TV Discussion Thread

Big Ten

Sun May 19, 2019 12:27 pm

Game of Thrones finale

Whatever happens tonight and whatever side you're on, the finale will still p*ss off alot of people. If they kill Dany, people will be p*ssed off. If they don't kill her, people will still be p*ssed off.

Dumb & Dumber AKA David & Dan really ruined her character like Rian Johnson did to Luke Skywalker. They actually ruined alot of characters on the show. Euron was actually less d*uchey in S6. I never cared for Dany but how she turned from good to mad within two episodes would tick me off too.

Ep 3 - Helps save Winterfell
Ep 4 - Watches Rhaegal & Missandei die
Ep 5 - Turns mad

During a Winterfell celebration, she even had time for Starbucks and knew how to use a sword and fight alongside Ser Friendzone before that! If she was going to turn, at least let her do something evil leading up to it. No minor hints, visions since S2, or executing Sam's father and brother. She has to do something for viewers to turn on her before she turns mad. Don't do it within TWO EPISODES!

They killed the best Lannister brother. He might have been the stupidest Lannister but he never treated Cersei or Tyrion as monsters. Jaime loved both his siblings unconditionally. Within 20 minutes of screen time, Jaime went from trying to save Winterfell to hooking up with Brienne to killing Euron after getting stabbed twice and then dying with Cersei. Wait, WHUUUT?

I predicted Jaime would kill Cersei and it was one of the few predictions I got wrong. It made sense he went back to her. He really did love her. Brienne was just some chick he kinda liked. We all knew he really didn't love Brienne. Jaime came into the world with Cersei and they left the world together.

My Top 10 Favorites Characters
1. Bronn
2. Tormund Giantsbane
3. Jaime Lannister
4. Tyrion Lannister
5. Euron Greyjoy
6. Davos Seaworth
7. Jorah Mormont
8. Olenna Tyrell
9. Cersei Lannister
10. Tywin Lannister

I love House Lannister even though I know many Dany fans or other fans in general don't.
They're the most complex family. The four actors who portrayed the main ones are all fantastic. I love lions too.

I admit I'm a Cersei fan. I care about the actual performance and I care about the depth of that character. I don't care what spectrum of good or evil they are on. I look at Cersei like a female mob boss. Like she's the female version of Michael Corleone at end of The Godfather I & II. You mess with her family, she messes with you. She's a lioness. She's a hunter of the Pride.

I never cared for Jon. He's like the Jesus Christ / Steve Rogers / Gary Stu character. I always found him stupid. He knows nothing. Why did he feel so obligated to tell Sansa about his real parents knowing Sansa hates Dany? He could've just told only Arya. And I never found the relationship between Jon & Dany to have any real chemistry. I never bought into it.

The show has been criticized for the last three seasons seeing that D&D couldn't rely on any sources from the books. And each character seemed to get stupider or useless as the seasons wore on. From Dany, Jon, Tyrion, Littlefinger, Cersei, Jaime, Varys, Tormund, etc. From The Night King and Bran's staring contest to Cersei standing outside a balcony for nearly an entire episode!

Tormund used to be a more serious character in the earlier seasons until he became the dumb and barbaric comic relief. At least he, Sam, and Gilly look to live on. They retired from the main story in Episode 4. Same with Ghost although he never got petted from Jon. Boo you, Jon! You hug Gilly but not Ghost?

Within four minutes, Bronn went from a Lannister savior to a Lannister extortionist. How the hell did Bronn even find them? Only moment in the finale that might make me smile is if Bronn finally gets his castle (Highgarden). It's a running gag and pipedream like Tormund getting Brienne. And besides, Cersei & Jaime are gone and Tyrion would need to win it all for this longshot chance to happen.

Most of my favorites or at least the interesting characters are dead! Who's the antagonist now? Dany? The writers killed off Edd, Quono, most Dothrakis, Lady Mormont, Beric, Jorah, Theon, The Night King and all the White Walkers and wights, Melisandre, Rhaegal, Missandei, Varys, Qyburn, Euron, the Clegane brothers, the Lannister twins, thousands of innocent lives in King's Landing, and Dany's soul within two episodes.

Who the hell can I root for now? The idiot Starks? The only Stark I root for isn't an idiot. And we all know what happened to Tony at the end of Endgame. The finale will center around these five major characters...

Danaerys Targaryen
Jon Snow
Sansa Stark
Arya Stark
Tyrion Lannister

Honestly, I only really like Tyrion and he's been pretty much an idiot the last four seasons when he was arguably the best one in the first four. I like Sansa enough but I'm no diehard Sansa fan. I used to hate her and liked Arya. Now it's reversed. Arya is a fan-service character for teen girls to root for. She's like Rey in Star Wars.

Sansa makes the most sense being the queen considering she is more level-headed and the most forgiving. I would like Sansa to win it all but I really don't care anymore. The scripts were leaked over a week ago. Haven't bothered to read all the spoilers. But it's gotten to a point where I really don't want to know but also don't really care who wins the Iron Throne.

The best tribute to the best GoT character ever...

