Stallion News

User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 3372
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:34 am

Northport wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:31 am
Gonna take a shot in the dark and say that it is a 3 year old colt with a single G1 win
Or a single G1 win as a juvenile.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 3171
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:39 am

mariasmon wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:15 am
Would you say Spendthrift is teasing a new stallion announcement in this ad?
I checked their facebook. They are showing stall doors with old nameplates on them, Seattle Slew and Nashua, and keep saying 9/13/19.
User avatar
mariasmon
Posts: 4452
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:38 am

Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:57 am

Flanders wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:39 am
mariasmon wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:15 am
Would you say Spendthrift is teasing a new stallion announcement in this ad?
I checked their facebook. They are showing stall doors with old nameplates on them, Seattle Slew and Nashua, and keep saying 9/13/19.
Yeah, their posts are similar on other social media platforms.
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 3372
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:31 am

Inb4 they announce they're standing Maximum Security.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
KatieK101
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:23 pm

Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:41 am

mariasmon wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:57 am
Flanders wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:39 am
mariasmon wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:15 am
Would you say Spendthrift is teasing a new stallion announcement in this ad?
I checked their facebook. They are showing stall doors with old nameplates on them, Seattle Slew and Nashua, and keep saying 9/13/19.
Yeah, their posts are similar on other social media platforms.
I’ve seen the ads but didn’t realize there was a date on them... a teaser for sure.

They’ve already announced they’re standing Omaha Beach and Mitole, and last year they grabbed Bolt d’Oro and Free Drop Billy. This may be a naive question, but out of curiosity, how are farms able to continually add stallions to their roster, unless they’re planning to retire some of their older studs?
TBird
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:09 am

Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:52 am

KatieK101 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:41 am
I’ve seen the ads but didn’t realize there was a date on them... a teaser for sure.

They’ve already announced they’re standing Omaha Beach and Mitole, and last year they grabbed Bolt d’Oro and Free Drop Billy. This may be a naive question, but out of curiosity, how are farms able to continually add stallions to their roster, unless they’re planning to retire some of their older studs?
They build more barns, add another breeding shed, and hire more staff.
KatieK101
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:23 pm

Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:45 am

TBird wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:52 am
KatieK101 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:41 am
I’ve seen the ads but didn’t realize there was a date on them... a teaser for sure.

They’ve already announced they’re standing Omaha Beach and Mitole, and last year they grabbed Bolt d’Oro and Free Drop Billy. This may be a naive question, but out of curiosity, how are farms able to continually add stallions to their roster, unless they’re planning to retire some of their older studs?
They build more barns, add another breeding shed, and hire more staff.
Seems straightforward enough.

For what it’s worth, I quite like the teaser ad. I’m not high on Spendthrift but I do love their marketing strategies. The Beholder/War Front valentine announcement was gold.
User avatar
bare it all
Posts: 1126
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:21 pm

Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:50 pm

I cant think they're putting all this out there for Omaha Beach who had already been announced as a new sire. They had already announced Mitole as well for the roster.

This seems like some sort of "big deal" and a historical move for the farm.

Just taking some guesses at who that stall could be for...
Maximum Security
Runhappy - moving from Claiborne to Spendthrift for a whole new ad campaign! ... jk
Has McKinzie had a stud deal announced yet
Mr Money

Or maybe completely different and they're going to be less commercial and more breed to race. LOL
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 3372
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:16 pm

Spendthrift's oldest boy IIRC is Malibu Moon...who is about to be 23. Second oldest is I *think* Temple City, who is a 2005 or 6 model.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
KatieK101
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:23 pm

Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:27 pm

bare it all wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:50 pm
I cant think they're putting all this out there for Omaha Beach who had already been announced as a new sire. They had already announced Mitole as well for the roster.

This seems like some sort of "big deal" and a historical move for the farm.

Just taking some guesses at who that stall could be for...
Maximum Security
Runhappy - moving from Claiborne to Spendthrift for a whole new ad campaign! ... jk
Has McKinzie had a stud deal announced yet
Mr Money

Or maybe completely different and they're going to be less commercial and more breed to race. LOL
No stud deal in place for McKinzie that I can recall. It could certainly be him.

