The WAR HORSE Chronicles

User avatar
Miss Woodford
Posts: 1051
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:34 pm

Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:32 am

Standardbred war horse Foiled Again, whom I am running out of superlatives for, won the penultimate race of his career Saturday night at Mohawk Park. That's his 11th win of the year, 109th overall.
http://ustrottingnews.com/foiled-again- ... -farewell/
Replay here (6th race on the 22nd): https://woodbine.com/mohawk/watch-races/

His final start will be on December 31st at the Meadows, in a race for 14yos like himself.
WaquoitNBroadBrush
Posts: 1128
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:22 am

Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:11 am

Miss Woodford wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:32 am
Standardbred war horse Foiled Again, whom I am running out of superlatives for, won the penultimate race of his career Saturday night at Mohawk Park. That's his 11th win of the year, 109th overall.
http://ustrottingnews.com/foiled-again- ... -farewell/
Replay here (6th race on the 22nd): https://woodbine.com/mohawk/watch-races/

His final start will be on December 31st at the Meadows, in a race for 14yos like himself.
Amazing.

I noticed at the very end of the ceremony after the race that FA appears to have the number 4839 tattooed onto his neck. Is this standard for standardbreds instead of the lip tattoo that thoroughbreds have for identification?
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 2976
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:16 pm

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:11 am
Miss Woodford wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:32 am
Standardbred war horse Foiled Again, whom I am running out of superlatives for, won the penultimate race of his career Saturday night at Mohawk Park. That's his 11th win of the year, 109th overall.
http://ustrottingnews.com/foiled-again- ... -farewell/
Replay here (6th race on the 22nd): https://woodbine.com/mohawk/watch-races/

His final start will be on December 31st at the Meadows, in a race for 14yos like himself.
Amazing.

I noticed at the very end of the ceremony after the race that FA appears to have the number 4839 tattooed onto his neck. Is this standard for standardbreds instead of the lip tattoo that thoroughbreds have for identification?
Standardbreds are permanently identified by the United States Trotting Association and Standardbred Canada with either a lip tattoo or a freeze brand on the right side of the neck. (Freeze brands began to be allowed in 1995 and thereafter.)
However they are switching to microchips completely by 2021. All foals born in 2019 will get a microchip instead of a freeze brand or lip tattoo.
WaquoitNBroadBrush
Posts: 1128
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:22 am

Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:35 pm

Flanders wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:16 pm
WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:11 am
Miss Woodford wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:32 am
Standardbred war horse Foiled Again, whom I am running out of superlatives for, won the penultimate race of his career Saturday night at Mohawk Park. That's his 11th win of the year, 109th overall.
http://ustrottingnews.com/foiled-again- ... -farewell/
Replay here (6th race on the 22nd): https://woodbine.com/mohawk/watch-races/

His final start will be on December 31st at the Meadows, in a race for 14yos like himself.
Amazing.

I noticed at the very end of the ceremony after the race that FA appears to have the number 4839 tattooed onto his neck. Is this standard for standardbreds instead of the lip tattoo that thoroughbreds have for identification?
Standardbreds are permanently identified by the United States Trotting Association and Standardbred Canada with either a lip tattoo or a freeze brand on the right side of the neck. (Freeze brands began to be allowed in 1995 and thereafter.)
However they are switching to microchips completely by 2021. All foals born in 2019 will get a microchip instead of a freeze brand or lip tattoo.
Thanks. I can't wait to see the video from his last race at The Meadows. I'm sure that The Voice, Roger Huston, will call him to victory (hopefully) in his inimitable, understated (not) style!
WarBiscuit
Posts: 1347
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Mount Clemens, MI / Hawks Nest, WV

Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:41 pm

Final War Horse racers of 2018:

11yo h Union Bowman (Newfoundland - Incredibelle, by Personal Flag), 1st at Turfway Park (12/27/18). 94 - 22-11-16, $457,415.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Placed:
Toccet's Charm - 11g (18 2018 starts), He's Very Rare - 10g.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3rd:
Roarin Missile - 11g, Tesoro Borincano - 10h.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

War Horses that passed:

10yo g Prime Number (Maria's Mon - Winter House, by Deputy Minister). Pulled up/Euthanized at Presque Isle Downs (5/14/18).

10yo g Industry Leader (Cherokee Run - Dynamite Miss, by Seeking The Gold). Bobbled/Eased/Euthanized on track at Charles Town (2/16/18).

