The VENT Thread

a Flying Brick

Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:47 pm

Horsecrazygal21 wrote:Okay, so far the last 2 dates I've went on were not good.

The first one: I thought it went well his name was Joe Clark he works as EMS/Firefighter/Photographer. I thought the date went well and that the interest was mutual given the fact that before the night was over he kissed me and agreed too a second date which never happened because he blew me off. Turns out his mother is a doctor here in town. My mother says that explains why he blew me off. I was an emotional wreck for a week afterwards. Because I have been lied to by yet another guy.

Then Thursday night I met Israel for dinner. First of all we had very little to talk about but that's not the bad part. He kept checking his cellphone during the dinner and telling me about his best friend who is a woman and who also as of Wednesday night would be moving in with him to the new house he just purchased. Not something you should tell a woman on a first date.

That first one still stings because it was the first time in a long time that I've been instantly attracted to someone and wanted a second date. Guys, if you go on a date with a woman please be honest/truthful about your interest.

May I ask how these dates are coming about? through a date service of some sort? Best way is to involve yourself with something you like where young men also participate and let them get to know you that way. It's much more relaxed and you get to observe them and they observe you. Just a thought. I see what your Mother is saying about the Firemen guy with the doctor Mother, but being a Fireman is not exactly in the ranks of being a doctor (professional vocation), so what I'm saying is that it's not like he can go around pretending his some kind of rich doctor or something. Does he live with his Mother? When it comes to relationship, Fireman and police do not score well. They usually hold the "brotherhood" of their fellow police/fire as more important than anything else. That's a general statement, but I can tell you around my town, the gossip usually involves fire/police - both male AND female. One married female cop has gone from one officer to another and if her husband (who is an attorney) doesn't know he has to be the dumbest guy on the face of the planet. It's a shame cause her husband is such a nice guy and they are married long enough to have kids in college. Real soap opera. But this is not the only instance ... story upon story re: cops/fire.
Somnambulist

Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:16 pm

If he's a liar good riddance.

Never give anyone the satisfaction of having any power of you or your emotions.
horsefan

Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:21 pm

Somnambulist wrote:If he's a liar good riddance.

Never give anyone the satisfaction of having any power of you or your emotions.
WORD! Bad news early is good news. Move on.
TapitsGal

Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:04 pm

I'm having a medically necessary total hysterectomy in November.ovaries stay in.Kerry told me this surgeries gonna pschyologically damage me..which it won't but thannkkks as if I'm not freaked out enough.I hate hospitals and got told its a 1-3 night stay.they plan on doing it laprascopically
Catalina

Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:13 pm

TapitsGal wrote:I'm having a medically necessary total hysterectomy in November.ovaries stay in.Kerry told me this surgeries gonna pschyologically damage me..which it won't but thannkkks as if I'm not freaked out enough.I hate hospitals and got told its a 1-3 night stay.they plan on doing it laprascopically
Sorry to hear that, TG. Laparoscopically is good, it has a far faster recovery time than when they have get it out via a laparotomy.
Ballerina

Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:05 pm

"Bill, would you like a sandwich?"

Response - "NO!"

"Are you sure?"

Response - "YES. Why do you have to ask twice?"

I make a sandwich for myself and put all the stuff back in the fridge.

As I'm walking by Bill in his recliner, he says "Lemme have a bite."

I hold half a sandwich out to him. He practically takes the whole thing in his mouth. He munches awhile and says, "Hey that's pretty good. Would you mind making me one?"

I said, "Take that one, I'll make another for myself. And the next time I ask you if you want something to eat, I'm going to ask you THREE x's."
serenassong

Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:21 pm

Ballerina wrote:"Bill, would you like a sandwich?"

Response - "NO!"

"Are you sure?"

I hold half a sandwich out to him. He practically takes the whole thing in his mouth. He munches awhile and says, "Hey that's pretty good. Would you mind making me one?"

I said, "Take that one, I'll make another for myself. And the next time I ask you if you want something to eat, I'm going to ask you THREE x's."