Ser Jaime Lannister
https://youtu.be/9NSzl8DtdM4
Rock Hard Ten. Free House. Soul Of The Matter. Lit de Justice. Zenyatta. Justify. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. Silver Charm.
Tessablue

Sun May 19, 2019 6:46 pm

sweettalk wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 6:36 am
Tessablue wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 11:06 pm
snipped cuz this was a lot to quote, just wanted you to see this
Hahaha, love it!!
sweettalk

Sun May 19, 2019 10:51 pm

i think we both got more enjoyment out of that pic than this last episode. yikes man :lol:
BaroqueAgain1

Mon May 20, 2019 2:06 am

I know there may not have been enough mayhem for some viewers, but I think they gave us a fairly satisfactory ending.
ETA: I think that Peter Dinklage may have earned another Emmy nom for his performance tonight.
*SPOILERS FOLLOW*SPOILERS FOLLOW*SPOILERS FOLLOW*

We knew Dany might have doomed herself with her actions, but I appreciated the writers getting Jon there with through troubling encounters, probing conversations, and a lot of painful soul-searching. And not just jumping into 'Yeah, I am going to assassinate my lover/Queen.'
My favorite part may have been Drogon deliberately missing Jon, and going all Forged In Fire on that damn throne. IMHO, in the last episodes, Drogon was given some character of his own, with a living creature's expression in his eyes. I could finally see a real individual, and not just some good CGI.
The amount of happy (for GoT) outcomes for so many characters was not what I expected to see, although some were more poignant than happy. Yeah, maybe the only happy person was F***ing Bronn of the Blackwater. :P
sweettalk

Mon May 20, 2019 6:32 am

i've seen ppl discredit drogon, and that really makes me sad. especially because, you know what? he lost. of the remaining main characters, he freakin lost the hardest.

SPOILERS BELOW ** HELLA SPOILERS ** SPOILERS BELOW
  • viserion, who was locked away from him for so long, died. he saw it happen, and he and rhaegal called for him after they had escaped back to the wall.
  • the he sees... that monstrosity parading around in his brother's body. it was the brother who viserion was chained up that he fought, and drogon almost lost rhaegal TO HIM that night. no way that situation didn't weigh on him
  • he lost uncle jorah - that man had been with him since he hatched, so maybe a little more than half his life? since jorah had to go away for a bit?
  • he looked SO PROUD and RELIEVED to see rhaegal fly the next episode... only to watch axe-bathed frat pirate shoot him dead.
  • then he lost his mother. i won't get into how i felt she treated them, but he knew her as his momma, his safety, his family. without her, he had jon, at best. NOT TONIGHT! jon's the one who killed her, and he made it clear that he knew, but displayed further intelligence by knowing it wasn'r done in hatred. quite the opposite. so he obliterated the thing that ACTUALLY killed her.
he lost everything. that makes me more upset than any human arc.

so the show ends with;
  • -King Rolodex
  • -Sansa doing a brexit
  • -Arya the Explorer
  • -the guy who's awful at money as the coinmaster ("what is paying back? borrowing eh, never heard of it")
  • -Sam the "i spent three weeks at library camp" as the grand maester
  • -Brienne deciding she's done watching the stark girl and giving jaime more respect than he deserves
  • -greyworm deciding on suicide by butterfly (google "naath butterfly fever")
  • -Jon being exiled because the guy who's SAILING AWAY didn't like him
  • -Jon going "screw this i'm a wildling now" which i actually approve of
  • -dany dying from a sewing needle poke while jaime was run thru, stabbed, and still took a sprint thru the keep and only died from the cave in
  • -drogon taking dany's body... somewhere... for reasons... ???
  • -WE NEVER HEARD THE HONEYCOMB JACKASS JOKE but i like to think the punchline involved a misunderstanding of "what a sweet ass"
and literally the only scene i cared abt besides drogon's grief was HIM GOT THE GOOD BOI PATS great job excellent work, all hail Ghost
Tessablue

Mon May 20, 2019 8:21 am

sweettalk wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 10:51 pm
i think we both got more enjoyment out of that pic than this last episode. yikes man :lol:
Literally my least favorite thing in the show is Tyrion Explaining Things, so that was a waking nightmare.

I did enjoy the retroactive Death by Butterfly realization, however!
Somnambulist

Mon May 20, 2019 11:30 am

I always thought Bran was everything when I read the books so I'm not really unhappy with the ending... just very unhappy with the pacing, lack of character depth, random character changes and all the other obvious problems. I wish they'd spent this season defeating the Night King. They could have laid all the seeds of Dany's descent into madness and given us a broader backstory into Bran's "gifts", The Children, the Night King and then focused the following season on King's Landing/descent back into everyone being awful. What is the entire point of Jon's background then?

To me it's "obvious" that all the 3ER's manipulated everything to take power. I feel this was better laid out in the books (i.e. the number of very influential Bran's) but I guess Bran just because what the Children wanted the Night King to destroy in the first place. If the entire point of this show to to demonstrate that people are always going to be power hungry people, even in the face of a mystic enemy (the NK), then show it to me.

