Stallion News

Sparrow Castle

Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:51 am

Le Beau Bai wrote:Delegator (GB) was found dead in his paddock last night (12/8) from a suspected cardiac event. He stood at Overbury Stud in the UK and was only 10 :(
Very sad. Hope his offspring do him proud.
http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/de ... -overbury/
Ridan_Remembered

Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:18 pm

Here is a terrific article about planning for California Chrome's first season at stud, beginning in February 2017. The article discusses some of the top-class mares that are in his first book and the plans for getting him ready to cover mares so soon after the Pegasus. It also provides an analysis of Chrome's pedigree and the types of mares that are being accepted for his book. It's a wonderful behind-the-scenes look at the thinking that goes into making a stallion. (As usual, Perry Martin is dreaming huge, but that's ok. If you're going to dream about such things, might as well dream big.)

https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/arti ... ud-career/
TapitsGal

Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:12 pm

Trumpeting Chrome as going on to be a better sire than Tapit when he hasn't even bred a mare yet.... that's ummm a lofty goal isn't it?
Ridan_Remembered

Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:46 pm

TapitsGal wrote:Trumpeting Chrome as going on to be a better sire than Tapit when he hasn't even bred a mare yet.... that's ummm a lofty goal isn't it?
Definitely. In typical blustery Perry Martin fashion, he aims for the farthest star out there. Nothing wrong with having big dreams, but he doesn't seem to be a man who knows how to temper his public statements and it comes off badly. Given that we are all flawed human beings, I don't fault him for it while at the same time wishing he would learn to tone himself down. A little humility from Martin would be very welcome. The reason is that some people hold the Martin antics against the horse, and I wish that wasn't the case.

Aside from Martin's typical boastful behavior, the Taylor Made folks seem to be doing a thoughtful job of selecting mares to give Chrome every chance to make it as a sire. I am a little concerned that they are going to rush him into breeding directly off the track without the usual let-down period. I have zero experience breeding horses, so don't know what impact, if any, that might have on Chrome.
Katewerk

Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:20 pm

Has it always been the practice to separate racing and breeding into distinct career paths? In other disciplines, stallions are used while still in competition.
mariasmon

Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:59 pm

Katewerk wrote:Has it always been the practice to separate racing and breeding into distinct career paths? In other disciplines, stallions are used while still in competition.
In other disciplines, are the stallions doing all live cover breeding? I'm doubting it.
Katewerk

Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:23 pm

mariasmon wrote:
Katewerk wrote:Has it always been the practice to separate racing and breeding into distinct career paths? In other disciplines, stallions are used while still in competition.
In other disciplines, are the stallions doing all live cover breeding? I'm doubting it.
That I don't know.
Retrospectiv

Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:33 pm

There are TB stallions who have spent time breeding and gone back to the track, but it's certainly not the norm.

Bertrando an George Washington probably two of the better known, and their circumstances were obviously different.

Given how studdish Chrome used to act post race in his younger years I doubt it'll be a tough transition for him lol. Perhaps just mentally and manners wise with a rushed into into a full book of covering. Of course, Coolmore rushed Holy Roman Emporer off the track and into the shed as a spring 3yr old to cover for George.
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Northport

Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:45 pm

Some hunter ponies in North America are conceived via natural covering, but hunter pony stallions can't be competed over fences by anyone under the age of 18 so they don't really do all that much showing at a national level, if at all.

In my experience, almost all showjumping and hunter horses are conceived via AI. In North America at least.
weeeeeeeee
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:33 pm

From what I've seen, some of the best show jumping and dressage horses are stallions, and they can compete well into their teens. If you know you have an exceptional horse, it makes sense to start their stud career via AI before their work in the ring ends.
bare it all

Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:39 pm

Seeing in a few places that Hurricane Run has died.
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:43 pm

Sadly true. :(
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... -at-age-14
We also lost his great sire, Montjeu, in 2012 at only 16.
Sparrow Castle

Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:41 pm

bare it all wrote:Seeing in a few places that Hurricane Run has died.
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Sadly true. :(
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... -at-age-14
We also lost his great sire, Montjeu, in 2012 at only 16.
How awful! Hard to guess what's behind "...passed away due to complications during a planned routine operation," but there are risks in even seemingly minor procedures. Another loss for the Montjeu line.
Sparrow Castle

Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:43 pm

This is a long article but there are some interesting tidbits in it.

Pharoah's first book full of global glamour mares
AN IMPRESSIVE number of the world's foremost breeders joined in sending some of the best broodmares on the globe to Triple Crown winner American Pharoah in his first season at stud, including a dozen that either won European Group 1 races or produced Group 1 winners.

Of the 208 mares in American Pharoah's first book, 55 mares (or 26 per cent) were either Grade/Group 1 winners or dams of elite winners, according to data supplied by the American Jockey Club and Coolmore, which stands the son of Pioneerof the Nile at its Ashford Stud near Lexington. Many more are half-sisters or daughters of top performers.
http://bloodstock.racingpost.com/news/b ... s/2211242/
Sparrow Castle

Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:06 pm

Mike Welsch ‏@DRFWelsch
Jim Dandy winner Laoban retired due to soft tissue injury discovered after latest work. Will stand stud next season in N.Y.
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:29 pm

So much for Guillot's dreams of Pegasus glory.
Besides Nyquist, is Loaban one of the first Uncle Mo's to go to stud?
Summer Bird

Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:20 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Mike Welsch ‏@DRFWelsch
Jim Dandy winner Laoban retired due to soft tissue injury discovered after latest work. Will stand stud next season in N.Y.
He will be standing at Sequel.
Northport

Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:33 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:So much for Guillot's dreams of Pegasus glory.
Besides Nyquist, is Loaban one of the first Uncle Mo's to go to stud?
I think Outwork beat both to the punch. They'll all be standing in 2017 but Outwork has been retired for a few months.
weeeeeeeee
Izvestia

Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:00 pm

It is literally raining Uncle Mo's. Get them while he's hot. Laoban had 1 win in 9 starts, and retires with a soft tissue injury. I'm going out on a limb and saying Uncle Mo isn't passing along soundness with the 'brilliance'.
sweettalk

Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:32 am

? what other major runners of his are retiring for next year with injuries?