What a typical man- perhaps you should get the grapes ready as well :lol: - sounds like he's feeling just fine :D
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
starrydreamer

Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:58 am

TapitsGal wrote:I'm having a medically necessary total hysterectomy in November.ovaries stay in.Kerry told me this surgeries gonna pschyologically damage me..which it won't but thannkkks as if I'm not freaked out enough.I hate hospitals and got told its a 1-3 night stay.they plan on doing it laprascopically
Gee, thanks Kerry? As if you're not nervous enough. My MIL had a total hysterectomy a few years ago. It sucks, but you'll get through it.

I'm taking a freelance copywriter position, because there is just nothing out there and our homeowner's insurance just informed us that we need to fix the chimney (to the house we bought 3 weeks ago). We were planning on closing it off in a year or two, then buying a new water heater (our current water heater vents out the chimney) and venting it out the side of the house... but it looks like we're going to do it now. We can barely afford it, and on top of that, we're trying to get pregnant. Good thing the pregnancy thing hasn't happened yet or the Husband would really be panicking.

Hiring for the judicial clerkships, which is the job I really want, is going to be sketchy while the govt is shut down.
Somnambulist

Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:54 am

starrydreamer wrote:
Gee, thanks Kerry? As if you're not nervous enough. My MIL had a total hysterectomy a few years ago. It sucks, but you'll get through it.

I'm taking a freelance copywriter position, because there is just nothing out there and our homeowner's insurance just informed us that we need to fix the chimney (to the house we bought 3 weeks ago). We were planning on closing it off in a year or two, then buying a new water heater (our current water heater vents out the chimney) and venting it out the side of the house... but it looks like we're going to do it now. We can barely afford it, and on top of that, we're trying to get pregnant. Good thing the pregnancy thing hasn't happened yet or the Husband would really be panicking.

Hiring for the judicial clerkships, which is the job I really want, is going to be sketchy while the govt is shut down.
Sorry to hear. It's so brutal finding any gainful employment out there these days I just don't know why I don't just pick a corner and do that. I hope some good luck finds your way.

And hey, if you ever want to move back to the abyss I can ask around my office to see where is hiring.
Catalina

Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:01 am

starrydreamer wrote: I'm taking a freelance copywriter position, because there is just nothing out there and our homeowner's insurance just informed us that we need to fix the chimney (to the house we bought 3 weeks ago). We were planning on closing it off in a year or two, then buying a new water heater (our current water heater vents out the chimney) and venting it out the side of the house... but it looks like we're going to do it now. We can barely afford it, and on top of that, we're trying to get pregnant. Good thing the pregnancy thing hasn't happened yet or the Husband would really be panicking.

Shouldn't there also be judicial clerkships at the state level? Plus, of course, there may eventually be less competition for the federal ones because of the shutdown. Bummer about the chimney.
Catalina

Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:03 am

Ballerina wrote:"Bill, would you like a sandwich?"

Response - "NO!"

"Are you sure?"

So funny.
Horsecrazygal21

Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:18 pm

I had to get glasses today. I was hoping I would make it to 30 before I had to get glasses again (I had them in 1st-5th grade) alas, I am 4 years shy. It cost me $178
Catalina

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:07 am

Horsecrazygal21 wrote:I had to get glasses today. I was hoping I would make it to 30 before I had to get glasses again (I had them in 1st-5th grade) alas, I am 4 years shy. It cost me $178
Ah, I'd be delighted with $178. These days I'm into progressive bifocals, which run rather more than that. Fortunately I try to keep the same frame for several years, so that at least helps.
Somnambulist

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:10 am

Catalina wrote:Ah, I'd be delighted with $178. These days I'm into progressive bifocals, which run rather more than that. Fortunately I try to keep the same frame for several years, so that at least helps.
For serious! I have horrific vision.. my last pair cost me $300+.. and that was after insurance helped me and etc. And a year later they're uncorrected in one lens.. ugh. My plan only helps cover it every other year (massive annoyance). This girl I used to work with told me once she wished she needed glasses. I want to slap her.

I hope one day to meet a genie just so I can see when I wake up.
Catalina

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:32 am

Somnambulist wrote:
Catalina wrote:Ah, I'd be delighted with $178. These days I'm into progressive bifocals, which run rather more than that. Fortunately I try to keep the same frame for several years, so that at least helps.
For serious! I have horrific vision.. my last pair cost me $300+.. and that was after insurance helped me and etc. And a year later they're uncorrected in one lens.. ugh. My plan only helps cover it every other year (massive annoyance). This girl I used to work with told me once she wished she needed glasses. I want to slap her.