I have loved this story for years and wish that it got the ending it deserved. But I have hope. I grew up watching that old LoTR animated movie. Eventually Robert Shaye and Peter Jackson hooked up and created something magical. For all the teenage fantasy nerds out there who have yet to go to college... go into production. Give us what we deserve.

I think that we were Terry Brooks'ed. And you never want to be Terry Brooks'ed.

I'd like to take this opportunity to tell everyone to watch The Duece. This will be it's last season and the story telling is amazing. It is exceptionally timely.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
starrydreamer

Mon May 20, 2019 12:49 pm

The Tyrion Explains It All was a little tiresome, but otherwise, it was as satisfying an ending as we were going to have. The build up to the last season was so immense, there was no way it was going to exceed or even meet expectations.

Drogon and Ghost were the best parts of the episode, though.

Also, I may or may not have forgotten that Tobias Menzies was Edmure Tully, so when I saw him, I said "WHAT is Frank Randall doing here?!"
stark

Mon May 20, 2019 4:11 pm

“The finale of the show was always going to leave fans distraught after eight years of enjoyment, so we’ve launched a specialized Game of Thrones counseling service to help bereft fans seek support and get the help they need through this tough time

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/game-th ... soc_trk=tw
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
greyhorse

Mon May 20, 2019 10:31 pm

I liked it. I didn't expect Bran at all, because he repeatedly stated he couldn't do [insert job title here] because he was the Three-Eyed Raven. So I guess he gives up most of those job duties after everyone made a big deal about protecting him from TNK?

But as bittersweet as Jon's entire story was - the thanks he always got for trying to help everyone - I had a feeling he'd end up back in the North. The way he did his Winterfell farewells didn't seem right.

Arya's ending was in character.

Tyrion throwing his pin was the most shocking moment, to me, because I thought he'd be dead right then and there. But I loved him standing up to Dany.

For some reason, I didn't get emotional in this episode, like I have in other moments this season. Tyrion weeping, Dany dying, the Stark goodbyes all should've elicited something in me, but they didn't. Maybe it was the acting, I dunno. I agree that Dinklage should get another Emmy nod, and Emilia did her best acting ever this season and I hope she finally wins. And if there was a most underrated performance in the show - this season and overall - it was Alfie Allen.

The most powerful moment of the episode, to me, was the symbolism of Drogon destroying the Iron Throne. He knew that's really what killed Dany. It's what's killed so many people in history - the lust for power.

I've been obsessed with this show (and books) for a decade. It's the only TV series I've followed in that timespan. So to say I'm sad it's over would be an understatement. THere's a void in my life now, and I doubt I'll find something as good to fill it.

And now our watch has ended.
sweettalk

Mon May 20, 2019 11:14 pm

part of me is jealous of the ppl who thoroughly enjoyed this season, because the standard i came to expect, i flat out didn't see. the only way i can keep from turning this into an ugly argument is to stop posting everything that, from a writing stand point, was just complete garbage. it's beyond a "well you're just sad it's over!" or "well your expectations could never be met because the rest was so good!" you don't have to be a food expert to know when the food you are served isn't quality stuff.

i'll leave it to this meme to just summarise everything for me;

Somnambulist

Tue May 21, 2019 11:24 am

Drogon melting the throne made no sense because they never really indicated how intelligent dragons were supposed to be in the show.

Sad that it's over, only because the books and show have been an incredible source of fun for my family and I. I have so many good memories with them watching it, theorizing, reading and arguing. To not have any new GOT to BS about it a little bittersweet.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
BaroqueAgain1

Tue May 21, 2019 2:31 pm

"...because they never really indicated how intelligent dragons were supposed to be in the show. "

That's not quite true. During the period that Dany had Rhaegal and Viserion confined in those caves/dungeons under her palace in Mereen, there was a scene where Tyrion relayed some info about dragons that he had read. Yes, they were known for their intelligence, which helped encourage Tyrion when he went down into the caves while Dany was missing (flew off on Drogon). He talked to the two dragons while he removed the tight metal collars locked around their necks, and they refrained from killing him while he did it.
Another bit of knowledge that he mentioned (IIRC) was that dragons don't have gender, and all were supposedly capable of laying fertile eggs.
I keep remembering Jorah's and Tyrion's trip through part of Old Valyria, when they saw Drogon fly overhead, headed further into Valyria where dragons originated. Was it possible that Drogon had 'come of age' and was instinctively returning to that area in order to lay eggs?
Maybe Drogon will not be 'The Last Dragon,' in case anyone wants to do a new series about Arya or some other GoT character's future? ;)
sweettalk

Tue May 21, 2019 7:28 pm

i thought their intelligence was displayed to be pretty high, personally, but i'm so steeped in fantasy that depicts them as intelligent it may have just been seeping into this show. he was at least as intelligent as ghost.

one dragon was stated to be so linked to her rider that she "rose suddenly with a roar that shook the dragonpit and snapped two of the chains that bound her", so depending on what else comes with being that linked to your dragon, he may have just gotten it from dany herself. another interesting avenue to explore, lost for the A+ story telling from dumb and dumber.
sweettalk

Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:54 pm

What We Do In The Shadows is apparently done til next year... BUT THERE IS A NEXT YEAR!! :D :D :D