The movie thread

BlindLucky

Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:48 pm

Insane Crazy wrote:Did you see the new trailer or the teaser from a few months ago? The teaser was super Breakfast Club, and the new one has LOTS of Power Rangers goodness. I posted the new trailer on my FB, if you need to compare. ;P
I had only seen the one they played before Rogue One, I guess that was an earlier teaser. Just watched the one you posted, now THAT is much more like it :D
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
TapitsGal

Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:50 pm

I saw the resurrection of Gavin stone
stark

Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:48 pm

Hidden Figures
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
TapitsGal

Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:52 pm

Saw the resurrection of Gavin stone. I liked it it was funny but sadly a kind of predictable story line. I'm seeing A Dogs Purpose when it releases tomorrow(yes I'm aware of the "controversial footage" but I believe the footage was two different scenes edited to make it look like abuse and I don't consider tmz OR peta reliable sources
Starine

Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:52 pm

I thought Split was very entertaining, especially with James McAvoy in the lead playing a man with so many personalities. He's pretty good at playing a creeper, much like Jake Gyllenhaal in Nightcrawler.
starrydreamer

Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:30 am

I love Arrival so so much. It hits my all-time favorites list.

Hidden Figures made me happy. The acting was so vibrant and it was a real celebration of the previously unsung heroes of the space race.

Manchester by the Sea was just... sad. I thought Casey Affleck deserved to win Best Actor at the Oscars, but his win was definitely soured by the sexual assault allegations that have been floating around. It's too bad he couldn't keep his hands to himself, because I've thought he's a good actor since Gone Baby Gone. And can we give Michelle Williams a role where she's, yknow, happy?

Nocturnal Animals was depressing. Gripping, but depressing.

The Light Between Oceans was sad, but very beautifully shot. It's a story about love and guilt. And man, I would love to live on that island.
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:18 pm

I really wanted to see Arrival, but I got hit with bronchitis when it was at my local theaters. I just got healthy enough to venture into a theater for two hours, but the movie is no longer around. :(
Sigh.
Maybe it will end up on HBO in a few months.
stark

Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:00 pm

If you think you're going to ever see KONG, please don't wait for it to come to your living room are worse your smartphone.
Spend a couple extra bucks for the 3D glasses and see it at IMAX, pretty amazing stuff!
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Starine

Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:11 pm

stark wrote:If you think you're going to ever see KONG, please don't wait for it to come to your living room are worse your smartphone.
Spend a couple extra bucks for the 3D glasses and see it at IMAX, pretty amazing stuff!
The NPR reviewer said something similar.

I wasn't planning to see this one but every time I see the trailer that siren song of Tom Hiddleston gets me every time.
Starine

Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:18 pm

Finally was able to see Get Out with the fam and really enjoyed it. It was thrilling, scary, smart and funny all at once.

Jordan Peele clearly has a bright future ahead of him as a filmmaker.
Insane Crazy

Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:04 pm

Starine wrote:
stark wrote:If you think you're going to ever see KONG, please don't wait for it to come to your living room are worse your smartphone.
The NPR reviewer said something similar.

I wasn't planning to see this one but every time I see the trailer that siren song of Tom Hiddleston gets me every time.
Kong was very silly but I enjoyed it very much. I am here for the expanded universe thing. Monsters punching is something I love.

I saw Power Rangers and it was AMAZING. I loved every second. It is deeply imperfect but all of the negative reviewers clearly just don't like earnest, silly, good-hearted fun. I will absolutely see the sequel.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:11 pm

Has anyone seen the new, live-action Ghost In the Shell? I loved the anime movie and series, so I'm worried about having too many expectations, though the reviews have been mostly complimentary.
Insane Crazy

Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:33 pm

GO.

SEE.

GET.

OUT.

I'm not an especially harsh critic overall, but it's almost never that I leave a theater without thinking of at least a couple of things I wish had been done differently. It's ACTUALLY never that I leave a horror film without a list (sometimes one or two, sometimes as long as my arm). I'm still thinking about Get Out today, and I can't summon up one thing I didn't flat out love. It's almost perfect.

It's Jordan Peele's first feature. My god, what a genius.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Tessablue

Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:35 pm

I'm really not a horror person, but Get Out was excellent! Really glad my friends dragged me to it.
peeptoad

Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:48 pm

Tessablue wrote:I'm really not a horror person, but Get Out was excellent! Really glad my friends dragged me to it.
I am a horror person, but I haven't seen that one yet. Been hearing some really excellent things about it... Will see it soon. Very soon. Just need to get a new job first so I can focus on my actual life again. :twisted:
Starine

Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:21 pm

Get Out is terrific. Smart, funny, unnerving... I can't wait to see what Jordan Peele does next.
Insane Crazy

Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:05 pm

Starine wrote:Get Out is terrific. Smart, funny, unnerving... I can't wait to see what Jordan Peele does next.
Seriously. There were a few tiny pieces that showed his rookie status, but not many. At all. He obviously has amazing training thanks to his show and improv background, but man, oh man. If every first time feature director did that, we'd be drowning in good movies.
Tessablue

Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:14 pm

peeptoad wrote:
Tessablue wrote:I'm really not a horror person, but Get Out was excellent! Really glad my friends dragged me to it.
I am a horror person, but I haven't seen that one yet. Been hearing some really excellent things about it... Will see it soon. Very soon. Just need to get a new job first so I can focus on my actual life again. :twisted:
Aww man... good luck with the job hunt and I hope everything is well!
peeptoad

Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:04 pm

Thanks TB. Things are not so well, but I'm hanging... ;)
Starine

Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:03 pm

peeptoad wrote:Thanks TB. Things are not so well, but I'm hanging... ;)
Good luck from me as well. I'm also hunting for a new job because I just can't afford to work for peanuts anymore. And, well, if I can schedule over 900 procedures in a three month period while all the other schedulers averaged 475... we deserve better! ;)