Birding?

Spahny

Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:46 pm

Bald Eagle week news.

The veteran couple of the Two Harbors nest on Catalina Island have a new baby and another one breaking through as I speak.

The popular reality t.v. eagle couple, Chase and Cholyn, have been mates on this nest since 2003. Both are out of the San Francisco zoo and were born in 1998 then relocated to Catalina. They represent a kind of pioneer status for their roles in the early years of the Channel Island bald eagle restoration project which has been enormously successful, due in no small part by these two super parents.

The male, Chase, was sitting on the eggs when the 1st hatched this morning. This is unusual behavior for male eagles but not for Chase, according to veteran cam watchers. In fact Chase has earned the nick name Mr. Mom for his dedication to family.

Happening now at expore.com.

https://explore.org/livecams/bald-eagle ... wo-harbors
Somnambulist

Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:20 pm

Went for a really long walk today... the osprey are back. Spring is here. :D
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
ElPrado2

Fri May 10, 2019 11:25 am

My friend the female osprey seems to have found me.
I was just given a thorough screaming at, after which I seem to have been given a gossip rundown of all kinds of important news. She is still yelling from the lightpole in the parking lot.
ElPrado2

Tue May 28, 2019 7:09 am

I wish I could have pets now.
There is a blue and gold macaw sitting on the roof of the laundry room next to me. If I waved a banana at him he would jump in the window. Someone must have misplaced him over the weekend. He's been mumbling cuss words and hello at me for 20 minutes.
BaroqueAgain1

Tue May 28, 2019 2:47 pm

Would you call Animal Control or Fish & Game to retrieve a bird like that? It sounds like he needs help to find his way back home.
stark

Wed May 29, 2019 10:19 am

I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
ElPrado2

Wed May 29, 2019 1:04 pm

Neither one would help much.
There are escaped macaws, mini macaws, amazons, parakeets of different species, cockatoos, you name it...
They can live in my climate. That macaw could be from 50 miles away. There's a colony of Quaker parakeets in a dead pine half a mile west of me. I 've seen several pairs of various amazons yelling at each other. There's a military macaw shrieking his head off close by every morning. He gets in the locust trees across the street and does branch trimming free. He needs to start getting paid. He's been known to throw branches at people on the sidewalk.
ElPrado2

Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:34 pm

I live close to a trailer court that has sunfish, koi and other bird catchable fish. My osprey recognized me. There's a bald eagle regular, I call him Marsh Mike. He fishes in the morning then spirals up to play in clouds. Crows everywhere and the vultures are playing lake scenes this week. I always think of them as looking for attention. If I go outside they usually do something so they get my attention. They aren't bad, just Mother Nature's clean up crew.
ElPrado2

Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:48 pm

Another obvious escapee...
An African Grey was sitting on the motel sign just now. Our maintenance man needs to replace some wiring in the sign that caught fire in the last storm. It shorted. John, maintenance guy, brought the ladder out to see what wiring he had to get. Parrot had a temper tantrum. He knows a lot of swear words, and can shriek with all of them. They could hear him across the street. The kids were learning new ones.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:35 pm

All the rain we had during the winter in SoCal has created an especially fertile spring for the local birds.
We had a pair of finches nest in a knothole in the house by the front walk, and another finch pair is working hard raising their second brood (FOUR hungry mouths!) on our back porch.
Also had the rare joy of watching a hummingbird build her nest in a branch right outside the living room window, lay eggs and raise two youngsters. Everything goes fast with hummingbirds, but we did get to watch one chick take his first flight, fluttering from branch to branch before making his was back to the tiny, now-crowded nest. The next day, both youngsters were gone, out on their own.
Our loud local ravens have regular arguments with the Cooper's Hawks who have a nest up in our backyard. Both sets of birds feel like it is their territory, but when the hawk gets really pissed, the ravens will back down. Those talons...and a Cooper's is an agile bird who is fine ducking through branches, so the ravens have little advantage there.
ElPrado2

Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:53 am

With that possibly heavy weather on its way, the eagles are having a helluva good time waiting for it. They are playing hide and seek in clouds above me. The male soars in going one way, then the female flits into the same wisp. Then they go look for a different wisp.