12yo g Electric Alphabet (Alphabet Soup - All Electric, by Grand Slam). Injured/Fell/Euthanized at Mahoning Valley (1/8/18).

11yo g Becky's Kitten (Kitten's Joy - Caterette, by Cozzene). Euthanized (6/9/18) after sustaining injury when kicked by another horse in March.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

War Horses mentioned here in past seasons who earned their retirement in 2018:

Reynaldothewizard - 12g, Classic Wildcat - 12g, Newfound Gold - 11g, City Sage - 10g, Condobound - 12g, Megastar - 12g,
Steal Your face - 13g, Attractive Ride - 12g, Vigilante Law - 12g, Rosa's Catena - 13g, , Evening Concerto - 11g,
Gato Paso - 12g, Princesa Dorada - 12m, Charlie Bull - 10g, Sizzano - 12m, Pedrolino - 12g, Meadow Wise - 12g,
Boundary Lane - 12m, Casa O - 12g , Counter Move - 12h, CSI Iowa - 12g, Wheres Cain - 12g, Small Town - 11g.
To be Continued...
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Injured horses MIA: 11yo g Memphis Mobster, Pulled Up/Vanned off at Portland Meadows (10/30/18 - R6).
11yo g Frontier Warrior, Bobbled Start/Vanned off at Finger Lakes (8/28/18 - R5).
10yo g McKenzies Way, Through Early/Vanned off at Parx (3/6/18 - R3).
11yo g Bank Account, Sustained Injury top of the stretch/Pulled Up/Vanned Off at Fairmount (6/12/18 - R7).
11yo g Religious Ed, Pulled Up in Distress/Vanned off at Presque Isle Downs (8/27/18 - R2).
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Winner of most starts for a 10+ yo in 2018 - 10yo g Lagoon of Diamonds - 19.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
User avatar
Miss Woodford
Posts: 1051
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:34 pm

Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:09 pm

Foiled Again finished 5th in a tough field to cap off his incredible career last night. He then received a send-off ceremony worthy of his stature. His front shoes were pulled on the track, signifying his retirement, and the crowd sang "For He's A Jolly Good Fellow".
Final record: 331-109-70-46, $7,635,588
His full PPs http://trackit.standardbredcanada.ca/?o ... 6&display=
http://www.harnesslink.com/News/foiled- ... nal-career
Happy trails to Foiled Again and to all the 14yo Standardbreds whose racing careers officially ended on January 1st.
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 2003
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:39 pm

I'd like to see a clip.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
User avatar
Miss Woodford
Posts: 1051
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:34 pm

Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:59 am

I finally found full video of his warm-up, race and retirement ceremony
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQKfbHFBLpA
User avatar
Dusty
Posts: 618
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:51 pm
Location: Dana Point, Ca
Contact:

Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:25 am

Miss Woodford wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:59 am
I finally found full video of his warm-up, race and retirement ceremony
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQKfbHFBLpA
Thank you for sharing this!
May they run with the WIND
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 2003
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:00 pm

She's not 10 or older, but I think Lucky Student deserves a mention.

http://live.drf.com/nuggets/46564-santa ... areer-race
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
WarBiscuit
Posts: 1347
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Mount Clemens, MI / Hawks Nest, WV

Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:23 pm

11yo millionaire Slim Shadey began his 10th season of racing at Gulfstream yesterday on his faux birthday with an 8th place finish in Race 4 (Starter Optional Claiming - $50K tag).

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 10003
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:41 pm

I'd love to see Slim retired soon; that horse has always had a will to win, but hasn't been doing much winning lately. :(
IIRC, he's not a cuddly sort, so I don't know if he would have the temperament to be a stable pony, but maybe Old Friends could find a place for him with some of the other tough old geldings.
User avatar
Northport
Posts: 2168
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: probably near the food

Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:23 pm

I wish I could claim him. Even if he is a cranky old fart, you could still say that you own a horse who ran against (and finished last to) Frankel in the Royal Lodge. :lol: He also was a credible 4th to him in the 2,000 Guineas.
weeeeeeeee
User avatar
Curtis
Posts: 1006
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 am
Location: Monroe, WA
Contact:

Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:43 am

Northport wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:23 pm
I wish I could claim him. Even if he is a cranky old fart, you could still say that you own a horse who ran against (and finished last to) Frankel in the Royal Lodge. :lol: He also was a credible 4th to him in the 2,000 Guineas.
I’d like to register a plea for Eminem to claim him. May the real Slim Shadey please stand up. Really, it would be good PR.
User avatar
Northport
Posts: 2168
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: probably near the food

Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:49 pm

Curtis wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:43 am
Northport wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:23 pm
I wish I could claim him. Even if he is a cranky old fart, you could still say that you own a horse who ran against (and finished last to) Frankel in the Royal Lodge. :lol: He also was a credible 4th to him in the 2,000 Guineas.
I’d like to register a plea for Eminem to claim him. May the real Slim Shadey please stand up. Really, it would be good PR.
It would be!

