Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:48 am

second_glance wrote:And a friendship is born: John Malone and Cost of Freedom. Photo by Marcie Heacox

Along with the story of what happened, that is a truly heartwarming photo!
Ridan_Remembered

Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:21 pm

Here's a heartwarming video to start the new year. It was shot December 27th when John Malone went to get his new horse, Cost of Freedom. COF's nuzzles and John's kiss say all we need to know about this horse's future.

http://youtu.be/zAn6atVWQPo
Sound of Freedom

Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:47 pm

Great. Although Maggie Moss is a lawyer, so her word often means nothing but be careful

@raypaulick: Troubling allegations by attorney/ex-prosecutor @maggimoss vs trainer @carlocallaghan1 that $$$ to help Cost of Freedom "misappropriated"

@maggimoss: UPDATE ON COST OF FREEDOM- i have now assembled the proof that Carl O Calloghan has misappropriated money donated for this horse- beware!
second_glance

Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:04 pm

Sound of Freedom wrote:Great. Although Maggie Moss is a lawyer, so her word often means nothing but be careful

@raypaulick: Troubling allegations by attorney/ex-prosecutor @maggimoss vs trainer @carlocallaghan1 that $$$ to help Cost of Freedom "misappropriated"

@maggimoss: UPDATE ON COST OF FREEDOM- i have now assembled the proof that Carl O Calloghan has misappropriated money donated for this horse- beware!

Let's hear Carl's side of this before drawing conclusions.
Sound of Freedom

Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:10 pm

second_glance wrote:
Sound of Freedom wrote:Great. Although Maggie Moss is a lawyer, so her word often means nothing but be careful

Let's hear Carl's side of this before drawing conclusions.
He sounds legit. Moss trying to make this about her. Typical lawyer.

@carlocallaghan1: @raypaulick @maggimoss all money's not in yet and I'm accused of something like this checks still coming in which have not been added up
Catalina

Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:09 pm

Kurenai
Site Admin

Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:33 pm

From what I read in the Paulick article, this sounds more like a bad "copy and paste" job than anything else. Since it was always the bottom half that was missing. It wasn't like he deleted a select few transitions out from the whole thing. Maybe he messed up with the book keeping and isn't the most responsible person to check on each penny, but I don't see him as someone trying to scheme people to get out a few extra bucks. It was good that she checked up on it, but I don't approve of the mud slinging that is going on. He gave her the full transcripts and gave her all of the money a few days later. If he would have needed the money so desperately to take it, then it wouldn't have been there still in the first place.

She could have just told him that there's something wonky there and he must have made a mistake. He corrected it. So I don't get the big "oooh my goood, he is a thief!" hoopla.
Sound of Freedom

Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:08 pm

I have to give people the benefit of the doubt when calling someone a thief. Like the justice system, I rather a 100 guilty people go free than one innocent be put in jail. This is a horse trainer though, and they are not always associated with honesty, but a shady lawyer is accusing him, so it is a push. Tie goes to presumption of innocence.
second_glance

Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:05 pm

Michael Wrona ‏@Michael_Wrona 58m
Nice addendum to Cost of Freedom retirement fiasco: Genaro Vallejo just fined $750 for excessive Bute in COF from Sept 6 win.

[I wouldn't call it a fiasco because the horse is safe and in good hands, but I take his point.]