Almost makes it worthwhile to check into corrective surgery. You'd break even after a few years.
starrydreamer

Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:11 pm

Somnambulist wrote:

People who wear glasses without need for a prescription deserve a slap. I got my first pair of glasses in the 2nd grade (they were plastic, light pink in color). I got a pair of glasses about 4.5 years ago and they cost about that amt too ($300+ after insurance). My prescription is so high (10.something in each eye for glasses) that I have to get the special condensed "skinny" lenses that are super expensive. The only good thing is that my eyes are equally horrible, and wearing contacts has slowed the progressive march to blindness a little bit. I shudder to think what will happen in another 30 years. Hopefully by then they can just fit me with robot eyes or something.

My eye doctor in NYC (who was basically the most awesome eye doctor ever) told me not to bother with lasix, too. He said that because I'm so nearsighted, there's no point. They can't fix the way my eyeballs have become distorted.
Ballerina

Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:30 pm

"Doreen, would you like a lemon poppyseed muffin with your coffee?"

"Yes, dear, that would be nice."

"I can't cut them as nice as you do, so would you make them?"

Ballerina

Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:36 pm

Went to Kohl's today. Sometimes I think I live in the place. At any rate, I was shopping for underwear and jammies. After an hour of deciding what to buy, I go the checkout. One cashier and about 20 people on line. Of course, I'm #20. All of a sudden, alarms go off. Security personnel are there ushering everyone out of the store - bomb scare. Of course, we have to deposit our potential purchases into bins on the way out of the store. That really fried me. All that time shopping, and I couldn't buy the stuff. Well, I wasn't going to wait around for them to say it was safe to go back in the store as that was going to take a long time. But the store manager did come out with coupons for 30% out next visit. Big deal - I already had one. Now I just have to remember what it was I wanted to buy so I can pick it up next time. No report yet that they found any bomb, but they had a sniffer dog going through the store to check it out. Hope the doggy is okay and didn't find anything.
serenassong

Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:51 pm

Ballerina wrote:"Doreen, would you like a lemon poppyseed muffin with your coffee?"

"Yes, dear, that would be nice."

"I can't cut them as nice as you do, so would you make them?"

How many grapes have you peeled by now? :D
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
islandgirl45

Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:23 pm

starrydreamer wrote:People who wear glasses without need for a prescription deserve a slap. I got my first pair of glasses in the 2nd grade (they were plastic, light pink in color). I got a pair of glasses about 4.5 years ago and they cost about that amt too ($300+ after insurance). My prescription is so high (10.something in each eye for glasses) that I have to get the special condensed "skinny" lenses that are super expensive. The only good thing is that my eyes are equally horrible, and wearing contacts has slowed the progressive march to blindness a little bit. I shudder to think what will happen in another 30 years. Hopefully by then they can just fit me with robot eyes or something.

My eye doctor in NYC (who was basically the most awesome eye doctor ever) told me not to bother with lasix, too. He said that because I'm so nearsighted, there's no point. They can't fix the way my eyeballs have become distorted.
I wouldn't bother with lasix either. :)

But maybe there's something other than LASIK that would work for you. There's another technique that uses a Visian ICL implantable collamer lens (also known medically as a phakic intraocular lens). It corrects severe myopia that can't be treated by the LASIK procedure. Don't think it corrects astigmatism, but LASIK can, so theoretically someone could potentially have both procedures. Here's a couple links that discuss the implantable collamer lens. I used to wear the same kind of glasses you described (I think they were called high-index plastic or something) to keep them from looking like Coke bottles, lol. Got my first pair in 5th grade. Had to get prescription dark glasses, too, which were even more obscenely expensive.
Then, in Summer 2002 I bought a $10 scratch-off ticket and won $10,000/$7,500 net, of which a little more than half went toward wave-front guided LASIK to correct my vision. Best money I ever spent on anything. It's no exaggeration to say it changed by life to get rid of glasses. Seeing when you get up in the morning is great! :)
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
~President Dwight Eisenhower