Would you eat your own horse?

BaroqueAgain1

Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:01 pm

I found this story on Yahoo, and I think there is an interesting question here: If your horse had to be euthanized, and the vet said the meat was safe for human consumption, could you eat it?
https://www.yahoo.com/news/i-ate-my-hor ... 19930.html
While I do not eat red meat, nor do I own a horse, I don't think what she did is wrong. Rather than just have his body hauled away to some unknown fate, why not have him processed for meat, for yourself and your friends?
I don't know that burying or cremating a horse (unless we're talking about one whose owner actually has space for a horse cemetery) honors the animal more than letting the now-empty carcass serve as food for others, whether it's your local zoo's lions, or for his human family.
Maybe it's a bit Stranger In a Strange Land, but making your friend's body part of your own seems very Circle of Life to me.
Somnambulist

Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:06 pm

I've been told horse meat tastes extremely good, and I've eaten stranger.
Catalina

Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:35 pm

I don't think I could. I had enough problems eating our chickens when it came time to shut down the summer house for the year and move back downtown. Besides, keep in mind we are used to eating meat from animals that have been bled out, and not really meat still laden with blood.
sweettalk

Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:45 pm

would i personally eat it? no. but if i absolutely had 0 space for a cremation box or land to bury it, donating the meat to places that feed the homeless or something, i might be able to get behind that.

initially i think the idea of my pet being eaten is pretty... upsetting? i guess? but it's a large animal, there is a lot of meat, and it is better than just going down to the rendering plant to have god knows what happen. i'd rather the meat go to people who need it. (actually, i'd have options planned for burial/cremation before i bought the horse, but that's perfect world type thinking.)
Catalina

Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:22 pm

But there's also the medication issue. No matter if the horse was put down in such a way that the meat is technically safe to eat, there's also the question of what medications the horse had received, shortly before death but also possibly a long time ago. Not everything clears the body soon, and some things may hang around forever. E.g. (this is hearsay), at least one wormer is supposedly listed as "not for use on meat producing animals", as supposedly is bute, and God knows what else.
Insane Crazy

Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:26 pm

I'm not inherently against it, but I probably wouldn't. I intend to only own a horse if I'm pretty sure I'd have the funds to bury or incinerate it, because that's how I'd rather handle the situation. Too emotionally attached to my big furry friend.

It'd also depend on the horse. A lot of former racehorses and show horses and whatnot have been pumped up with so many painkillers and antibiotics and whatever. I don't know that it would actually impact the meat, but....eh. Kinda squicks me out.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
sweettalk

Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:20 am

Catalina wrote:But there's also the medication issue. No matter if the horse was put down in such a way that the meat is technically safe to eat, there's also the question of what medications the horse had received, shortly before death but also possibly a long time ago. Not everything clears the body soon, and some things may hang around forever. E.g. (this is hearsay), at least one wormer is supposedly listed as "not for use on meat producing animals", as supposedly is bute, and God knows what else.
the vet said the meat was safe for human consumption
that was a pre-req in the original post. i'm not sure what they consider safe, but i also don't know what the cow that provided the steak in my grocery store's meat display ingested, either.
BlindLucky

Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:47 am

I'm too emotionally attached to horses I barely know, let alone one of my own. I'd probably sob and puke and hate myself for a really long time if I tried to eat my pet. Couldn't do it. I've switched to a mostly plant-based diet because I've been volunteering at a local rescue farm and I have fallen in love with pigs and cows. I'm such a sucker for piglets, omg.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
Sheepish

Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:55 am

I don't think I could. If I were starving and had no choice, obviously, but otherwise no. We can't bury our horses on our property because of limestone and the water table being too high, and there isn't anywhere nearby that does cremation (either a private cremation where you get the ashes back, or one where you don't) at an affordable price. You can't really justify cremating one horse for the price of enough hay to feed the rest for months. When we had a mare put down a few years back, we sent her body to a meat rendering plant. It was a tough choice, but her body wasn't her, she was gone regardless of what happened to her body after the fact.
War Admiral

Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:25 pm

I don't think I could eat ANY horse, dog, cat--- much less my own.
Government is not the solution to the problem. Government is the problem. Ronald Reagan.