Foals of 2016

RuffiantoRags

Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:08 am

If this is her 1st foal, there is always a chance that she may not accept a foal, which is pretty rare but it could happen. So it's just as a precaution so the handler could pull away the mare from the foal if she strikes out.

When my farm needed a buddy for an orphan foal we got a filly that was not accepted by her damn and so the 2 foals were stall buddies and learned to drink milk formula from a bucket. Then eventually they needed to be separated just like a mare and foal.
Flanders

Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:35 am

RuffiantoRags wrote:If this is her 1st foal, there is always a chance that she may not accept a foal, which is pretty rare but it could happen. So it's just as a precaution so the handler could pull away the mare from the foal if she strikes out.

When my farm needed a buddy for an orphan foal we got a filly that was not accepted by her damn and so the 2 foals were stall buddies and learned to drink milk formula from a bucket. Then eventually they needed to be separated just like a mare and foal.
It is her first foal.
Sparrow Castle

Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:57 am

Woodford Thoroughbreds
First foal by He's Had Enough (Tapit-Amelia) out of D Prairie Cat who is a half to G1 winner Emma's Encore. Born 8:05 Sunday morning at Woodford Thoroughbreds Florida location.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... had-enough
Also...
Woodford Thoroughbreds has videos of their foals on their FB page. I don't know how to post videos.
https://www.facebook.com/Woodford-Thoro ... 7/?fref=ts

Filly, Warrior's Reward-Bari's Pulpette, 1/18
Colt, Munnings-Dixieland Bull, 1/18
Life At Zen

Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:09 pm

Paseana wrote:
mariasmon wrote:f. War Front x Midnight Lucky

Why is Midnight Lucky on a rope there? She's loving on her newborn....why is she being held at a moment like this? Is that normal?
Looks like she was given an IV injection of something so who knows.
Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
Sparrow Castle

Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:20 pm

Spendthrift Farm
Our 1st 2016 foal was born last night, a colt by Into Mischief o/o Vibrant. He's a full to MGSW Vicar's in Trouble!
Sparrow Castle

Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:39 pm

That's a whole lot of bling.
Questroyal North
We welcomed our second foal last night! A flashy chestnut filly by Posse out of Brittany Goes West.
There's a cute video on FB of her getting up on those legs.
https://www.facebook.com/Questroyalnorth/?fref=photo
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:44 pm

"Looks like she was given an IV injection of something so who knows."

If a mare is too slow passing the placenta, IIRC, a hormone injection (Prostaglandin?) may be needed to get things moving.
Sparrow Castle

Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:45 pm

Sunrise Stallions
Nothing more exciting than the birth of foals! We recently welcomed our first of the year, a colt by HEAVY BREATHING out of the Silver Train mare Pylortes, born at Dutchess Views Farm. Thanks to everyone at the farm for the photos, and we look forward to seeing this boldly marked colt grow up into a winner.
katmandu

Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:03 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Woodford Thoroughbreds
First foal by He's Had Enough (Tapit-Amelia) out of D Prairie Cat who is a half to G1 winner Emma's Encore. Born 8:05 Sunday morning at Woodford Thoroughbreds Florida location.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... had-enough
Also...
Woodford Thoroughbreds has videos of their foals on their FB page. I don't know how to post videos.

Filly, Warrior's Reward-Bari's Pulpette, 1/18
Colt, Munnings-Dixieland Bull, 1/18
The angular deformity on the left front is not subtle. Hope they can get it fixed.
Summer Bird

Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:28 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:"Looks like she was given an IV injection of something so who knows."

If a mare is too slow passing the placenta, IIRC, a hormone injection (Prostaglandin?) may be needed to get things moving.
You give oxytocin to get a retained placenta out although that's IM. Besides getting an IV injection (I'm guessing it was banamine), she's probably being held as a precaution just in case she tries to hurt her foal. We did that all the time to the mares at school in case they tried to hurt their babies.
Izvestia

Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:43 pm

Not a great advertisement of He's Had Enough.
TBird

Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:48 pm

katmandu wrote: The angular deformity on the left front is not subtle. Hope they can get it fixed.
Almost all foals are born with crooked legs (there's a lot of leg to squish into a very small space pre-birth) and almost all correct naturally as they unfold and develop. I doubt that anyone is worried about fixing that foal.
katmandu

Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:40 pm

TBird wrote:
katmandu wrote: The angular deformity on the left front is not subtle. Hope they can get it fixed.
Almost all foals are born with crooked legs (there's a lot of leg to squish into a very small space pre-birth) and almost all correct naturally as they unfold and develop. I doubt that anyone is worried about fixing that foal.
I take it you've been very lucky with yours?
luvthesales

Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:44 pm

I'm with Tbird. Most correct naturally. Except in extreme cases, you really don't know what you have until they're 30 days old, and there is little point in making an assessment in the first day or two unless you've got something that needs veterinary intervention. I wouldn't even consider that foal to be a dramatic case, as foals go. Looks pretty normal.
TBird

Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:01 pm

katmandu wrote:
TBird wrote:
I take it you've been very lucky with yours?
Why yes, I have (except for one time when I was very unlucky). How about you?
katmandu

Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:25 pm

I've had casts on foals at a week of age, it always helps, but doesn't always "normalize".

Does surgical intervention for angular deformities have to be declared now for auction horses?

Nor would I necessarily blame the stallion (as someone did upstream). . . . it's a little more complicated than that.
mariasmon

Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:54 pm

And this conversation is turning into a good example of why people hesitate to post pics of their young foals.
Sparrow Castle

Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:10 pm

mariasmon wrote:And this conversation is turning into a good example of why people hesitate to post pics of their young foals.
I'll pick and choose better in the future. It just looked like regular ol' funky foal legs to me. I've seen a lot worse. She's walking around just fine in the video on their FB page.
Sparrow Castle

Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:20 pm

Woodford Thoroughbreds posted a video of the Verrazano colt out of Deceit, foaled Jan 18.
Izvestia

Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:21 pm

My apologies, of the photos I've seen this year, that was the worst.