Catalina Cruiser, perhaps? I don't see them making such a big deal over a horse that hasn't won a Grade 1 yet, although he is a monster of an individual

Of course, we could all be wrong and it could have nothing to do with a new stallion.
User avatar
Northport
Posts: 2318
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: probably near the food

Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:40 pm

TBird wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:52 am
KatieK101 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:41 am
I’ve seen the ads but didn’t realize there was a date on them... a teaser for sure.

They’ve already announced they’re standing Omaha Beach and Mitole, and last year they grabbed Bolt d’Oro and Free Drop Billy. This may be a naive question, but out of curiosity, how are farms able to continually add stallions to their roster, unless they’re planning to retire some of their older studs?
They build more barns, add another breeding shed, and hire more staff.
Sell the stallions who don't make a splash after one or two crops to a regional market/Korea/Turkey/South America.

They usually do give them more of a chance than Winstar, which is surprising since they stand a lot more... mediocre prospects.
weeeeeeeee
CorridorZ75
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:45 am

Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:33 pm

Wonder if they would buy and bring up Khozan out of Florida? I would think that is very likely to happen some point soon.
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 3171
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:36 pm

KatieK101 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:41 am
mariasmon wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:57 am
Flanders wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:39 am

I checked their facebook. They are showing stall doors with old nameplates on them, Seattle Slew and Nashua, and keep saying 9/13/19.
Yeah, their posts are similar on other social media platforms.
I’ve seen the ads but didn’t realize there was a date on them... a teaser for sure.

They’ve already announced they’re standing Omaha Beach and Mitole, and last year they grabbed Bolt d’Oro and Free Drop Billy. This may be a naive question, but out of curiosity, how are farms able to continually add stallions to their roster, unless they’re planning to retire some of their older studs?
Chances are if they add one or two new stallions every year some are going to be flops and that 1-2 will leave each year. Also they had 40 stallions that stood there in 1986. Its possible they repurposed a lot of the stalls for other uses.
mosieposie12
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:17 pm

Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:04 pm

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/sp ... lA.twitter


Mitole
Vino Rosso
Omaha Beach
Coal Front
Maximus Mischief

All these guys are going to stand in 2020 so looks like 2 more races for Omaha Beach.. disappointing to say the least
middleground
Posts: 502
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:29 pm

Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:31 pm

.
Last edited by middleground on Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Honor Code
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:16 am

Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:40 pm

I just want to say.....I'm betting Spendthrift's new stallion will be a son of Scat Daddy. That's literally the only major commercial sire line they don't seem to have right now.
MTO
Posts: 275
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:44 pm

Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:41 pm

mosieposie12 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:04 pm
http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/sp ... lA.twitter


Mitole
Vino Rosso
Omaha Beach
Coal Front
Maximus Mischief

All these guys are going to stand in 2020 so looks like 2 more races for Omaha Beach.. disappointing to say the least
My interpretation of the article is that they aquired breeding rights to 2 horses(Mitole and Omaha Beach) (and no specific date for stallion duty on those 2), while the 2020 date was given for 3 others. It's a poorly written quote that can be interpreted in diff ways. But to me, it doesn't clearly say that Omaha Beach and Mitole will be going to stud in 2020. I read before that they aquired breeding rights for OB and he will go to stud there at the end of his racing career. I dont see anything specific about Omaha Beach going to stud in 2020. Would they intro them to the farm prior to them going to stud for the next year? I don't know.

Keep in mind though that some horses have been racing through spring now with the Pegasus and World Cup.
mosieposie12
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:17 pm

Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:54 pm

https://live.drf.com/nuggets/49437-spen ... s-for-2020

In this DRF article its saying that all 5 are going to retired for the 2020 season. Mitole after the BC Sprint and Omaha Beach before the 2020 season starts.
User avatar
Northport
Posts: 2318
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: probably near the food

Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:10 pm

No one:
Not a single soul:
Not a single person on planet earth:
Spendthrift: we have FINALLY secured the breeding rights for Maximus Mischief, yall.
weeeeeeeee
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 3372
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:13 pm

Mega cringe.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
Post Reply