What's for dinner?

Insane Crazy

Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:49 pm

I used to love this thread, and sometimes a nice, pleasant topic is just what the mind needs in times of turmoil.

I'm making a beef stew with mushrooms and barley. I have no idea if it's gonna work, because I've never made it before. We're not really a beef stew sort of family, but it sounds really, really good.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Somnambulist

Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:54 pm

Sushi!

Goat cheese sundried tuna roll here I come.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Insane Crazy

Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:55 pm

Somnambulist wrote:Goat cheese sundried tuna roll
WHAT.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Ballerina

Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:56 pm

spinach cheese ravioli, homemade tomato meat sauce, spinach salad
Somnambulist

Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:58 pm

Insane Crazy wrote:
WHAT.
That was meant to say sundried tomato. But yea. It's God in fish form
Insane Crazy

Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:00 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Insane Crazy wrote:
WHAT.
That was meant to say sundried tomato. But yea. It's God in fish form
I'm not usually into cheese in my sushi, but that sounds....divine.
Catalina

Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:15 pm

Taking the easy way out: Leftover rotisserie chicken with basmati rice and a mixed green salad (low fat ranch dressing on the side). And a cup of lovely Lasa Lamsa Mix black tea.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:59 pm

Sliced already-cooked chicken tenders, with sliced raw baby carrots, celery and snow peas on top of organic brown rice, with a splash of soy, rice vinegar and sake. Heated until vegies are JUST tender, then all liberally dabbed with hoisin sauce.
I think I'd eat the proverbial shoe leather if it had hoisin sauce on it. :P :lol:
Somnambulist

Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:05 pm

Insane Crazy wrote: I'm not usually into cheese in my sushi, but that sounds....divine.
It was a gamble for me as I find myself agreeing with you re: cheese, but it's goat cheese and I'm glad it worked out.

I'm poorly domesticated and don't cook.. so time consuming. I can only share all the delicious things I get when I'm out..
mimi6920

Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:50 pm

Whoa! You guys are a bunch of Martha Stewarts!! All that sounds super tasty! I am very basic: salmon (cooked in the oven) pasta roni noodles, and green giant vegetables :lol: I am embarrassed to even post that after the deliciousness you guys were posting!
stark

Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:36 pm

I'm sure my wife knows.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Insane Crazy

Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:46 pm

Ballerina wrote:spinach cheese ravioli, homemade tomato meat sauce, spinach salad
Yum. Homemade ravioli by any chance? I've always wanted to make my own, but I'm super lazy...

Mimi, I just find recipes and give them a whirl! Eventually, I figured out what I was doing, just a little, lol. Salmon sounds super tasty!
BlindLucky

Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:50 pm

Pasta and homemade garlic bread tonight. The sauce is the secret, though.

Most of the guys I work with are from NY and went to Syracuse. Apparently there's a restaurant there known for their sauce, so much so that they sell it online now. The guys bought a couple cases of it and passed it out so we could all try it, so I'm on my second jar. Really, really good stuff:

Hot Tom's Spicy Hot Tomato Oil (http://www.hottom.com/)
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
Tessablue

Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:28 pm

Man, and here I was feeling accomplished for finding some (way expired but still apparently edible) kraft mac and cheese to cook...
Insane Crazy

Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:50 pm

Tessablue wrote:Man, and here I was feeling accomplished for finding some (way expired but still apparently edible) kraft mac and cheese to cook...
Recently I was feeling sick and I came home with mac and cheese (Amy's, but only because I was in some hoity toity natural foods store and it was all they had) and made my dad bring lil' smokies. It was so GOOD. So bad. But so good.

Tonight was ribeyes (don't normally buy them, but they were on sale), cooked up baby bella mushrooms, peas, and baked potatoes. Yum.
ElPrado2

Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:05 pm

On Super Bowl Sunday?

Home made crock pot lasagna!
Garlic bread and salad. And my daughter is going on an expedition for dessert.
Plus some kind of snack, whatever she comes back with.

You should see it. 3 layers, traditional recipe, modified a bit for the crock pot, smothered in mozzarella. Only change was a little less water in the sauce.
lurkey mclurker

Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:17 pm

Probly a bacon/gouda chicken burger w avocado, and parsnip fries.

...but maybe not.
Le Beau Bai

Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:00 pm

Oven baked southern fried chicken bites with carrots, peas and sweetcorn.
peeptoad

Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:46 am

ElPrado2 wrote:

Someone made that for the potluck we had at work in December.... it was pretty tasty.

Last night I made guacamole in the food processor and ate that with chips. That's about all I had the energy for on a work night. Tonight either takeout or something I don't have to cook. :P I can't wait to retire; maybe I'll finally have time for all the stuff I want to do (hiking, gardening, cooking, canning/pickling, get a dog, etc.).
Somnambulist

Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:05 am

peeptoad wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:46 am
ElPrado2 wrote:

Someone made that for the potluck we had at work in December.... it was pretty tasty.

Last night I made guacamole in the food processor and ate that with chips. That's about all I had the energy for on a work night. Tonight either takeout or something I don't have to cook. :P I can't wait to retire; maybe I'll finally have time for all the stuff I want to do (hiking, gardening, cooking, canning/pickling, get a dog, etc.).
This rivals my dinner of 3 spoon fulls of peanut butter covered in greek yogurt and maple syrup. I did upgrade tonight and have some re-heated left over pizza. Thank God for the pizza stone. :roll: