College Football

Insane Crazy

Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:56 pm

Somnambulist wrote:I don't know much about the marketplace but if you know your insurance is expiring in 13 hours why wouldn't you have lined up another option? I'm actually not sure how cancelling that is legal, although national insurance laws would demand a notice go out 30 days prior. you would be aware. How is that on the school? I'm very confused and the info seems vague.
As far as I understood it, the students didn't know they were losing their stipend/coverage until the alert went out with very little warning. They didn't know they had to line up another option until that went out -- international students even had even been told two weeks prior their plans were going active. I guess the issue is that they are technically considered employees of the University, but surely the grad school knew sooner than that?

As far as I've gathered (not being directly involved with any protests or being a student myself, just sort of seeing it play out), it was felt that Wolfe/Loftin/etc. weren't responding at to, or were downplaying, things that were seen as major events. That led to louder and louder demands that seemed to arc into issues of doubt about whether any change could come from these leaders. Faculty groups even wrote in their beliefs that the current leadership was unfit for creating real and good change -- which I guess tells me that there was a lot of discontent unrelated to the racial issues, but that is what caught the biggest fire. Of course, there was no major move from the curators until the football team went on strike.

It's the lagging response time that sort of baffles me. At NU we had some pretty terrible, albeit isolated, things happen, and the admin responded -- even if all they could offer was platitudes and a vow to improve understanding on campus -- within 24 hours. That it apparently sometimes took days or up to a week for events that were alarming people on campus to be addressed is just bizarre from a PR perspective.

I frankly have no idea if Wolfe stepping down will do anything at all. It certainly did create some attention for the cause(s) at play. I agree, I hope those seeking positive change get what they're looking for.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
PJMIII

Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:17 am

Alabama, Notre Dame move up, while Clemson, Ohio State hold steady

With their win over LSU on Saturday, the Alabama Crimson Tide moved up to No. 2 in this week's College Football Playoff rankings.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... h-top-four
Senator L

Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:12 pm

I knew the Pope would say a prayer for Notre Dame #4 :D
No one has ever bet enough on a winning horse.
Richard Sasuly
PJMIII

Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:56 pm

Oklahoma puts dent on Baylor's CFP hopes, now controls Big 12 destiny

A Sooners spoiler along the banks of the Brazos River changed the outlook in the Big 12 Conference -- and the national playoff race.

With Baker Mayfield and Sterling Shepard hooking up often, No. 12 Oklahoma beat Baylor (No. 6 CFP, No. 4 AP) 44-34 on Saturday night to end the Bears' FBS-best 20-game home winning streak -- and likely their playoff chances.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rec ... =400763454
PJMIII

Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:41 am

No. 4 Notre Dame survives 5 turnovers to beat Boston College at Fenway Park

Notre Dame made itself at home in Boston College territory.

Taking over Fenway Park for a far-flung home game, the Fighting Irish (No. 4 CFP, No. 5 AP) spent most of it on the BC side of the field, overcoming five turnovers to beat the Eagles 19-16 on Saturday night.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rec ... =400756986
Senator L

Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:33 pm

A win is a win is a win :D
No one has ever bet enough on a winning horse.
Richard Sasuly
Starine

Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:38 am

The Hawkeyes are kind of good this year. And as an alum who made far more money betting against them while a student, I don't know how to feel about that.
PJMIII

Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:10 am

Stanford devastates Notre Dame's Playoff hopes at last second

With one eye on Stillwater, Okla., Notre Dame and Stanford met in a College Football Playoff eliminator. After a Notre Dame touchdown gave the Fighting Irish a 36-35 lead with 30 seconds left, Stanford and quarterback Kevin Hogan drove 44 yards to set up a game-winning, 45-yard field goal as time expired. With the win, the Cardinal pushed themselves deeper into the Playoff mix while shuffling the Fighting Irish (10-2) out of the picture. But will it be enough?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /76516614/
PJMIII

Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:12 pm

Les Miles gets win, carried off field in LSU home finale over Texas A&M

Les Miles rode across the Tiger Stadium field on the shoulders of his players while fans chanted his name.

It would have been quite a send-off, except LSU's administration doesn't want him going anywhere after all.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rec ... =400603917
PJMIII

Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:12 am

Tar Heels dispute late offside call in ACC championship game

Saturday's ACC championship game between No. 1 Clemson and No. 10 North Carolina ended with a 45-37 win and continued unbeaten season for the Tigers, and a disputed offside call that the Tar Heels say cost them a win.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... son-tigers
Somnambulist

Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:25 am

I think it's pretty obvious UNC was out-played on every front, but how do refs make calls like that?
dustino140

Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:47 am

Somnambulist wrote:I think it's pretty obvious UNC was out-played on every front, but how do refs make calls like that?
Why does replay review exist if you can't review non-judgement calls like this?
Somnambulist

Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:29 pm

dustino140 wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:I think it's pretty obvious UNC was out-played on every front, but how do refs make calls like that?
Why does replay review exist if you can't review non-judgement calls like this?
To suck up time and make everyone pissed off.

The refs overall this year in both the NCAA and the NFL are putrid. To me, it's worse in college.. mostly because despite a slight soft spot for LSU, I don't really have a big rooting interest. I don't cheer against any particular team and just enjoy it. So I want to see a good product. When the refs botch everything it's so annoying.
PJMIII

Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:31 am

Army-Navy: Nothing can match brother vs. brother

The annual Army-Navy football game is an event unlike any other in college athletics. Only those who participate truly understand the significance. So USA TODAY Sports asked a former player from each team to share what the game means to them.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /77160472/
PJMIII

Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:55 am

Army's disappointment, Navy's joy magnified because it's just a game

Momentum was on Army’s side, even if history was not.

Quarterback Chris Carter’s long completion to wide receiver Tyler Campbell had pushed the Cadets into Navy territory with less than three minutes left, trailing by four points, 21-17.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /77238660/
PJMIII

Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:05 am

Clemson reaches CFP title game

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rec ... =400852733

-------------------------------------------------------------

Alabama blanks Michigan State to reach CFP title game

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rec ... =400852732
seahawkgal

Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:05 pm

There is another team from Michigan ya know. They decided to show up and play unlike the other team. GoBlue!!!
They had Gator today and it tasted very good. 41-7 spanking. What a job Jim Harbaugh has done with that program. Look out Sparty and look out OSU.
Somnambulist

Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:00 am

seahawkgal wrote:There is another team from Michigan ya know. They decided to show up and play unlike the other team. GoBlue!!!
They had Gator today and it tasted very good. 41-7 spanking. What a job Jim Harbaugh has done with that program. Look out Sparty and look out OSU.
I think everyone knows there is another Michigan school... lol.

I hope this championship game isn't as BORING as the semi finals were. Blow outs are horrifically boring when you aren't really a fan of anyone in particular.
dustino140

Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:58 am

Somnambulist wrote:
seahawkgal wrote:There is another team from Michigan ya know. They decided to show up and play unlike the other team. GoBlue!!!
I think everyone knows there is another Michigan school... lol.

I hope this championship game isn't as BORING as the semi finals were. Blow outs are horrifically boring when you aren't really a fan of anyone in particular.
The semi-finals were terrible. Actually all of the bowl games have been. What a disappointing bowl season.
dustino140

Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:01 pm

In fairness, beating this Florida team isn't exactly something to get too excited about. They're terrible. Will Grier's PED suspension crippled the offense. They weren't even in the Top 6 SEC teams since he was booted.