My mother and the Christmas Miracle Cat

Starine

Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:41 pm

Two days before Christmas my mother, a home-health nurse, came home to her condo and found an mewing, emaciated cat with a chest wound at her front door. Hoping it belonged to a neighbor, she went inside and ignored it. But the cat's pitiful cries got to my mother, ever an animal lover, and after an hour she let the cat inside. She gave the cat a can of tuna and a bowl of the milk (which miraculously did not give the cat diarrhea), but the cat still cried and hid under the couch.

Planning to take the cat to the shelter in the morning, my mother went to bed that night with the cat still crying from under the couch. She woke up at 3 in the morning to silence and, fearing the cat dead, went out to the living room to check on her. But the cat was still alive, and spent the rest of the night dozing on the couch with my mother.

The next day my mother set up a proper litter box up for the cat, and put kept refilling the bowl of real cat food 'round the clock. The cat gobbled up every bit, in between hiding under the couch.

"He must be a Star Wars cat," exclaimed my stepfather, "Because he keeps disappearing!" (My stepfather is a 80-year-old Jewish man, and I don't think he understands pop culture references properly.) Either way, I did not think Star Wars was a real name, so I suggested my mother call the cat Kylo after the new villain. It stuck.

Meanwhile, my older sister and niece come to visit. Kylo the cat is getting braver and tolerates the attention from the two-year-old well, even letting her balance building blocks on her head. She also does not flinch when the two-year-old recites facial features. "Nose!" she declares, bopping Kylo on the nose with her short finger. "Eyes!" Kylo dodges a poke in the eye.

Now undecided what she is going to do with Kylo, my mother decides to take Kylo to a local vet. Even after a week of pigging out Kylo barely tips the scales at five pounds, and in addition to the chest wound the vet finds that she has an infection in all four paws. Her chest wound will need to be cleaned daily and her pads massaged with a poultice after having the infected skin shaved off. Though the treatment must surely be painful, the vet remarks what a sweet-natured cat Kylo must be to tolerate everything so well.

Over the next week Kylo continues to improve. Her appetite is still voracious and she is friendlier than ever. She continues to tolerate care of her chest wound and paws. When she isn't napping in my mother's lap she lets her know how much better she is feeling by exploring other parts of the condo and scaling taller pieces of furniture.

When Kylo returns to the vet a week later the vet is amazed at her progress. Kylo has put on another pound and a half, her chest wound is closing up and her feet are draining and less sensitive. As an added bonus, she tests negative for all communicable diseases and is now strong enough to receive her vaccines.

"This cat would have died had you not taken her in," the vet tells my mother.

It is curious, though, that of all the condos this cat should choose the one belonging to my mother, an animal mother and natural caregiver. This cat that rather insisted on being rescued. And though my mother is yet to call Kylo hers, the purchase of a scratching post and a bundle of toys tells me this cat is here to stay.

And I am sharing this story because my mother is a hero and I am proud that she is mine.
Attachments
rsz_kylo.jpg
rsz_kylo.jpg (57.53 KiB) Viewed 2879 times
rsz_kylo_perch.jpg
rsz_kylo_perch.jpg (14.86 KiB) Viewed 2879 times
rsz_skinny_kylo.jpg
rsz_skinny_kylo.jpg (51.01 KiB) Viewed 2879 times
Starine

Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:43 pm

More photos:
Attachments
rsz_eliana_kylo_2.jpg
rsz_eliana_kylo_2.jpg (19.46 KiB) Viewed 2877 times
rsz_eliana_w_kylo.jpg
rsz_eliana_w_kylo.jpg (15.52 KiB) Viewed 2877 times
rsz_kylo_hat.jpg
rsz_kylo_hat.jpg (27.67 KiB) Viewed 2877 times
lurkey mclurker

Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:47 pm

Your mom is awesome, and Kylo is one lucky kitty. Warm hugs and best wishes to them both! <3
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:51 pm

Kylo must have had a Christmas angel guiding her to your mom's door...because he/she knew that another angel lived there. :D
Congratulations to your wonderful mom and the new, happy, very grateful member of your family.
Last edited by BaroqueAgain1 on Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catalina

Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:05 pm

Now there's a feel good story to chase away the winter blues. Your mom is a wonderful person. Best of luck to Kylo and her new family!
luvthesales

Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:58 pm

Lovely cat, lovely mom. And pretty darned cute niece, too.

Black cats (black & white still counts!) are the best.
serenassong

Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:24 pm

None one ever owned a cat, they find their people.

Wonderful story, thanks for sharing.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
Forry Cow How

Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:09 am

I'm all choked up. What a wonderful story of a special cat and a special lady.
Insane Crazy

Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:37 am

What a lovely story. And a cute cat! I'm sure your mother and Kylo will be very happy together. :D
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
CoronadosQuest

Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:35 pm

What an adorable kitty! Your mother is a blessing since most people just ignore the cats outside, even when they are in terrible condition. The kitty picked the right condo, for sure! Bless your mother!