TV Discussion Thread

serenassong

Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:35 pm

Prairie Bayou wrote:Is anyone else watching The White Queen?
Yes, it's fascinating- and they only did the one season- they knew that from the beginning.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
Prairie Bayou

Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:36 pm

I just watched Hostages. Very interesting. I have no idea where it's going but I'm hooked.
"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
BlindLucky

Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:10 pm

So The Originals premieres this Thursday, but starting next week it moves to Tuesdays at 8pm. Um, that's the same night/time slot as Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and NCIS. Dumb move if they want ratings.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:53 am

Sounds like the usual network idiocy. It drives me crazy when two (or even three) shows I like are slotted at the same time. Before I got a DVR, it meant choosing one, and missing another. I think a couple years ago, Friday nights ended up with Supernatural, Grimm and Fringe all on at the same time. The shows were clearly aimed at the same demographic, but the frelling networks didn't care if fans were screwed. :evil:
PJMIII

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:13 am

IMHO the first two Castle shows have been really good.
BlindLucky

Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:12 pm

Doctor Who series 1-7 on Blu-ray. With a sonic screwdriver universal remote.

Need.

http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who-Limite ... doctor+who
serenassong

Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:45 pm

BlindLucky wrote:Doctor Who series 1-7 on Blu-ray. With a sonic screwdriver universal remote.

Need.

http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who-Limite ... doctor+who
Ha, I always wanted a sonic screwdriver. There are also days I wish the Doctor would show up an take me on an adventure, I'm ready!
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
Carotene

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:10 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Sounds like the usual network idiocy. It drives me crazy when two (or even three) shows I like are slotted at the same time. Before I got a DVR, it meant choosing one, and missing another. I think a couple years ago, Friday nights ended up with Supernatural, Grimm and Fringe all on at the same time. The shows were clearly aimed at the same demographic, but the frelling networks didn't care if fans were screwed. :evil:

Agh yes! I remember that. I was already missing Supernatural b/c it went from its original night to Fri (and then didn't it go to Wed?) so that sealed its fate as we watched Grimm instead. I still need to catch up...don't even know how Bobby died. So, along with everything on one night, moving nights (esp fri) are my tv pet peeves!

Not sure I can catch the Originals now as I'm a SHIELD fan.

And I'm loving Castle too! I want Stana's hair and stylist lol! Really intrigued on how they're going to continue to make it work in DC and keep our other two fave detectives part of it. Liked hearing "Agent" Beckett. :)

Jenn
Formerly Play the King
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:39 pm

Re: Castle...I'm wondering if they will continue the story arc in DC for much of this season, but end up back in New York. Beckett may come to realize that she can't live with the influence high-ranking politicians have over the outcomes of the cases she works on, like this last episode, where the Navy Secretary gets off scot-free.
sweettalk

Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:07 pm

nick fury. on SHIELD. *dance* cameos like that will MAKE this show. ugh. nerd love. <3 marvel.
Prairie Bayou

Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:14 pm

sweettalk wrote:nick fury. on SHIELD. *dance* cameos like that will MAKE this show. ugh. nerd love. <3 marvel.
Yeah that was great. Though instead of destroying the device wouldn't it have been better to let Tony Stark investigate it?
"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:26 pm

We must remember that S.H.I.E.L.D. regards Tony Stark as a loose cannon, and Stark is suspicious of S.H.I.E.L.D. No love lost between the two, so it's unlikely that he would be brought in. Also unlikely that the series can afford to indulge in many Iron Man (Robert Downey$) tie-ins. :mrgreen:
Prairie Bayou

Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:23 pm

True, they didn't have to have him on the screen. They could have just mentioned him. Which I'm sure they will mention many of the characters in the future.
starrydreamer

Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:49 pm

Seasons 1-4 of The Good Wife have finally hit Hulu Plus (I have only seen about half of seasons 3 and 4. Season 3 I have on DVD, but now I can watch season 4!). Now they just need to add Big Bang Theory.
Ballerina

Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:10 pm

Project Runway's Bradon and Dom are going to fashion week. I like the both of them, but I'm leaning toward Dom. Every challenge seems effortless for her, and she gets better with each passing week.

Helen, the drama queen; Justin, and Alexandra are going to compete for the 3rd spot. Maybe without all the pressure, Helen will reach her potential. I like what she does, but she exhausts herself doing it and pretty much exhausts me, as well. just watching her tears and struggles. Yet, she always manages to come up with something great,or good. I don't think it's an act, but who knows?!~ Justin is sweet, but he can get stuck in a monotony groove. Alexandra thinks her rip/tear, slap it together looks are going to get her through. I'm surprised she made it as far as she did. She plays Miss Goody two shoes, but I think she's a back biting b****.
BlindLucky

Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:54 pm

Okay, so this is my TV VENT!

I'm catching up on Vampire Diaries because last season was just made available on Netflix yesterday. They have this whole "a vampire can sire other vampires, and then they're bound to the one that made them" thing. Okay, that's fine. That's not unique to the show's lore, so fine.

But STOP USING THE WORD WRONG! Instead of saying "this guy sired this other guy", they say "this young vampire is sired to this older guy".

Sired to? Maybe it's because I hear it so much in the horse world, but come ON you stupid TV script writers. Stop using "sired to someone". That doesn't even make any sense.

It's like saying The Factor is sired to War Front.

Just stop it. It's WRONG.

/vent off
Insane Crazy

Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:27 pm

They're using "sire" in a completely different context. In vampire lore, "siring" and "to be someone's sire" is common. On TVD, it's that, but then there's an additional sire bond that can happen sometimes (Stefan to Klaus, Tyler to Klaus, etc.), and they're using it in that way -- XX is "sire bonded to" YY. I think "sired to" is just a completely different usage from "sired by". At least, that's what I noticed when I was watching. I stopped partway through S4.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
BlindLucky

Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:05 pm

Insane Crazy wrote:They're using "sire" in a completely different context. In vampire lore, "siring" and "to be someone's sire" is common. On TVD, it's that, but then there's an additional sire bond that can happen sometimes (Stefan to Klaus, Tyler to Klaus, etc.), and they're using it in that way -- XX is "sire bonded to" YY. I think "sired to" is just a completely different usage from "sired by". At least, that's what I noticed when I was watching. I stopped partway through S4.
Yeah, I totally get what they mean, it's not unique to this show. But it just sounds stupid to say "someone is sired to someone else". They leave out the "bond" part. It just gives me the impression that someone explained the concept to the writers, and they misunderstood how to use the word :D

It just annoys me.
pointgivenfan

Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:41 am

RE: Downton Abbey.

Can we go back in time and make last night's episode not ever happen?
That'd be lovely.
"I am the man who with the utmost daring discovered what had been discovered before." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy.
Avatar: Goldikova - 2010 Prix de la Foret, copyright yours truly. =)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/timstephansen/
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:04 pm

What episode was that? I didn't think Downton Abbey had begun its new season...or are you watching it in Britain? I think the show airs there before it makes its way across The Pond to the Colonies.