BaroqueAgain?????

BaroqueAgain1

Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:21 am

Wildfire burning through forty years of heavy, unburned brush pushed by tropical-storm-level winds, after years of drought? Yeah, it was a firestorm.
There weren't fire trucks anywhere near my place when it went...and I wouldn't have ever wanted to put firefighters in front of that vicious onslaught of flame.
Should have just dumped the contents of the safe into a paper bag. Sure would have made things a whole lot easier on me. :roll:
&*@#ing paperwork and red tape. :evil:
Stark, if you want to see some stunningly stark views, try taking Kanan south toward the ocean for four to six miles. On flat areas, grass is coming in bright green. On the steep slopes and in the canyons, it burned down to dirt and rock. There's great beauty in the scorched-black rocks and steep stony peaks, which you can see so clearly now with no vegetation softening the granite bones of the Santa Monica Mountains.
stark

Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:35 am

Will do next time I'm in the area, I've driven Kanan a thousand times just for pleasure and the beauty of getting down to Pepperdine!
I was surprised, even as I traveled on out to Camarillo yesterday how the fire(s) came right down to the freeway in so many different areas along the 101.

Plenty ugly.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Catalina

Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:26 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:25 am
Thanks everyone. I appreciate your kind words and thoughts, but....
I'm afraid that I'm the one who has to fill out all the pages of lost contents and the applications for lost papers like birth certificate and passport.
Had my important documents in a supposedly-fireproof lock box. Turned out to be not so fireproof. :shock:
Not too shocking that the asbestos-lined hunk of hardened steel was left in crumbling pieces (and papers mere charred dust) when the heavy steel beams underlying my home warped and twisted like a nightmare roller coaster from the intense heat.
Steel beams? Wow... Was your house on a slope, or are steel beams a normal California construction requirement, maybe because of the higher earthquake potential?
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:19 pm

I had a mobilehome. They're constructed on a steel girder chassis so that they can be placed on axles and moved.
Not fancy, but it's actually the best place to be in an earthquake. Everything flexes and nothing heavy falls on your head. :D
Catalina

Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:26 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:19 pm
I had a mobilehome. They're constructed on a steel girder chassis so that they can be placed on axles and moved.
Not fancy, but it's actually the best place to be in an earthquake. Everything flexes and nothing heavy falls on your head. :D
:lol: I can see why nothing heavy to fall on your head would be appealing. And , easier to "rebuild"!
The Doctors Saint

Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:13 pm

|SO, SO, SO RELIEVED you're OK!
starrydreamer

Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:38 pm

Very sorry to hear about your home, but glad you are okay!
sweettalk

Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:28 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:21 am
Wildfire burning through forty years of heavy, unburned brush pushed by tropical-storm-level winds, after years of drought? Yeah, it was a firestorm.
There weren't fire trucks anywhere near my place when it went...and I wouldn't have ever wanted to put firefighters in front of that vicious onslaught of flame.
Should have just dumped the contents of the safe into a paper bag. Sure would have made things a whole lot easier on me. :roll:
&*@#ing paperwork and red tape. :evil:
Stark, if you want to see some stunningly stark views, try taking Kanan south toward the ocean for four to six miles. On flat areas, grass is coming in bright green. On the steep slopes and in the canyons, it burned down to dirt and rock. There's great beauty in the scorched-black rocks and steep stony peaks, which you can see so clearly now with no vegetation softening the granite bones of the Santa Monica Mountains.
BUT YOU'RE ALIVE AND SAFE AND YOU'RE OK AND THIS IS MY BEST CHRISTMAS GIFT because i like you and was so so worried but you're ok. i actually teared up.

i'm sorry you lost everything. i can't replace any of it but i can remind you that you're loved by someone you barely know.
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:40 pm

Aw, that's so sweet, Sweettalk.
I may have lost my home and almost everything I owned, but my cats and I are safe. And this has turned out to be a pretty wonderful Christmas anyway because of the support and love of my family and friends.
That's priceless.