If he was mine, I'd have to give him an original barn name, my last horse just happened to be named Shady :P
weeeeeeeee
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 5620
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:23 pm

David Grening @DRFGrening
15m15 minutes ago
The 10-year-old Turco Bravo wins in first start in 3 months, and first since @LindaRiceRacing claimed him for this same $25K price on 9/8. Turco Bravo now has a record of 17-17-11 from 74 starts

David Grening @DRFGrening
5m5 minutes ago
David Cannizzo and Woodland Farms reclaimed the 10-year-old Turco Bravo for $25,000.

http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Result ... registry=T
WarBiscuit
Posts: 1347
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Mount Clemens, MI / Hawks Nest, WV

Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:18 pm

First visitors to the Winners Circle in 2019 include:

10yo g Got Even (Stephen Got Even - Kathryns Birthday, by Blare of Trumpets), 1st at Delta Downs (1/3/19). 68 - 12-11-12, $750, 459. SW.

10yo g Gold Man (Agnes Gold - Assinippi, by Suave Prospect), 1st at Laurel Park (1/5/19). 80 - 21-16-9, $383,025.

10yo m Power Of Nine (Capsized - Position of Power, by Lord Carson), 1st at Golden Gate ( 1/4/19). 39 - 12-12-7, $231,844. SW.

10yo g Turco Bravo (Caesarion - Turksih Queen, by Barkerville), 1st at Aqueduct (1/4/19). 74 - 17-17-11, $783,966. MGSP. Claimed.

10yo g Crooked As Can Be (Political Force - Satin Breeze, by Fly So Free), 1st at Fair Grounds (1/5/19). 56 - 17-12-9, $239,097.

10yo g Heiko (Mr. Greeley - Harriett Lane, by Giant's Causeway), 1st at Penn (1/5/19). 63 - 8-12-3, $291,816. SW
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Placed:
Sir Bond - 10g, Press Baron - 10g, Danas Best - 10m, Top Prospect - 11g.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3rd:
Thiscatsatalkin - 10g, My Samurai Warrior - 10g.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
More 2018 Retirees:
Dal's Pal - 12g, Drinking Fund - 12m, Hold On Smokey - 13h, Vision of Roses - 13g, Gentsfinishfirst - 14g
Saint Chocolate - 12g, Tropical Heat - 12g, Tellalittlesecret - 12m, Tuftikus - 13m, Lazy Nathan - 14g,
Check Out The Cat - 12g, Firmly Oriented - 12g, Thermal Wave - 12g, Lornefivehundred - 12g, Ready Racer - 12g.

Honorary Retiree - 15yo g Box Top (He's Tops - No Forgiveness, by Basket Weave), who was still busy racing out west as a 14yo in MX and QH races, and at 13 in TB races. We'll miss seeing him in the entries.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vanned Off: 12yo g Frisky Ricky in a QH race at Turf Paradise ( 4/10/18), one week after finishing 8th in a TB race at same. Hopefully, just retired.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 2003
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:00 pm

Wait, so thoroughbreds can run in QH and TB races?
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
User avatar
Curtis
Posts: 1006
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 am
Location: Monroe, WA
Contact:

Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:35 pm

Mylute wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:00 pm
Wait, so thoroughbreds can run in QH and TB races?
Yes, the races are usually 870 yards. Los Alamitos cards them quite often and have for years. One of my OTTB’s, Anniversary Year, ran in a couple of them in the early 2000’s.
WarBiscuit
Posts: 1347
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Mount Clemens, MI / Hawks Nest, WV

Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:36 pm

Mylute wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:00 pm
Wait, so thoroughbreds can run in QH and TB races?
I think it's a fairly common occurrence, especially out west at some of the small and mid-level tracks. From what I've seen, when a TB is entered in a QH race, it's usually at the 870 yard distance as opposed to the shorter quick sprints. Maybe someone can elaborate? At any rate, many of the 10+ yo's reported here do run in both categories.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
Post Reply