New Stallions of 2020

Saban
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:32 pm

Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:57 pm

Sogann, by Frankel, to Norton Grove Stud in the UK. Sogann is a half brother to multiple group 1 winner Dabirsim.
Saban
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:32 pm

Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:10 pm

Sporting Chance, by Tiznow, to A & A Stud in New Mexico. Sporting chance won the grade 1 Hopeful Stakes in 2017.
User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:26 pm

Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:26 pm

Saban wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:10 pm
Sporting Chance, by Tiznow, to A & A Stud in New Mexico. Sporting chance won the grade 1 Hopeful Stakes in 2017.
I remember him as the colt who couldn't run straight to save his life.

ETA: sort of referencing the side conversation about Thunder Snow and Lani. ;)
Saban
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:32 pm

Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:00 pm

Soldier's Call by Showcasing to Ballyhane stud in Ireland in 2020.
Saban
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:32 pm

Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:37 am

Earnshaw (8 year old horse) by Medaglia D'Oro to Haras des Granges in France for 2020.
Saban
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:32 pm

Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:08 am

Blue Point by Shamardal to Darley's Kildangan Stud in Ireland in 2020.
Saban
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:32 pm

Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:41 pm

Solomini by Curlin to McMahon Thoroughbreds in 2020. Fee will be $6500.
Horsebagger
Posts: 2166
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:20 pm

Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:22 am

Saban wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:41 pm
Solomini by Curlin to McMahon Thoroughbreds in 2020. Fee will be $6500.
Oooohhhhhh.......please tell me where the line is forming.
User avatar
Northport
Posts: 2395
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: probably near the food

Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:45 pm

Horsebagger wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:22 am
Saban wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:41 pm
Solomini by Curlin to McMahon Thoroughbreds in 2020. Fee will be $6500.
Oooohhhhhh.......please tell me where the line is forming.
Are you trying to say that there isn't a market for a stallion whose last result was 7th in an Allowance Optional Claimer?!
weeeeeeeee
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 3352
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:49 pm

$6500 is laughable.
Horsebagger
Posts: 2166
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:20 pm

Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:44 pm

Flanders wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:49 pm
$6500 is laughable.
The fact he isn't available for trail rides for $50 bucks an hour is what's laughable.
MySaladDays
Posts: 1057
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:16 am

Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:12 pm

I LIKED Solomini.
He was mis managed early on in his career, and being a bit of a head case, that is never good for that kind of horse.

that, combined with the fact that we don't do so well with *stayers* here in the U.S. some of these true distance types end up running in a lot of races that are not right for them.

He had the potential to be so much more.

I see it all the time. Had Vent Le Seve (spelling) been raised and trained here it would have been awful unless he got a really patient trainer
MySaladDays
Posts: 1057
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:16 am

Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:16 pm

Gemini wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:26 pm
Saban wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:10 pm
Sporting Chance, by Tiznow, to A & A Stud in New Mexico. Sporting chance won the grade 1 Hopeful Stakes in 2017.
I remember him as the colt who couldn't run straight to save his life.

I got to see Sporting Chance quite a bit. even first time I saw him though, I said to my friends while we were watching him at the rail "this one is like a perpetual teenager/adolescent"........ you can always spot those, and then you hope they mature but oftentimes they don't. He always seemed to have his mind on anything other than racing.

If he were a dog he would be a whole lot of fun, playing fetch and catch with......I liked him but not as a race horse. He didn't seem to have a serious bone in his body.

But of course, that is why I like labrador retrievers, and many other dogs, too........so I liked Sporting chance.
User avatar
Curtis
Posts: 1411
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 am
Location: Monroe, WA
Contact:

Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:15 pm

MySaladDays wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:12 pm
I LIKED Solomini.
He was mis managed early on in his career, and being a bit of a head case, that is never good for that kind of horse.

that, combined with the fact that we don't do so well with *stayers* here in the U.S. some of these true distance types end up running in a lot of races that are not right for them.

He had the potential to be so much more.

I see it all the time. Had Vent Le Seve (spelling) been raised and trained here it would have been awful unless he got a really patient trainer
How should he have been managed?
User avatar
Starine
Posts: 4935
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:09 pm

Wow, those are some pretty brutal jabs at Solomini. :shock:
MySaladDays
Posts: 1057
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:16 am

Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:38 am

lllll
User avatar
Diver52
Posts: 1816
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:44 pm
Location: Redlands, CA

Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:28 pm

If he were offered at $2000 I don't think there would have been much criticism other than shrugs and "meh.".
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
User avatar
Curtis
Posts: 1411
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 am
Location: Monroe, WA
Contact:

Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:51 pm

Diver52 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:28 pm
If he were offered at $2000 I don't think there would have been much criticism other than shrugs and "meh.".
A prospective stallion like Solomini is tough to sell, in my opinion. You’re right 2k is worth the risk, the problem is that stallions that stand for that are usually in small markets like New Mexico, AZ, Oregon or up here in WA. The vast majority of horses that come out of these markets are sprinters. Smiling Tiger, the best stallion in CA—in my opinion—was a sprinter and that’s what you’re getting from him. I know NY isn’t KY but, I think it will be hard to get mares for 6.5k. I don’t think the breed would suffer if he were to be gelded and put in the TB Makeover Project. Just steer clear of disciplines that require flying lead changes.😉
User avatar
Diver52
Posts: 1816
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:44 pm
Location: Redlands, CA

Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:09 pm

Oh, I'm not saying there aren't much more attractive prospects even at $2000 or that the world needs his genes. (Love the comment about flying lead changes.) But it's the pricing that is ludicrous.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Saban
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:32 pm

Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:41 pm

Copper Bullet by More Than Ready to Darby Dan Farm in 2020.
Post Reply