California Chrome to Japan

BaroqueAgain1

Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:13 pm

While I also wish 'Chrome had stayed here and had success, I'm kind of excited about Japan's committed interest in him.
I've come to have great respect for the Japanese eye for breeding stock. It seems like every time I read a race result from Japan, the dams of the top runners are often American race mares that were imported. Or the dam sires are USA-bred stallions.
Chrome's best chance at a successful stud career may have just been made possible by Arrow Stud. 8-)
Catalina

Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:50 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:13 pm

Chrome's best chance at a successful stud career may have just been made possible by Arrow Stud. 8-)
He's got a lot better chance of getting good mares over there, IMO as well.
Ridan_Remembered

Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:27 am

From a World Horse Racing tweet with an embedded video: Mr. "Keisuke Onishi (JS Company Ltd) reassures fans CALIFORNIA CHROME will be afforded the best of care when joining the 2020 stallion roster at Arrow Stud."

I don't know how to repost a Tweet, so here's the link: https://www.trendsmap.com/twitter/tweet ... UbZ5ncTLPw

Such is the power of the phenomenon known as California Chrome.
Private Thoughts

Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:06 am

His 1/2 brother by Tapit seems to be doing quite well as. 2 year old and is entered in a stakes race Saturday.

Funny for those who poo-poo his family, or lack thereof, his little 1/2 brother impressed Coolmore enough to go to 1.1 million to purchase him and now he is having quite a nice 2 year old season.
Northport

Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:53 pm

Private Thoughts wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:06 am
His 1/2 brother by Tapit seems to be doing quite well as. 2 year old and is entered in a stakes race Saturday.

Funny for those who poo-poo his family, or lack thereof, his little 1/2 brother impressed Coolmore enough to go to 1.1 million to purchase him and now he is having quite a nice 2 year old season.
You can only poopoo what you see. The only information we have is that his dam hasn't reproduced a horse close to his calibre. Coolmore, or anyone, spending $1.1m on a half sibling to a Derby winner by the best American sire is par for the course.

"Quite a nice 2 year old season" is 5th, 2nd, and 1st in three MSW starts and entry in a listed race. I'd wait for some black type before calling it an above average campaign. He seems to be on the improve, and hopefully he wins or hits the board in the Smooth Air and can warrant a spot in the stallion shed at Coolmore in time. It'd be nice to see him get more of a chance if his brother couldn't.
weeeeeeeee
Ridan_Remembered

Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:06 pm

Here is a video of the full interview of Mr. Keisuke Onishi, JS Company, LTD CEO. He explains the decision and what Chrome will mean for the local breeding industry. Among the things Mr. Onishi says is that the Japanese syndicate came together very quickly, and that Chrome will get about 120 to 130 mares next year. Mr. Onishi says that is very good support for him.

https://www.facebook.com/worldhorseraci ... p_activity