And The Oscar Goes To.....

stark

Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:18 am

Odds-on favorite for Best Picture and Best Director is a Foreign Language film.
Rami Malek and Glenn Close both heavy favorites for the main individual awards.

What say you?

Wake me when it's over.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:29 pm

Here's something I don't understand.....

Despite the Academy's efforts to secure Kendrick Lamar and SZA for a performance of the Oscar-nominated song "All the Stars" from "Black Panther" on the upcoming Oscars telecast, the duo will not be a part of the show. The reason, according to a source close to the situation, is logistics and timing. Lamar was also a no-show at the Grammys this year.

The song will not be performed by another act, an Academy source confirmed.
Kurenai
Site Admin

Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:41 pm

I honestly don't get the buzz about Rami Malek. He did a good job, given the material he had to work with (not a big fan of the Queen movie, it barely scratched the surface and they made so much stuff up, plus Freddy came across very one dimensional) and yes he put obviously work into it, but Oscar worthy performance? Nah. I would give it to Bradley Cooper. He had to learn how to sing, play guitar and piano, did a heck of a job with altering his voice to sound like Sam Eliotts and all that while also directing the movie. For me that was outstanding.

Best actress is a tough one. I loved Lady Gaga in that role, but still would give it to Glenn Close, because she was nominated six times and always went without one. Lady Gaga is still young, she will have (if she wants to) get more chances.

I didn't see Roma, the Favourite and Vice yet. The rest I saw and for me it would be A Star Is Born or Green Book.
ThreeMustangs

Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:56 pm

The Melissa McCarthy and Brian Tyree Henry Costume Design bit was pretty funny.
stark

Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:13 pm

Speaking of costumes...
How in the heck do the ladies get seated with those long trains that are all over the floor?
And while we're at it, is the bathroom stall even a possibility? Need to take an assistant with you?
ElPrado2

Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:32 pm

Very carefully.

Possibly three assistants.
I'm picturing two holding the train. One to help zip and unzip. They can't possibly attempt to reach a back zipper, they were sewn into those things.
starrydreamer

Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:55 pm

stark wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:13 pm
Speaking of costumes...
How in the heck do the ladies get seated with those long trains that are all over the floor?
And while we're at it, is the bathroom stall even a possibility? Need to take an assistant with you?
It's not that hard to sit. You gather up the back of the skirt to make sure you aren't standing on it (and no one else is either), then you sit.

Bathroom is a bit more tricky. Depending on the dress, might require an assistant (or friend) to help. Bigger bathroom stalls are wonderful. I had a friend getting married who needed her maid of honor to hold the train and the bridesmaids to stand in front of the stall door to provide privacy so she could pee.